|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide to go back to the countryside after looking for Louise?
(a) Louise is probably dead.
(b) The narrator's boss is willing to have an affair.
(c) The mistake is irreparable.
(d) The narrator would rather be in aguish alone than rattle Louise's new life.
2. Upon moving to the country, what does the narrator begin to study?
(b) Human body.
3. What does Elgin get tired of hearing?
(a) Louise's complaints about health concerns.
(b) Jacqueline's phone calls.
(c) The narrator's phone calls.
(d) Louise and the narrator carrying on their affair.
4. Who promises to keep the narrator informed about Louise's condition?
(b) Louise's doctor.
5. Which of the following best describes the narrator's opinion of Elgin when he moves away?
(a) Elgin is a vengeful person.
(b) Elgin is a good-hearted person who is misunderstood.
(c) Elgin wants the best for Louise.
(d) Elgin will do something Louise won't appreciate, but it will be for the best.
6. What does the narrator handcuff himself/herself to?
(a) A co-worker.
(b) A bookshelf.
(c) A desk.
(d) A chair.
7. Upon moving, why does the narrator begin studying?
(a) To know what Louise is going through.
(b) To reveal Elgin as a fraud.
(c) To tell Louise's story.
(d) To begin working on translations again.
8. Which ex-lover seems to effect the narrator the most?
9. What type of animal does the narrator adopt?
10. Who decided they had to be the one to walk away concerning Louise's illness?
(d) The narrator.
11. Which of the following describes the time Louise and the narrator lived together?
(c) Intense fury.
12. What does Elgin tell the narrator when the narrator is looking for Louise?
(a) Louise does not want to see him again.
(b) Louise has died.
(c) Louise is in the hospital.
(d) Louise has run away.
13. What must be damaged to free the narrator from handcuffs?
14. Who does the narrator believe is waiting for him or her in the cottage upon returning?
(d) The narrator's boss.
15. When the narrator returns to the country, how does he or she get from the train station to the cottage?
(d) Taxi cab.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the narrator's emotional state while living in the countryside?
2. Who does the narrator give the key to the handcuffs?
3. Which of the following is the narrator afraid of?
4. What bill does the narrator pay for a full year before moving?
5. Why did Elgin end up sending the narrator away?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)