|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator give the key to the handcuffs?
2. Why does Louise finally decide to leave Elgin?
3. Who tells the narrator that he or she made a mistake in trusting Elgin?
4. What does the narrator hope for Louise when he moves away?
5. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
2. What is Louise's goal throughout the novel? Has she achieved this goal yet?
3. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
4. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
5. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
6. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
7. Why does Louise file for divorce?
8. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
9. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
10. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your favorite theme in the novel? Why? How is this theme represented? Sample themes include love with no boundaries, suspicion, and betrayal.
Essay Topic 2
What are Elgin's intentions in sending Louise away? Why can the reader see the situation more clearly than the narrator can? Why is the narrator able to leave Louise?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters to analyze in terms of their perceptions of humanity. How do these three characters perceive the nature of humanity? Do they have generally positive or negative outlooks? How do you know?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)