|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the symbol of mistrust in the novel?
2. What location does the narrator call while looking for Louise and after returning from the countryside?
3. Why does the narrator try to distance himself/herself from his/her boss?
4. How long do Louise and the narrator live together?
5. Whose mother does the narrator visit in search of Louise?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
2. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
3. Why does Louise file for divorce?
4. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
5. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
6. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
7. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
8. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
9. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
10. What is Gail's role in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters to analyze in terms of their perceptions of humanity. How do these three characters perceive the nature of humanity? Do they have generally positive or negative outlooks? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What role does irony play in this novel? Consider Jacqueline's heart break when the narrator reveals to her that he or she has been having an affair with Louise. Why is this ironic? Why is this important to note?
Essay Topic 3
What is your favorite theme in the novel? Why? How is this theme represented? Sample themes include love with no boundaries, suspicion, and betrayal.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)