|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before learning the truth, what did Jacqueline think her relationship with the narrator was?
(a) A casual encounter.
(b) A commitment.
(c) A one-sided relationship.
(d) A marriage.
2. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
3. What part of art troubled Inge?
(a) The portrayal of mother nature.
(b) The portrayal of the female figure.
(c) The portrayal of children.
(d) The portrayal of animals and humans together.
4. Who does the narrator hit?
5. What is the relationship between Louise and Elgin?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are dating.
(d) They are related.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator consider unsatisfying when done alone?
2. How does Louise react to the narrator's act of violence?
3. How does the narrator describe having an affair?
4. What did Elgin study when he finished going to school?
5. Which of the following literary devices most accurately describes Jacqueline's anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, why wouldn't Jacqueline appreciate an affair?
2. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
3. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
4. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
5. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
6. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
7. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
8. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
9. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
10. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)