|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the narrator that he or she made a mistake in trusting Elgin?
2. Which pairing of characters has the most sexual tension?
3. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
4. What must be damaged to free the narrator from handcuffs?
5. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
2. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
3. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
4. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
5. Why does Louise file for divorce?
6. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
7. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
8. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
9. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
10. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the relationship between Louise and Elgin. Why is it important to note the status of their relationship? What type of relationship do they have? Does this justify Louise's affair with the narrator?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)