|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following becomes most important to the narrator by the end of the novel?
(b) Helping others.
(d) Sexual tension.
2. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
(a) He realizes that he needs to let Louise be happy.
(b) He realizes that his own happiness often relies too much on love.
(c) He realizes that love prevails.
(d) He does not grow.
3. How does Louise grow throughout the novel?
(a) She realizes she doesn't need anybody else.
(b) She realizes she loves the narrator.
(c) She realizes she does need treatment.
(d) She realizes that it's more important to be with somebody who takes care of you than who loves you.
4. What does Louise decide to do after the vacation?
(a) Get a divorce.
(b) Cause legal trouble for Elgin.
(c) Get married.
(d) Visit Jacqueline.
5. What type of facility does Elgin say can help Louise?
(a) Psychiatric hospital.
(b) Pediatric hospital.
(c) Cancer facility.
(d) Research labs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise admit about her disorder?
2. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
3. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
4. What does the reader learn about the narrator over the course of the novel?
5. When the narrator and his or her boss share a bed, why doesn't anything sexual happen between them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
2. What is significant about the narrator and Louise going on vacation together?
3. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
4. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
5. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
6. When the narrator leaves Louise, who do you think is happiest?
7. Why does Louise say that she doesn't need treatment? Is she telling the truth?
8. Describe the role "love without gender" plays in the novel.
9. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
10. What prompts Elgin to finally show emotion?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)