|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Louise and the narrator live together?
2. Who does the narrator find the most love with?
3. What does Elgin get tired of hearing?
4. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
5. At whose house do the narrator and Louise carry on an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
2. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
3. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
4. What is Louise's goal throughout the novel? Has she achieved this goal yet?
5. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
6. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
7. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
8. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
9. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
10. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
Essay Topic 3
What role does irony play in this novel? Consider Jacqueline's heart break when the narrator reveals to her that he or she has been having an affair with Louise. Why is this ironic? Why is this important to note?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)