|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before learning the truth, what did Jacqueline think her relationship with the narrator was?
(a) A marriage.
(b) A commitment.
(c) A one-sided relationship.
(d) A casual encounter.
2. Which of the following does the narrator most likely feel about infidelity?
(a) Infidelity is acceptable.
(b) Infidelity makes the narrator angry but the narrator enjoys being devious.
(c) Infidelity is immoral.
(d) Infidelity is only okay for the narrator and his or her lovers.
3. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
4. What does the violence in the novel represent?
5. What does the narrator consider unsatisfying when done alone?
(a) Drink coffee.
(b) Watch people through windows.
(c) Eat at a restaurant.
(d) Go to the bookstore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is foreshadowed to be the "villain"?
2. How does Elgin feel about Louise?
3. What does Louise refuse to accept from the narrator?
4. After fighting with Jacqueline, what does the narrator do?
5. When the narrator reflects back on early days of his or her affair with Louise, what types of memories are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
2. Describe Inge.
3. Describe Jacqueline.
4. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
5. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
6. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
7. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
8. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
9. How does the narrator feel about marriage with Louise?
10. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)