|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elgin want Louise to go for treatment?
(c) United States.
2. What type of facility does Elgin say can help Louise?
(a) Pediatric hospital.
(b) Psychiatric hospital.
(c) Research labs.
(d) Cancer facility.
3. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
(d) Taxi cab.
4. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
(a) Cure Louise's cancer.
(b) Get Louise psychiatric help.
(c) Learn to show emotion for Louise.
(d) Take Louise somewhere she can be happy.
5. Who promises to keep the narrator informed about Louise's condition?
(a) Louise's doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
2. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
3. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
4. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
5. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
2. What is Elgin's goal throughout the novel? Has he achieved this goal yet?
3. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
4. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
5. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
6. How does Louise prove deep love for the narrator?
7. Why does the narrator decide to leave Louise?
8. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
9. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
10. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)