|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Louise react to the narrator's act of violence?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She is hurt.
2. Which of the following types of literary devices are present in the novel?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
3. Which of the following describes Jacqueline's allure to the narrator?
4. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
(b) Treating patients.
(c) Being a parent.
5. After fighting with Jacqueline, what does the narrator do?
(a) Visits an old lover.
(b) Fights with a man outside.
(c) Calls Elgin on the phone.
(d) Wanders the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which lover brought out the best in the narrator?
2. Why is the narrator dating Jacqueline?
3. Which opinion of the narrator's has changed?
4. Which of the following is a theme in the novel?
5. Which of the following best describes Inge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
2. What is Gail's role in the novel?
3. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
4. What does Gail provide for the narrator?
5. Describe the narrator's confrontation with Elgin.
6. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
7. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
8. Why did the narrator choose to stay with Jacqueline for a short while?
9. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
10. According to the novel, how is love more important than societal opinions?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)