|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up being at the cottage when the narrator returns from London?
2. Which character would be considered to be the most heroic in the novel?
3. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
4. How does the narrator view Elgin's attempts to get the narrator to move away?
5. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Louise's goal throughout the novel? Has she achieved this goal yet?
2. Why does Louise file for divorce?
3. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
4. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
5. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
6. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
7. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
8. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
9. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
10. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
Essay Topic 2
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)