|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of art did Inge object to?
(b) Graphic design.
(d) Classic paintings.
2. Why does the narrator tell so many women that he or she loves them?
(a) It is easy for the narrator.
(b) The narrator enjoys deceit.
(c) The narrator loves all women.
(d) The narrator genuinely loved them.
3. What type of people was Frank raised by?
4. After fighting with Jacqueline, what does the narrator do?
(a) Wanders the streets.
(b) Fights with a man outside.
(c) Visits an old lover.
(d) Calls Elgin on the phone.
5. What did Elgin study when he finished going to school?
(a) Cancer research.
(b) Doctor-patient interaction.
(d) Veterinary science.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is most comparable to Jacqueline?
2. After fighting with Jacqueline, who does the narrator go to?
3. What part of art troubled Inge?
4. What is Jacqueline's relationship with Louise?
5. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the narrator changes from before meeting Louise to after breaking up with Jacqueline. What does this say about the narrator?
2. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
3. What part does irony play in the novel?
4. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
5. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
6. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
7. Describe Inge.
8. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
9. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
10. According to the narrator, why would Louise appreciate having an affair?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)