|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
2. According to the message of the story, what is love more than?
3. Which of the following becomes most important to the narrator by the end of the novel?
4. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
5. What language does the narrator translate for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
2. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
3. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
4. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
5. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
6. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
7. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
8. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
9. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
10. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is choice a theme in the novel? Which characters make important choices? What are the effects of these choices? How does the theme of choice affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)