|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Louise view Elgin?
(b) Purposely hurtful.
2. What does the narrator consider unsatisfying when done alone?
(a) Go to the bookstore.
(b) Drink coffee.
(c) Watch people through windows.
(d) Eat at a restaurant.
3. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
(a) Being a parent.
(d) Treating patients.
4. Why does the narrator tell so many women that he or she loves them?
(a) The narrator genuinely loved them.
(b) The narrator loves all women.
(c) The narrator enjoys deceit.
(d) It is easy for the narrator.
5. Which of the following is a theme in the novel?
(a) Loving somebody you can't have.
(b) The past is always hurtful.
(c) Angry ex-lovers.
(d) Lost relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explains Louise's easy affection for the narrator?
2. What is Elgin worried about after he learns the truth?
3. Which opinion of the narrator's has changed?
4. Which character is foreshadowed to be the "villain"?
5. According to Louise, who has said "I love you" to many people?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline, does he or she still believe that marriage is the end of passion?
2. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
3. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
4. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
5. How does the narrator feel about marriage with Louise?
6. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
7. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
8. Describe Inge.
9. Describe how the narrator changes from before meeting Louise to after breaking up with Jacqueline. What does this say about the narrator?
10. Why did the narrator choose to stay with Jacqueline for a short while?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)