|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following types of love is a theme in the novel?
(a) Love without gender.
(b) Love without pain.
(c) Love without commitment.
(d) Love without location.
2. Which ex-lover seems to effect the narrator the most?
3. What condition does Louise have?
(c) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Brain tumor.
4. Who convinces the narrator to leave Louise?
(a) A co-worker.
5. What type of facility does Elgin say can help Louise?
(a) Research labs.
(b) Psychiatric hospital.
(c) Pediatric hospital.
(d) Cancer facility.
6. Which of the following proves that Louise has deep love for the narrator?
(a) Louise did not have an affair with Gail.
(b) Louise did not come back to the narrator.
(c) Louise did not go back to Elgin.
(d) Louise stayed in their apartment the whole time the narrator was gone.
7. Why does Louise finally decide to leave Elgin?
(a) She can't stand to be with him one more night.
(b) She thinks it's the best decision for everybody.
(c) He physically abuses her.
(d) He mentally beats her down.
8. Why is the narrator's boss a significant character?
(a) She helps lead the narrator back to Louise.
(b) She takes the narrator's mind off Louise.
(c) She discourages the narrator from finding Louise.
(d) She gives the narrator money to find Louise.
9. How does the narrator feel upon moving away?
10. Who ends up being at the cottage when the narrator returns from London?
(a) Jacqueline and Louise.
(b) Louise and the narrator's boss.
(d) Louise and Elgin.
11. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
(d) The narrator.
12. What does Louise say about seeking treatment?
(a) She has already been in treatment.
(b) She needs it but has no money.
(c) She needs it but would rather die.
(d) It's not necessary.
13. Which character is the symbol of mistrust in the novel?
(c) The narrator.
14. Who does the narrator alert to help him or her out of handcuffs?
(a) Security guard.
15. Which of the following states does it seem that the narrator likes, becoming apparent after the narrator moves?
(a) Being heartbroken.
(b) Being in love.
(c) Being on the road.
(d) Being safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator begin to find comfort in while living in the countryside?
2. What can the reader infer about Elgin before the narrator moves?
3. What does the reader learn about the narrator over the course of the novel?
4. Where does the narrator go second in the search for Louise?
5. What language does the narrator translate for work?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)