|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following types of love is a theme in the novel?
(a) Love without gender.
(b) Love without pain.
(c) Love without location.
(d) Love without commitment.
2. Why does Louise finally decide to leave Elgin?
(a) She thinks it's the best decision for everybody.
(b) He physically abuses her.
(c) He mentally beats her down.
(d) She can't stand to be with him one more night.
3. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
4. What does the narrator first notice that is odd about the cottage upon returning?
(a) There is a note on the door.
(b) The refrigerator is full.
(c) All the lights are on.
(d) The bed is unmade.
5. Where did the narrator find the animal he or she adopts?
(a) Vet's office.
(c) Inside the home when he or she moved in.
(d) Animal shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
2. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
3. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
4. Who ends up being at the cottage when the narrator returns from London?
5. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
2. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
3. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
4. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
5. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
6. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
7. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
8. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
9. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
10. Why does Louise file for divorce?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)