|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which lover brought out the best in the narrator?
2. How does the reader view the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline?
(a) The narrator is using Jacqueline.
(b) Jacqueline is using the narrator.
(c) Jacqueline could not care less about her relationship with the narrator.
(d) The narrator genuinely loves Jacqueline.
3. How does the narrator view Jacqueline?
(a) Out of shape.
4. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
(a) He lacks compassion.
(b) He lacks knowledge.
(c) Poor bedside manner.
(d) He is unhygienic.
5. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
(a) Long-term relationships are no longer possible.
(b) Women are forced into marriage.
(c) Relationships become boring.
(d) Men are not able to please women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is most comparable to Jacqueline?
2. Where does the narrator work?
3. How does Elgin feel about Louise?
4. Where is Louise from?
5. According to the narrator, who would never appreciate an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
2. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
3. Describe Inge.
4. What is Elgin's reaction to Louise having an affair?
5. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
6. How does the narrator want Louise to treat their relationship?
7. How does the narrator feel about marriage with Louise?
8. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
9. By the end of the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline, does he or she still believe that marriage is the end of passion?
10. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)