|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After fighting with Jacqueline, what does the narrator do?
(a) Calls Elgin on the phone.
(b) Visits an old lover.
(c) Fights with a man outside.
(d) Wanders the streets.
2. What type of art did Inge object to?
(a) Graphic design.
(c) Classic paintings.
3. Which of the following is a theme in the novel?
(b) Sexual frustration.
(d) Finding love with somebody you previously hated.
4. Which of the following describes Jacqueline's allure to the narrator?
5. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
(a) A conscious choice.
(b) A lack of effort.
(c) A pact to remain with somebody forever.
(d) The here and now of a relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator goes on a first date with Louise, who is he or she supposed to spend the night with?
2. What are the names of Elgin's parents?
3. Which of the following is Louise's goal?
4. Whose belongings does Jacqueline destroy?
5. Who does Louise describe as being bad with people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jacqueline.
2. How does the narrator feel about marriage with Louise?
3. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
4. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
5. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
6. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
7. Why does Louise file for divorce?
8. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
9. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
10. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)