|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What actually causes Elgin to show emotion?
(a) The narrator's love for Louise.
(b) Louise's diagnosis.
(c) Louise's affair.
(d) The death of his father.
2. Which character would be considered to be the most heroic in the novel?
(c) The narrator.
3. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
(a) Louise and Elgin will be together.
(b) Louise still loves her.
(c) Louise is happy.
(d) Louise is still alive.
4. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
(a) She discourages the narrator from finding Louise.
(b) She gives the narrator money to find Louise.
(c) She takes the narrator's mind off Louise.
(d) She helps lead the narrator back to Louise.
5. Which pairing of characters has the most sexual tension?
(a) Louise and the narrator's boss.
(b) The narrator and his or her boss.
(c) Elgin and the narrator.
(d) Louise and Jacqueline.
6. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
(a) For Louise to be healthy and safe.
(b) To find fulfillment in work.
(c) For Louise to pursue her dreams.
(d) For Elgin to make Louise happy.
7. Which of the following best describes the narrator's emotional state while living in the countryside?
8. What bill does the narrator pay for a full year before moving?
(c) Apartment rent.
9. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
(c) Los Angeles.
10. What type of home does the narrator rent in the country?
11. What happens when the narrator becomes so obsessed with Louise?
(a) Work becomes impossible for the narrator.
(b) The narrator is arrested.
(c) The narrator begins taking medications
(d) The narrator forgets to pay rent.
12. At whose house do the narrator and Louise carry on an affair?
(a) Elgin's parent's.
(d) The narrator's ex-lover's.
13. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
(a) To tell Louise's story.
(b) To begin working on translations again.
(c) To know what Louise is going through.
(d) To reveal Elgin as a fraud.
14. Why does the narrator decide to go back to the countryside after looking for Louise?
(a) The narrator would rather be in aguish alone than rattle Louise's new life.
(b) Louise is probably dead.
(c) The narrator's boss is willing to have an affair.
(d) The mistake is irreparable.
15. What type of facility does Elgin say can help Louise?
(a) Pediatric hospital.
(b) Cancer facility.
(c) Psychiatric hospital.
(d) Research labs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator's boss?
2. Upon moving to the country, what does the narrator begin to study?
3. How does the narrator get back to London from the countryside?
4. What does the narrator first notice that is odd about the cottage upon returning?
5. What does Louise decide to do after the vacation?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)