|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
2. Upon moving to the country, what does the narrator begin to study?
3. What does the narrator begin to find comfort in while living in the countryside?
4. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
5. What does Louise admit about her disorder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
2. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
3. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
4. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
5. What is Louise's goal throughout the novel? Has she achieved this goal yet?
6. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
7. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
8. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
9. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
10. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator simply using Jacqueline, or does he or she feel genuine affection for her? Why do you think this is so? Why does the narrator stay with Jacqueline? What does this tell the reader about the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Elgin as a character in this novel. Why is Elgin significant? What is his role in the story? What makes him likable or unlikable? What quote defines him the most?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)