|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jacqueline destroy in her apartment?
2. According to Louise, who has said "I love you" to many people?
3. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
4. Which of the following best describes Inge?
5. Where does Jacqueline work?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
2. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
3. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
4. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
5. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
6. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
7. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
8. According to the narrator, why wouldn't Jacqueline appreciate an affair?
9. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
10. What part does irony play in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Gail's role in the novel. Why do you think Gail is significant to the novel's plot? Do you think that Gail's character was necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters grow throughout the novel? Which character changes the most? Which character changes the least? How do you know?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)