Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator goes on a first date with Louise, who is he or she supposed to spend the night with?
2. How does Elgin feel about Louise finding sexual fulfillment elsewhere?
3. How does the narrator feel about one day marrying Louise?
4. Which of the following literary devices most accurately describes Jacqueline's anger?
5. Which of the following causes a rift between Elgin and his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline, does he or she still believe that marriage is the end of passion?
2. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
3. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
4. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
5. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
6. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
7. Describe how the narrator changes from before meeting Louise to after breaking up with Jacqueline. What does this say about the narrator?
8. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
9. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
10. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)