|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide to go back to the countryside after looking for Louise?
(a) The mistake is irreparable.
(b) The narrator's boss is willing to have an affair.
(c) The narrator would rather be in aguish alone than rattle Louise's new life.
(d) Louise is probably dead.
2. Who is Elgin arriving home with when the narrator sees him?
(c) His mother.
(d) A new woman.
3. Which ex-lover seems to effect the narrator the most?
4. What does Louise admit about her disorder?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She denies having health conditions.
(c) She does have a disorder and is waiting for test results.
(d) She has no idea what Elgin is talking about.
5. What language does the narrator translate for work?
6. Where does the narrator get a job in the country?
7. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
(a) A desk.
(b) A chair.
(c) A bookshelf.
(d) A co-worker.
8. Where does the narrator get thrown out of?
(d) Office building.
9. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
(a) To begin working on translations again.
(b) To reveal Elgin as a fraud.
(c) To tell Louise's story.
(d) To know what Louise is going through.
10. Why did Elgin end up sending the narrator away?
(a) To have another chance with Louise.
(b) To hurt Louise physically.
(c) To get revenge.
(d) To make sure the narrator was being true to Louise.
11. Which pairing of characters has the most sexual tension?
(a) Louise and the narrator's boss.
(b) The narrator and his or her boss.
(c) Elgin and the narrator.
(d) Louise and Jacqueline.
12. Why does the narrator try to distance himself/herself from his/her boss?
(a) The narrator hates her.
(b) The narrator is scared of having feelings for anybody else.
(c) The narrator has been having an affair with somebody else.
(d) The narrator is not interested in having an affair with her.
13. Whose mother does the narrator visit in search of Louise?
(a) Elgin's mother.
(b) Louise's mother.
(c) The narrator's mother.
(d) Jacqueline's mother.
14. What location does the narrator call while looking for Louise and after returning from the countryside?
(a) An apartment in New York.
(b) A hospital in Amsterdam.
(c) A clinic in Switzerland.
(d) A cancer research facility in Paris.
15. Which of the following states does it seem that the narrator likes, becoming apparent after the narrator moves?
(a) Being heartbroken.
(b) Being on the road.
(c) Being in love.
(d) Being safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Louise and the narrator go together on vacation?
2. What does Louise say about seeking treatment?
3. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
4. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
5. Where did the narrator find the animal he or she adopts?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)