|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the narrator's emotional state while living in the countryside?
2. What does the narrator hope for Louise when he moves away?
(a) Good mental health.
(b) Romantic love with Elgin.
(c) A full life.
3. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
(a) Elgin's house.
(b) Elgin's research facility.
(c) Louise's apartment.
(d) Louise's hospital.
4. How does Louise grow throughout the novel?
(a) She realizes she loves the narrator.
(b) She realizes she doesn't need anybody else.
(c) She realizes she does need treatment.
(d) She realizes that it's more important to be with somebody who takes care of you than who loves you.
5. What does the narrator hope that Elgin can do when he moves away?
(a) Learn to show emotion for Louise.
(b) Take Louise somewhere she can be happy.
(c) Cure Louise's cancer.
(d) Get Louise psychiatric help.
6. What does the narrator first notice that is odd about the cottage upon returning?
(a) The refrigerator is full.
(b) All the lights are on.
(c) There is a note on the door.
(d) The bed is unmade.
7. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
(a) A new woman.
(c) His mother.
8. What is the name of the narrator's boss?
9. Which of the following becomes most important to the narrator by the end of the novel?
(b) Helping others.
(c) Sexual tension.
10. What does the narrator's boss urge him or her to do?
(a) Return to Louise.
(b) Return to Jacqueline.
(c) Forget Louise entirely.
(d) Kill Elgin.
11. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
12. What does the reader learn about the narrator over the course of the novel?
(a) The narrator is once again having an affair.
(b) The memory the narrator reveals is a happy one.
(c) The narrator would like to get revenge on Elgin.
(d) The narrator doesn't actually love Louise.
13. What bill does the narrator pay for a full year before moving?
(a) Apartment rent.
14. What happens to the handcuff key?
(a) Somebody maliciously hides it.
(b) Somebody leaves with it.
(c) It gets thrown away.
(d) It is pushed out of reach.
15. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
(c) Taxi cab.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
2. What can the reader infer about Elgin before the narrator moves?
3. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
4. While living in the countryside, who does the narrator try to contact about Louise's health?
5. Which of the following states does it seem that the narrator likes, becoming apparent after the narrator moves?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)