|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator answer Louise's question about the future of their relationship?
2. Which of the following best describes the narrator when he or she is in a relationship with Jacqueline?
3. What type of art did Inge object to?
4. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
5. What does Louise ask the narrator when telling him or her about Elgin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
2. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
3. Describe Inge.
4. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
5. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
6. What part does irony play in the novel?
7. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
8. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
9. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
10. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the characters in the novel think about affairs? According to the narrator, what is the nature of an affair? According to the narrator, why would Louise enjoy an affair, but Jacqueline would not?
Essay Topic 2
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)