|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
(a) Get Louise psychiatric help.
(b) Cure Louise's cancer.
(c) Learn to show emotion for Louise.
(d) Take Louise somewhere she can be happy.
2. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
(a) Louise treating their relationship like an affair.
(b) Elgin finding out about Louise's affair with the narrator.
(c) Louise fearing a relationship with the narrator.
(d) Jacqueline hurting Louise and Elgin.
3. What does the narrator begin to find comfort in while living in the countryside?
4. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
(c) His mother.
(d) A new woman.
5. Which character is the symbol of mistrust in the novel?
(c) The narrator.
6. Which of the following describes the time Louise and the narrator lived together?
(c) Intense fury.
7. Which character would be considered to be the most heroic in the novel?
(d) The narrator.
8. Who does the narrator find the most love with?
(d) The narrator's boss.
9. According to the message of the story, what is love more than?
(a) Pleasing everybody.
(c) Growing as a person.
(d) Societal restrictions.
10. What does the narrator's boss urge him or her to do?
(a) Kill Elgin.
(b) Forget Louise entirely.
(c) Return to Jacqueline.
(d) Return to Louise.
11. How long do Louise and the narrator live together?
12. Which of the following proves that Louise has deep love for the narrator?
(a) Louise did not come back to the narrator.
(b) Louise did not go back to Elgin.
(c) Louise stayed in their apartment the whole time the narrator was gone.
(d) Louise did not have an affair with Gail.
13. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
(a) For Louise to be healthy and safe.
(b) For Louise to pursue her dreams.
(c) For Elgin to make Louise happy.
(d) To find fulfillment in work.
14. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
15. How does the narrator get back to London from the countryside?
Short Answer Questions
1. While living in the countryside, who does the narrator try to contact about Louise's health?
2. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
3. Which of the following shows how the narrator has grown from the beginning of the novel to the end?
4. Which of the following states does it seem that the narrator likes, becoming apparent after the narrator moves?
5. Which of the following describes the narrator's plan to find Louise?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)