|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ex-lover seems to effect the narrator the most?
2. According to the message of the story, what is love more than?
(b) Societal restrictions.
(c) Growing as a person.
(d) Pleasing everybody.
3. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
(a) He realizes that his own happiness often relies too much on love.
(b) He realizes that love prevails.
(c) He does not grow.
(d) He realizes that he needs to let Louise be happy.
4. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
(b) A new woman.
(d) His mother.
5. Which character would be considered to be the most heroic in the novel?
(c) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following proves that Louise has deep love for the narrator?
2. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
3. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
4. Where did the narrator find the animal he or she adopts?
5. When the narrator and his or her boss share a bed, why doesn't anything sexual happen between them?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the novel, do you think that the narrator is a man or woman?
2. Did the narrator make the right choice in leaving Louise? Why or why not?
3. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
4. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
5. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
6. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
7. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
8. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
9. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
10. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)