|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon moving to the country, what does the narrator begin to study?
2. Who does the narrator believe is waiting for him or her in the cottage upon returning?
3. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
4. What is the name of the narrator's boss?
5. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louise file for divorce?
2. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
3. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
4. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
5. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
6. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
7. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
8. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
9. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
10. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
What do the characters in the novel think about affairs? According to the narrator, what is the nature of an affair? According to the narrator, why would Louise enjoy an affair, but Jacqueline would not?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)