|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the message of the story, what is love more than?
(a) Societal restrictions.
(b) Growing as a person.
(c) Pleasing everybody.
2. Which of the following types of love is a theme in the novel?
(a) Love without gender.
(b) Love without location.
(c) Love without pain.
(d) Love without commitment.
3. What happens to the handcuff key?
(a) Somebody leaves with it.
(b) It gets thrown away.
(c) Somebody maliciously hides it.
(d) It is pushed out of reach.
4. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
(a) Cure Louise's cancer.
(b) Take Louise somewhere she can be happy.
(c) Learn to show emotion for Louise.
(d) Get Louise psychiatric help.
5. What does the narrator hope for Louise when he moves away?
(a) A full life.
(b) Good mental health.
(c) Romantic love with Elgin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
2. What type of home does the narrator rent in the country?
3. What does the narrator's boss urge him or her to do?
4. Who is the narrator's boss most similar to?
5. Which character is the symbol of mistrust in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
2. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
3. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
4. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
5. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
6. How does the narrator grieve in the countryside?
7. What is Gail's role in the novel?
8. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
9. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
10. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)