|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, who would never appreciate an affair?
2. What is Elgin's religion?
3. What did Bathsheba once expose the narrator to?
4. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
5. How does Louise view Elgin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
2. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
3. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
4. Why did the narrator choose to stay with Jacqueline for a short while?
5. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
6. According to the narrator, why wouldn't Jacqueline appreciate an affair?
7. Describe Jacqueline.
8. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
9. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
10. Describe how the narrator changes from before meeting Louise to after breaking up with Jacqueline. What does this say about the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the relationship between Louise and Elgin. Why is it important to note the status of their relationship? What type of relationship do they have? Does this justify Louise's affair with the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)