|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which lover told the narrator that the past no longer existed in their love?
2. Who was Jacqueline married to?
3. Which of the following best describes Bruno?
4. How does the narrator feel about one day marrying Louise?
5. What is Elgin's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
2. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
3. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
4. Why is Louise still with Elgin despite his quirks?
5. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
6. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
7. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
8. Describe Jacqueline.
9. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
10. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is choice a theme in the novel? Which characters make important choices? What are the effects of these choices? How does the theme of choice affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main conflict of the novel? Is the conflict more important than the message of the novel? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters to analyze in terms of their perceptions of humanity. How do these three characters perceive the nature of humanity? Do they have generally positive or negative outlooks? How do you know?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)