|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine say she cannot reply to Nelly's letter in Chapter 31?
(a) She is illiterate.
(b) She has no paper.
(c) She is forbidden.
(d) She is too sick.
2. Where does Nelly discover Cathy's hidden letters in Chapter 21?
(a) Under her pillow.
(b) In a kitchen cabinet.
(c) In a drawer in the library.
(d) In her bedroom dresser drawer.
3. What does Catherine begin picking when Linton falls asleep in Chapter 26?
4. What does Catherine ask of Nelly after she confesses about her recent visits to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 24?
(a) She asks Nelly to call on Heathcliff.
(b) She asks Nelly to call on Linton.
(c) She asks Nelly not to tell her mother.
(d) She asks Nelly not to tell her father.
5. What month is it when Heathcliff leaves home overnight and returns home overjoyed in Chapter 34?
6. Who has been sent to retrieve Linton to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 19?
7. Who is to act as guardian of Catherine when she visits Linton in Chapter 25?
8. What word from Chapter 33 refers to the inner drive that causes a person to perform actions against his or her will?
9. What word from Chapter 20 refers to a unfortunate or unhappy person?
10. At what time does Mr. Lockwood arrive at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 31?
(a) 12:00 a.m.
(b) 8:00 p.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 11:00 a.m.
11. Where is Nelly working when Mr. Lockwood visits in Chapter 32?
(a) Wharton's Mill.
(b) Thrushcross Grange.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) The Gimmerton Inn.
12. Whom does Nelly hear Heathcliff talking to when he returns in the night in Chapter 34?
13. Whom does Nelly find young Catherine talking to at Wuthering Heights after she has stolen away from home in Chapter 18?
14. What is the name of young Catherine's pony in Chapter 18?
15. Where has it been rumored that Nelly became lost in Chapter 28?
(a) The Pinnacles.
(b) The marsh.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Linton tell Cathy they are to be married when she is locked in his house in Chapter 27?
2. Who is the stable-hand that Cathy has been bribing to help her sneak out every day in Chapter 24?
3. What does Hareton do that offends and upsets Catherine in Chapter 30?
4. Who accompanies Cathy on a walk around Wuthering Heights in Chapter 21?
5. Who is the maid that Linton calls for in Chapter 23?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)