|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the narrator that he or she made a mistake in trusting Elgin?
(b) Elgin's father.
(d) The narrator's boss.
2. What does Louise say about seeking treatment?
(a) She needs it but has no money.
(b) It's not necessary.
(c) She needs it but would rather die.
(d) She has already been in treatment.
3. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
(a) A chair.
(b) A co-worker.
(c) A bookshelf.
(d) A desk.
4. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
(a) Louise's apartment.
(b) Elgin's research facility.
(c) Louise's hospital.
(d) Elgin's house.
5. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
(a) Jacqueline hurting Louise and Elgin.
(b) Louise treating their relationship like an affair.
(c) Elgin finding out about Louise's affair with the narrator.
(d) Louise fearing a relationship with the narrator.
6. Where does the narrator get thrown out of?
(d) Office building.
7. Which of the following describes the time Louise and the narrator lived together?
(d) Intense fury.
8. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
(c) Los Angeles.
9. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
10. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
(a) Louise still loves her.
(b) Louise is still alive.
(c) Louise and Elgin will be together.
(d) Louise is happy.
11. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
(a) She helps lead the narrator back to Louise.
(b) She gives the narrator money to find Louise.
(c) She discourages the narrator from finding Louise.
(d) She takes the narrator's mind off Louise.
12. What must be damaged to free the narrator from handcuffs?
13. How does the narrator get back to London from the countryside?
14. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
(a) He does not grow.
(b) He realizes that he needs to let Louise be happy.
(c) He realizes that his own happiness often relies too much on love.
(d) He realizes that love prevails.
15. What happens when the narrator becomes so obsessed with Louise?
(a) The narrator is arrested.
(b) Work becomes impossible for the narrator.
(c) The narrator begins taking medications
(d) The narrator forgets to pay rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location does the narrator call while looking for Louise and after returning from the countryside?
2. How long do Louise and the narrator live together?
3. What type of animal does the narrator adopt?
4. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
5. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)