|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
2. Where is Louise from?
3. Which of the following is a theme in the novel?
4. How does Elgin feel about Louise finding sexual fulfillment elsewhere?
5. How does Louise view Elgin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator look back at affairs?
2. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
3. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
4. Describe Inge.
5. What part does irony play in the novel?
6. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
7. Why is Louise still with Elgin despite his quirks?
8. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
9. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
10. How does the narrator feel about marriage with Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the characters in the novel think about affairs? According to the narrator, what is the nature of an affair? According to the narrator, why would Louise enjoy an affair, but Jacqueline would not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Elgin as a character in this novel. Why is Elgin significant? What is his role in the story? What makes him likable or unlikable? What quote defines him the most?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)