|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most significant about the narrator?
2. Which opinion of the narrator's has changed?
3. How does Louise view Elgin?
4. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
5. What are the names of Elgin's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
2. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
3. Why did the narrator choose to stay with Jacqueline for a short while?
4. According to the narrator, why wouldn't Jacqueline appreciate an affair?
5. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
6. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
7. Describe Jacqueline.
8. How does the narrator feel about marriage with Louise?
9. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
10. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)