|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the message of the story, what is love more than?
2. Who does the narrator give the key to the handcuffs?
3. How does the narrator get back to London from the countryside?
4. Where does the narrator get thrown out of?
5. Who does the narrator alert to help him or her out of handcuffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
2. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
3. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
4. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
5. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
6. Why does Louise file for divorce?
7. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
8. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
9. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
10. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
Essay Topic 2
What is your favorite theme in the novel? Why? How is this theme represented? Sample themes include love with no boundaries, suspicion, and betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)