|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator afraid of about revealing his or her relationship with Louise?
(a) Not having a place to live.
(b) Getting physically hurt by Jacqueline.
(c) Getting hurt emotionally by Louise.
(d) Hurting Jacqueline emotionally.
2. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
(b) Old age.
3. What type of people was Frank raised by?
4. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
(a) A conscious choice.
(b) The here and now of a relationship.
(c) A pact to remain with somebody forever.
(d) A lack of effort.
5. Where does Louise invite the narrator to go together alone?
(a) The movie theather.
(b) A museum.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The opera.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator dating Jacqueline?
2. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
3. Before learning the truth, what did Jacqueline think her relationship with the narrator was?
4. Which of the following best describes Bruno?
5. After fighting with Jacqueline, what does the narrator do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Louise still with Elgin despite his quirks?
2. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
3. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
4. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
5. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
6. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
7. How does the narrator want Louise to treat their relationship?
8. Do you think that Jacqueline's character will play a larger role in the novel? Why or why not?
9. Describe Inge.
10. According to the narrator, why wouldn't Jacqueline appreciate an affair?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)