|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise say about seeking treatment?
2. What type of animal does the narrator adopt?
3. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
4. While living in the countryside, who does the narrator try to contact about Louise's health?
5. Who does the narrator give the key to the handcuffs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Elgin as a character in this novel. Why is Elgin significant? What is his role in the story? What makes him likable or unlikable? What quote defines him the most?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator simply using Jacqueline, or does he or she feel genuine affection for her? Why do you think this is so? Why does the narrator stay with Jacqueline? What does this tell the reader about the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
What role does irony play in this novel? Consider Jacqueline's heart break when the narrator reveals to her that he or she has been having an affair with Louise. Why is this ironic? Why is this important to note?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)