|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacqueline provide most for the narrator?
(c) Cleaning and cooking.
(d) An appearance put on for family and friends.
2. Which character is foreshadowed to be the "villain"?
(a) The narrator.
3. When the narrator goes on a first date with Louise, who is he or she supposed to spend the night with?
4. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
(a) He lacks compassion.
(b) He is unhygienic.
(c) He lacks knowledge.
(d) Poor bedside manner.
5. Which of the following is most comparable to Jacqueline?
(a) Safe harbor.
(b) Mentally disturbed woman.
(c) Broken heart.
(d) Dangerous mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, who would never appreciate an affair?
2. What did Elgin study?
3. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
4. What is the relationship between Louise and Elgin?
5. What does Louise ask the narrator when telling him or her about Elgin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
2. After Jacqueline attacks Louise, what prediction can the reader make for the way the relationship will progress between the narrator and Louise?
3. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
4. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
5. Why can't Elgin work directly with patients?
6. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
7. Describe Inge.
8. Does it make sense for Jacqueline to attack Louise? Is it consistent with her character?
9. How does the narrator justify his or her relationship with Louise?
10. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)