|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's boss urge him or her to do?
2. What does the narrator hope for Louise when he moves away?
3. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
4. What does Elgin tell the narrator when the narrator is looking for Louise?
5. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
2. What is Gail's role in the novel?
3. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
4. Why does Louise file for divorce?
5. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
6. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
7. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
8. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
9. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
10. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters to analyze in terms of their perceptions of humanity. How do these three characters perceive the nature of humanity? Do they have generally positive or negative outlooks? How do you know?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)