|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louise decide to do after the vacation?
(a) Visit Jacqueline.
(b) Get a divorce.
(c) Get married.
(d) Cause legal trouble for Elgin.
2. After how many weeks searching for Louise does the narrator decide to go back to the country?
3. What does the narrator begin to find comfort in while living in the countryside?
4. What language does the narrator translate for work?
5. Who ends up being at the cottage when the narrator returns from London?
(a) Jacqueline and Louise.
(b) Louise and the narrator's boss.
(d) Louise and Elgin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator give the key to the handcuffs?
2. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
3. What does the reader learn about the narrator over the course of the novel?
4. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
5. Which pairing of characters has the most sexual tension?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
2. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
3. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
4. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
5. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
6. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
7. Why does Louise file for divorce?
8. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
9. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
10. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)