|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
2. Upon moving to the country, what does the narrator begin to study?
3. How does the narrator view Elgin's attempts to get the narrator to move away?
4. Where does the narrator go in an attempt to find comfort in the countryside?
5. What does the narrator begin to find comfort in while living in the countryside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
2. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
3. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
4. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
5. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
6. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
7. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
8. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
9. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
10. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Elgin as a character in this novel. Why is Elgin significant? What is his role in the story? What makes him likable or unlikable? What quote defines him the most?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)