|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be damaged to free the narrator from handcuffs?
2. Why does the narrator decide to go back to the countryside after looking for Louise?
3. Which pairing of characters has the most sexual tension?
4. What is the name of the narrator's boss?
5. Which of the following shows how the narrator has grown from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louise file for divorce?
2. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
3. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
4. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
5. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
6. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
7. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
8. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
9. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
10. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that the narrator is male or female? What clues point to the narrator being of either gender? Use at least two quotes from the novel to back up your points.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters to analyze in terms of their perceptions of humanity. How do these three characters perceive the nature of humanity? Do they have generally positive or negative outlooks? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)