|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the narrator translate for work?
2. What happens when the narrator becomes so obsessed with Louise?
3. At whose house do the narrator and Louise carry on an affair?
4. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
5. Which ex-lover seems to effect the narrator the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
2. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
3. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
4. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
5. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
6. What is Louise's goal throughout the novel? Has she achieved this goal yet?
7. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
8. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
9. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
10. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Gail's role in the novel. Why do you think Gail is significant to the novel's plot? Do you think that Gail's character was necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)