|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does Mr. Lockwood see on the gate to Mr. Heathcliff's estate in Chapter 1?
2. What does Catherine compare her love for Edgar with in Chapter 9?
(a) Foliage in the woods.
(b) Feathers in the wind.
(c) Smoke from a campfire.
(d) Eternal rocks.
3. What does Nelly eventually agree to do under Heathcliff's insistence in Chapter 14?
(a) Take a letter from him to Catherine.
(b) Murder Edgar.
(c) Obtain divorce papers for him.
(d) Tell Edgar that Catherine is dying.
4. What does Heathcliff place in the locket Catherine wears in her death-bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A gemstone.
(c) A lock of his hair.
5. What is the name of the bride that Hindley brings home in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nelly tells Edgar about Isabella's letter in Chapter 14, he tells her that if Isabella wants to oblige his wishes, then she should convince her husband to do what?
2. How old is Cathy in Chapter 8 when Mrs. Dean describes her as "the queen of the country-side"?
3. Where does Heathcliff tell Nelly he will stay the night and wait for further word about Catherine's condition in Chapter 15?
4. On what day of the week is Catherine's funeral in Chapter 16?
5. What does young Hareton do when he first sees Nelly outside of his family's home in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the conflict when Mr. Lockwood leaves Wuthering Heights in Chapter 2?
2. How does Mrs. Dean describe Catherine's behavior when she first encounters her in her room in Chapter 12?
3. What causes the conflict between Heathcliff and Edgar in Chapter 7? How is Heathcliff punished?
4. How does Mrs. Dean describe the influence of Joseph in the Earnshaw household in Chapter 5?
5. How much time has passed since Isabella's disappearance in Chapter 13? What happened during this time?
6. What is the cause of the conflict between Catherine and Heathcliff in Chapter 8?
7. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changes in the Earnshaw household after the birth of Hareton in Chapter 8?
8. What secret does Catherine tell Nelly in Chapter 9? Why is Catherine conflicted about this secret?
9. What events and circumstances at Wuthering Heights does Nelly learn about in Chapter 17?
10. In what year does the novel begin? Where is Mr. Lockwood when his character is first introduced?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)