|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator's boss most similar to?
2. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
3. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
4. At whose house do the narrator and Louise carry on an affair?
5. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
2. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
3. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
4. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
5. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
6. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
7. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
8. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
9. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
10. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Elgin as a character in this novel. Why is Elgin significant? What is his role in the story? What makes him likable or unlikable? What quote defines him the most?
Essay Topic 2
How does suspicion and mistrust become a theme in the novel? Describe an instance in the novel, and explain why this is significant.
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator simply using Jacqueline, or does he or she feel genuine affection for her? Why do you think this is so? Why does the narrator stay with Jacqueline? What does this tell the reader about the narrator?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)