|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Inge actively object to?
2. How does the reader perceive Jacqueline's anger?
3. Why is the narrator dating Jacqueline?
4. Which of the following literary devices most accurately describes Jacqueline's anger?
5. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
2. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
3. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
4. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
5. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
6. Why is Louise still with Elgin despite his quirks?
7. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
8. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
9. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
10. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
Essay Topic 2
What are Elgin's intentions in sending Louise away? Why can the reader see the situation more clearly than the narrator can? Why is the narrator able to leave Louise?
Essay Topic 3
What do the characters in the novel think about affairs? According to the narrator, what is the nature of an affair? According to the narrator, why would Louise enjoy an affair, but Jacqueline would not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)