|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the narrator's emotional state while living in the countryside?
2. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
(a) The narrator.
3. Why does Louise finally decide to leave Elgin?
(a) She thinks it's the best decision for everybody.
(b) He mentally beats her down.
(c) She can't stand to be with him one more night.
(d) He physically abuses her.
4. Who ends up being at the cottage when the narrator returns from London?
(a) Jacqueline and Louise.
(b) Louise and Elgin.
(c) Louise and the narrator's boss.
5. Which character would be considered to be the most heroic in the novel?
(a) The narrator.
6. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
(b) The narrator.
7. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
(a) They learn to truly appreciate each other.
(b) They build memories.
(c) They learn more about each other.
(d) They get married.
8. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
(c) Los Angeles.
9. Why does the narrator decide to go back to the countryside after looking for Louise?
(a) The mistake is irreparable.
(b) Louise is probably dead.
(c) The narrator's boss is willing to have an affair.
(d) The narrator would rather be in aguish alone than rattle Louise's new life.
10. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
(a) Elgin's house.
(b) Louise's hospital.
(c) Louise's apartment.
(d) Elgin's research facility.
11. What language does the narrator translate for work?
12. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
(a) Louise fearing a relationship with the narrator.
(b) Elgin finding out about Louise's affair with the narrator.
(c) Louise treating their relationship like an affair.
(d) Jacqueline hurting Louise and Elgin.
13. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
14. What happens to the handcuff key?
(a) It is pushed out of reach.
(b) Somebody maliciously hides it.
(c) Somebody leaves with it.
(d) It gets thrown away.
15. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
(a) To find fulfillment in work.
(b) For Louise to be healthy and safe.
(c) For Louise to pursue her dreams.
(d) For Elgin to make Louise happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of home does the narrator rent in the country?
2. What condition does Louise have?
3. Which character is the symbol of mistrust in the novel?
4. Why does the narrator try to distance himself/herself from his/her boss?
5. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)