|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months premature is Catherine's daughter born in Chapter 16?
(a) 3 months' premature.
(b) 1 month premature.
(c) 4 months' premature.
(d) 2 months' premature.
2. What word from Chapter 14 means to express sharp, stern disapproval of something?
3. Whom does Heathcliff vow to have revenge on in Chapter 7?
(d) Mr. Earnshaw.
4. What is the name of the bride that Hindley brings home in Chapter 6?
5. When Nelly tells Edgar about Isabella's letter in Chapter 14, he tells her that if Isabella wants to oblige his wishes, then she should convince her husband to do what?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Leave the country.
(c) Sell Wuthering Heights to Edgar.
(d) File for divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Earnshaw discover Heathcliff as an orphan?
2. Where does Catherine move after marrying Edgar?
3. What does Catherine compare her love for Heathcliff with in Chapter 9?
4. According to the maid's story, where did Isabella and Heathcliff stop to have a horse's shoe fastened at a blacksmith in Chapter 12?
5. Who is the elderly male servant at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heathcliff respond when Nelly informs him of Catherine's death in Chapter 16?
2. What does Nelly encounter when she travels to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 14?
3. How is Mr. Heathcliff's estate described in Chapter 1? Where is this estate in relation to Thrushcross Grange?
4. What secret does Catherine tell Nelly in Chapter 9? Why is Catherine conflicted about this secret?
5. What causes the conflict when Mr. Lockwood leaves Wuthering Heights in Chapter 2?
6. How much time has passed since Isabella's disappearance in Chapter 13? What happened during this time?
7. How is Mr. Lockwood greeted when he arrives at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 2?
8. How does Heathcliff respond to Catherine when she accuses him of using Isabella to hurt her in Chapter 11?
9. How does the atmosphere of the Earnshaw home change when Hindley returns in Chapter 6?
10. How does Mrs. Dean describe the influence of Joseph in the Earnshaw household in Chapter 5?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)