|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator get thrown out of?
2. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
3. What actually causes Elgin to show emotion?
4. What must be damaged to free the narrator from handcuffs?
5. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does irony play in this novel? Consider Jacqueline's heart break when the narrator reveals to her that he or she has been having an affair with Louise. Why is this ironic? Why is this important to note?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Gail's role in the novel. Why do you think Gail is significant to the novel's plot? Do you think that Gail's character was necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)