Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator goes on a first date with Louise, who is he or she supposed to spend the night with?
2. How does Elgin feel about Louise finding sexual fulfillment elsewhere?
(a) He is disgusted by Louise.
(b) He is completely comfortable with it.
(c) He understands it.
(d) He loathes the idea.
3. How does the narrator feel about one day marrying Louise?
(a) The narrator thinks Louise has more to benefit from marriage than the narrator does.
(b) The narrator does not believe in any marriage.
(c) The narrator wants to marry Louise.
(d) The narrator fears marrying Louise.
4. Which of the following literary devices most accurately describes Jacqueline's anger?
5. Which of the following causes a rift between Elgin and his parents?
(a) Elgin did not become a doctor.
(b) Elgin did not have children with his wife.
(c) Elgin married a Jewish woman.
(d) Elgin married a woman who is not Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Jacqueline that prompts a problem?
2. Who did the narrator date immediately after Bathsheba?
3. Which of the following did Inge actively object to?
4. What is Louise's last name?
5. What did Jacqueline destroy in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline, does he or she still believe that marriage is the end of passion?
2. Describe the relationship between Louise and Elgin.
3. How is Gail similar to Jacqueline?
4. What role does the theme "temptation" play in the novel?
5. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
6. How does the narrator know that he or she made a mistake?
7. Describe how the narrator changes from before meeting Louise to after breaking up with Jacqueline. What does this say about the narrator?
8. Was Jacqueline's ignorance about the narrator's affair good or bad?
9. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
10. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)