|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who nurses Nelly to health when she becomes ill in Chapter 23?
2. Whom does Nelly hear Heathcliff talking to when he returns in the night in Chapter 34?
3. How does Heathcliff say he feels about his son when he first sees him in Chapter 20?
4. What color hair is young Catherine Linton described as having in Chapter 18?
5. What is Nelly's response when Edgar asks why Linton has not written or visited in Chapter 25?
(a) He is forbidden.
(b) He is likely angry.
(c) He is illiterate.
(d) He is likely ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years does Heathcliff say Catherine has disturbed him night and day in Chapter 29?
2. What word, meaning devilish or fiendish, does Edgar use to describe Heathcliff in Chapter 21?
3. Who comes looking for Catherine and Nelly at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 27?
4. How much older is Hareton than Catherine?
5. What stipulation does Edgar make in his letter to Wuthering Heights in the conclusion of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Dean describe Cathy's behavior after the death of Linton in Chapter 30?
2. What causes the conflict between Catherine and Linton in Chapter 23? How is the conflict resolved?
3. How does Catherine feel about her father's return with her cousin in Chapter 19?
4. Where does Linton meet Cathy and Nelly in Chapter 26? Why does he meet them at this location?
5. Why does Edgar consent to allow Cathy to make a visit to Linton in Chapter 25? Is this a wise choice?
6. What leads to Catherine's change of heart regarding visiting the Heights in Chapter 22?
7. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 21? How does Nelly handle the matter?
8. What does Cathy beg of Nelly after her confession in Chapter 24? How does Nelly respond?
9. How does Cathy feel about her visit to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 27? Why?
10. How does Heathcliff describe his duties to and expectations of his son in Chapter 20?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)