|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the note that the narrator leaves for Louise?
2. What does the narrator first notice that is odd about the cottage upon returning?
3. Which of the following best describes the narrator's emotional state while living in the countryside?
4. What does Louise say about seeking treatment?
5. Where does Elgin want Louise to go for treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
2. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
3. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
4. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
5. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
6. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
7. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
8. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
9. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
10. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your favorite theme in the novel? Why? How is this theme represented? Sample themes include love with no boundaries, suspicion, and betrayal.
Essay Topic 2
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)