|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, how many married women have affairs?
(a) All of them.
(b) Half of them.
(c) A quarter of them.
(d) Less than 10 percent of them.
2. What do vague elements in the story allow the reader to focus on?
(d) Emotive language.
3. Who was Jacqueline married to?
(a) A writer.
(b) A dentist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A painter.
4. How did Elgin's mother die?
(a) Gun injury.
(c) Car accident.
(d) Complications after surgery.
5. How does the reader view the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline?
(a) Jacqueline could not care less about her relationship with the narrator.
(b) The narrator genuinely loves Jacqueline.
(c) Jacqueline is using the narrator.
(d) The narrator is using Jacqueline.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bathsheba bring out most in the narrator?
2. Before learning the truth, what did Jacqueline think her relationship with the narrator was?
3. What does the violence in the novel represent?
4. What is Elgin's religion?
5. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's search for Louise.
2. How is selfishness a theme in the novel?
3. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
4. What is Gail's role in the novel?
5. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
6. Why might the reader be suspicious of Elgin's behavior?
7. What is the narrator's goal throughout the novel? Has he or she achieved it so far?
8. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
9. How does Louise affect the narrator's work?
10. Why did the narrator choose to stay with Jacqueline for a short while?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)