|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
2. What explains Louise's easy affection for the narrator?
3. Which of the following best describes the narrator's sexual relationship with Jacqueline?
4. What did Elgin study?
5. Which of the following literary devices most accurately describes Jacqueline's anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
2. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
3. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
4. Describe Inge.
5. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
6. How does the narrator justify his or her relationship with Louise?
7. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
8. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
9. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
10. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the tone change from the beginning of the novel to the end of the novel? Why is this important to note? Why does the tone change?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Louise's character. What risks are involved in dating her? Is Louise similar to any of the narrator's former lovers? What might be foreshadowing the narrator's relationship with Louise?
Essay Topic 3
How does suspicion and mistrust become a theme in the novel? Describe an instance in the novel, and explain why this is significant.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)