|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does trusts Elgin the least?
(c) The narrator.
2. Whose mother does the narrator visit in search of Louise?
(a) The narrator's mother.
(b) Louise's mother.
(c) Jacqueline's mother.
(d) Elgin's mother.
3. What is on the note that the narrator leaves for Louise?
(a) "I love you."
(b) The address of the narrator's work.
(c) The cottage's address.
(d) "I cannot get over you. Find me."
4. Who does the narrator find the most love with?
(b) The narrator's boss.
5. Who promises to keep the narrator informed about Louise's condition?
(d) Louise's doctor.
6. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
(a) Louise treating their relationship like an affair.
(b) Louise fearing a relationship with the narrator.
(c) Jacqueline hurting Louise and Elgin.
(d) Elgin finding out about Louise's affair with the narrator.
7. Why is it significant that Louise and the narrator go on vacation?
(a) They learn more about each other.
(b) They learn to truly appreciate each other.
(c) They build memories.
(d) They get married.
8. How does Elgin grow throughout the novel?
(a) He does not grow.
(b) He realizes that his own happiness often relies too much on love.
(c) He realizes that he needs to let Louise be happy.
(d) He realizes that love prevails.
9. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
(a) A co-worker.
(b) A chair.
(c) A desk.
(d) A bookshelf.
10. When back in London, where does the narrator first go?
(a) The narrator's old apartment.
(b) Louise's hospital.
(c) Elgin's house.
(d) Elgin's parent's house.
11. Which of the following thoughts soothes the narrator while living in the countryside?
(a) Louise and Elgin will be together.
(b) Louise is happy.
(c) Louise still loves her.
(d) Louise is still alive.
12. What does Louise decide to do after the vacation?
(a) Get a divorce.
(b) Get married.
(c) Visit Jacqueline.
(d) Cause legal trouble for Elgin.
13. Why does the narrator try to distance himself/herself from his/her boss?
(a) The narrator has been having an affair with somebody else.
(b) The narrator hates her.
(c) The narrator is scared of having feelings for anybody else.
(d) The narrator is not interested in having an affair with her.
14. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
15. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
(a) A co-worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
2. What type of facility does Elgin say can help Louise?
3. What type of feelings does the narrator's boss have for the narrator?
4. Which of the following best describes the narrator's ultimate goal?
5. Which pairing of characters has the most sexual tension?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)