|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
2. What does Louise refuse to accept from the narrator?
3. What type of woman is the narrator known to seek out?
4. Where does the narrator work?
5. What did Elgin study when he finished going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
2. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
3. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
4. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
5. Describe Inge.
6. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
7. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
8. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
9. How does the narrator justify his or her relationship with Louise?
10. Describe Jacqueline.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is choice a theme in the novel? Which characters make important choices? What are the effects of these choices? How does the theme of choice affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the relationship between Louise and Elgin. Why is it important to note the status of their relationship? What type of relationship do they have? Does this justify Louise's affair with the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)