|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of feelings does the narrator's boss have for the narrator?
2. What actually causes Elgin to show emotion?
3. Who does the narrator believe is waiting for him or her in the cottage upon returning?
4. Which of the following best describes the narrator's emotional state while living in the countryside?
5. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
2. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
3. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
4. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
5. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
6. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
7. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
8. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
9. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
10. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)