|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
(a) His mother.
(c) A new woman.
2. Who promises to keep the narrator informed about Louise's condition?
(b) Louise's doctor.
3. What is the name of the narrator's boss?
4. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
(a) Taxi cab.
5. Why does the narrator try to distance himself/herself from his/her boss?
(a) The narrator has been having an affair with somebody else.
(b) The narrator hates her.
(c) The narrator is scared of having feelings for anybody else.
(d) The narrator is not interested in having an affair with her.
6. What does the narrator's boss urge him or her to do?
(a) Return to Jacqueline.
(b) Forget Louise entirely.
(c) Kill Elgin.
(d) Return to Louise.
7. What condition does Louise have?
(b) Brain tumor.
(c) Bipolar disorder.
8. What does Louise say about seeking treatment?
(a) It's not necessary.
(b) She needs it but has no money.
(c) She has already been in treatment.
(d) She needs it but would rather die.
9. Which of the following shows how the narrator has grown from the beginning of the novel to the end?
(a) The narrator no longer has anger problems.
(b) The narrator finds it easier to cope with loss.
(c) The narrator realizes that safe harbor is better than danger.
(d) The narrator no longer seeks affairs.
10. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
11. What type of feelings does the narrator's boss have for the narrator?
12. At whose house do the narrator and Louise carry on an affair?
(c) The narrator's ex-lover's.
(d) Elgin's parent's.
13. Where does Elgin want Louise to go for treatment?
(c) United States.
14. What language does the narrator translate for work?
15. What type of facility does Elgin say can help Louise?
(a) Research labs.
(b) Cancer facility.
(c) Pediatric hospital.
(d) Psychiatric hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
2. Who does the narrator alert to help him or her out of handcuffs?
3. Which of the following describes the time Louise and the narrator lived together?
4. Who does the narrator find the most love with?
5. Why does the narrator decide to go back to the countryside after looking for Louise?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)