|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the narrator most likely feel about infidelity?
2. How does the reader view the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline?
3. How does Louise view Elgin?
4. How does the reader perceive Jacqueline's anger?
5. What does Louise refuse to accept from the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
2. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
3. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
4. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
5. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
6. Is the narrator using Jacqueline? Why or why not?
7. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
8. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
9. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
10. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
Essay Topic 1
What do the characters in the novel think about affairs? According to the narrator, what is the nature of an affair? According to the narrator, why would Louise enjoy an affair, but Jacqueline would not?
Essay Topic 2
Is the narrator a reliable storyteller? Why or why not? What pushes you to believe the narrator has a reason to be unreliable?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the relationship between Louise and Elgin. Why is it important to note the status of their relationship? What type of relationship do they have? Does this justify Louise's affair with the narrator?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)