|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose house do the narrator and Louise carry on an affair?
2. Which of the following shows how the narrator has grown from the beginning of the novel to the end?
3. After how many weeks searching for Louise does the narrator decide to go back to the country?
4. What actually causes Elgin to show emotion?
5. How long do Louise and the narrator live together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
2. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
3. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
4. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
5. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
6. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
7. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
8. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
9. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
10. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters to analyze in terms of their perceptions of humanity. How do these three characters perceive the nature of humanity? Do they have generally positive or negative outlooks? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)