|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bill does the narrator pay for a full year before moving?
2. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
3. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
4. Who does the narrator give the key to the handcuffs?
5. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
2. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
3. What is Gail's role in the novel?
4. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
5. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
6. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
7. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
8. What is Louise's goal throughout the novel? Has she achieved this goal yet?
9. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
10. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
How is choice a theme in the novel? Which characters make important choices? What are the effects of these choices? How does the theme of choice affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the relationship between Louise and Elgin. Why is it important to note the status of their relationship? What type of relationship do they have? Does this justify Louise's affair with the narrator?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)