|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is Louise's goal?
(a) To pursue a dream career.
(b) To be with the narrator.
(c) To escape her boring and unromantic life.
(d) To get away from Elgin.
2. What is the narrator afraid of about revealing his or her relationship with Louise?
(a) Getting physically hurt by Jacqueline.
(b) Not having a place to live.
(c) Hurting Jacqueline emotionally.
(d) Getting hurt emotionally by Louise.
3. What can the reader tell about the narrator's feelings about Jacqueline?
(a) The narrator wanted to be with Jacqueline forever.
(b) The narrator did not love Jacqueline.
(c) The narrator loved Jacqueline passionately.
(d) The narrator despised Jacqueline and most women.
4. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
(a) Elgin's father.
(b) The narrator.
5. Which of the following best describes Bruno?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
2. According to the narrator, who would never appreciate an affair?
3. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
4. What is the narrator scared will happen if he or she reveals his or her true feelings to Louise?
5. What is Louise's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
2. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
3. Describe Inge.
4. How does the narrator want Louise to treat their relationship?
5. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
6. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
7. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
8. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
9. Describe Jacqueline.
10. Is the narrator using Jacqueline? Why or why not?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)