|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following proves that Louise has deep love for the narrator?
2. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
3. What happens when the narrator becomes so obsessed with Louise?
4. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
5. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
2. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
3. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
4. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
5. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
6. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
7. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
8. What is Gail's role in the novel?
9. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
10. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
Essay Topic 3
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)