|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following types of love is a theme in the novel?
(a) Love without commitment.
(b) Love without pain.
(c) Love without gender.
(d) Love without location.
2. Which of the following proves that Louise has deep love for the narrator?
(a) Louise did not have an affair with Gail.
(b) Louise did not come back to the narrator.
(c) Louise did not go back to Elgin.
(d) Louise stayed in their apartment the whole time the narrator was gone.
3. Which of the following states does it seem that the narrator likes, becoming apparent after the narrator moves?
(a) Being in love.
(b) Being on the road.
(c) Being safe.
(d) Being heartbroken.
4. Where does Elgin want Louise to go for treatment?
(a) United States.
5. What does the narrator first notice that is odd about the cottage upon returning?
(a) The bed is unmade.
(b) The refrigerator is full.
(c) All the lights are on.
(d) There is a note on the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
2. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
3. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
4. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
5. What happens to the handcuff key?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louise file for divorce?
2. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
3. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
4. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
5. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
6. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
7. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
8. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
9. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
10. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)