|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Inge actively object to?
2. Which of the following describes Elgin and Louise's marriage?
3. What did Bathsheba bring out most in the narrator?
4. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
5. Whose belongings does Jacqueline destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
2. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
3. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
4. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
5. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
6. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
7. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
8. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
9. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
10. Why does Louise file for divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator a moral character? Why or why not? Are the secondary characters moral? Why or why not? How does the narrator justify his or her morality? Why do you think the narrator feels the need to do this?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator simply using Jacqueline, or does he or she feel genuine affection for her? Why do you think this is so? Why does the narrator stay with Jacqueline? What does this tell the reader about the narrator?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)