|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Jacqueline married to?
2. What can the reader tell about the narrator's feelings about Jacqueline?
3. After fighting with Jacqueline, who does the narrator go to?
4. How does Elgin feel about Louise?
5. According to the narrator, who would appreciate an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jacqueline.
2. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
3. What part does irony play in the novel?
4. How does the narrator look back at affairs?
5. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
6. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
7. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
8. By the end of the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline, does he or she still believe that marriage is the end of passion?
9. How does the narrator want Louise to treat their relationship?
10. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your favorite theme in the novel? Why? How is this theme represented? Sample themes include love with no boundaries, suspicion, and betrayal.
Essay Topic 2
What are Elgin's intentions in sending Louise away? Why can the reader see the situation more clearly than the narrator can? Why is the narrator able to leave Louise?
Essay Topic 3
Is the narrator simply using Jacqueline, or does he or she feel genuine affection for her? Why do you think this is so? Why does the narrator stay with Jacqueline? What does this tell the reader about the narrator?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)