|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator reveals the truth, what is Jacqueline's fate?
2. What does Louise refuse to accept from the narrator?
3. What is the narrator afraid of about revealing his or her relationship with Louise?
4. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
5. Which of the following best describes the narrator's sexual relationship with Jacqueline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
2. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
3. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
4. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
5. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
6. Describe Inge.
7. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
8. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
9. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
10. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
Essay Topic 1
What do the characters in the novel think about affairs? According to the narrator, what is the nature of an affair? According to the narrator, why would Louise enjoy an affair, but Jacqueline would not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the goals of each of the main characters: Louise, Elgin, the narrator? Does each character achieve their goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)