|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elgin want Louise to go for treatment?
2. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
3. What location does the narrator call while looking for Louise and after returning from the countryside?
4. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
5. When back in London, where does the narrator first go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
2. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
3. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
4. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
5. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
6. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
7. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
8. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
9. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
10. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator simply using Jacqueline, or does he or she feel genuine affection for her? Why do you think this is so? Why does the narrator stay with Jacqueline? What does this tell the reader about the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)