|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While living in the countryside, who does the narrator try to contact about Louise's health?
(a) Elgin's father.
2. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
(a) They learn more about each other.
(b) They get married.
(c) They learn to truly appreciate each other.
(d) They build memories.
3. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
(a) To begin working on translations again.
(b) To tell Louise's story.
(c) To know what Louise is going through.
(d) To reveal Elgin as a fraud.
4. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
(b) The narrator.
5. Which ex-lover seems to effect the narrator the most?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of feelings does the narrator's boss have for the narrator?
2. How long do Louise and the narrator live together?
3. What type of animal does the narrator adopt?
4. How does the narrator view Elgin's attempts to get the narrator to move away?
5. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
2. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
3. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
4. Why isn't the narrator interested in Gail sexually?
5. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
6. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
7. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
8. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
9. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
10. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)