|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about one day marrying Louise?
2. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
3. When the narrator reflects back on early days of his or her affair with Louise, what types of memories are they?
4. Which best describes the narrator's reliability?
5. What are the names of Elgin's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Inge.
2. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
3. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
4. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
5. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
6. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
7. By the end of the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline, does he or she still believe that marriage is the end of passion?
8. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
9. Is the narrator using Jacqueline? Why or why not?
10. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
Essay Topic 2
What is your favorite theme in the novel? Why? How is this theme represented? Sample themes include love with no boundaries, suspicion, and betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
How does suspicion and mistrust become a theme in the novel? Describe an instance in the novel, and explain why this is significant.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)