|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who promises to keep the narrator informed about Louise's condition?
(a) Louise's doctor.
2. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
(a) Elgin finding out about Louise's affair with the narrator.
(b) Jacqueline hurting Louise and Elgin.
(c) Louise treating their relationship like an affair.
(d) Louise fearing a relationship with the narrator.
3. What does the narrator begin to find comfort in while living in the countryside?
4. What type of feelings does the narrator's boss have for the narrator?
5. Where did the narrator find the animal he or she adopts?
(a) Vet's office.
(c) Animal shelter.
(d) Inside the home when he or she moved in.
6. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
7. Which of the following best describes the narrator's opinion of Elgin when he moves away?
(a) Elgin will do something Louise won't appreciate, but it will be for the best.
(b) Elgin is a vengeful person.
(c) Elgin is a good-hearted person who is misunderstood.
(d) Elgin wants the best for Louise.
8. What does the narrator hope for Louise when he moves away?
(a) Good mental health.
(c) A full life.
(d) Romantic love with Elgin.
9. How does the narrator view Elgin's attempts to get the narrator to move away?
(a) Elgin's selfishness.
(b) Elgin's pure love.
(c) The best in Elgin's nature.
(d) Elgin's hatred.
10. When back in London, where does the narrator first go?
(a) Louise's hospital.
(b) The narrator's old apartment.
(c) Elgin's parent's house.
(d) Elgin's house.
11. What must be damaged to free the narrator from handcuffs?
12. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
13. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
(a) He realizes that his own happiness often relies too much on love.
(b) He realizes that he needs to let Louise be happy.
(c) He realizes that love prevails.
(d) He does not grow.
14. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
(a) Louise still loves her.
(b) Louise is happy.
(c) Louise is still alive.
(d) Louise and Elgin will be together.
15. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
(c) His mother.
(d) A new woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up being at the cottage when the narrator returns from London?
2. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
3. What actually causes Elgin to show emotion?
4. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
5. What does the narrator first notice that is odd about the cottage upon returning?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)