|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, who would never appreciate an affair?
2. According to Louise, who has said "I love you" to many people?
(a) The narrator.
3. What does Jacqueline provide most for the narrator?
(a) An appearance put on for family and friends.
(d) Cleaning and cooking.
4. How does the reader perceive Jacqueline's anger?
(a) It is understated.
(b) It is understandable.
(c) It is overstated.
(d) It is too intense.
5. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
2. Who does the narrator hit?
3. What explains Louise's easy affection for the narrator?
4. Where is Louise from?
5. What is Elgin's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
2. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
3. Describe how the narrator changes from before meeting Louise to after breaking up with Jacqueline. What does this say about the narrator?
4. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
5. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
6. What part does irony play in the novel?
7. How does the narrator prove deep love for Louise?
8. Describe the narrator's new life in the countryside.
9. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
10. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)