|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Louise ready to hear that the narrator loves her?
(a) When they live toether.
(b) When the narrator means it.
(c) When Louise has left Elgin.
(d) When Jacqueline knows about the relationship.
2. How did Elgin's mother die?
(a) Complications after surgery.
(c) Car accident.
(d) Gun injury.
3. Who does Jacqueline lock out of her apartment?
(b) The narrator.
4. According to Louise, who has said "I love you" to many people?
(c) The narrator.
5. Which of the following describes Elgin and Louise's marriage?
(a) They don't spend any time together anymore.
(b) They lack compassion for anybody except themselves.
(c) They lack physical affection.
(d) They lack internal affection.
6. What is the narrator scared will happen if he or she reveals his or her true feelings to Louise?
(a) She will fear the narrator.
(b) She will become too eager.
(c) She will benefit from not knowing.
(d) She will be scared away.
7. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
8. Which best describes the narrator's reliability?
(a) The narrator is reliable.
(b) The narrator is not reliable, and he or she admits it.
(c) The narrator's judgement is affected by the past.
(d) The narrator is completely unreliable.
9. Who does Louise describe as being bad with people?
(a) The narrator.
10. According to the narrator, how many married women have affairs?
(a) Half of them.
(b) A quarter of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) Less than 10 percent of them.
11. How does Elgin feel about Louise finding sexual fulfillment elsewhere?
(a) He understands it.
(b) He is disgusted by Louise.
(c) He is completely comfortable with it.
(d) He loathes the idea.
12. Which of the following best describes Bruno?
13. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
(a) He lacks knowledge.
(b) He is unhygienic.
(c) He lacks compassion.
(d) Poor bedside manner.
14. When did the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline stop expanding?
(a) When they moved in together.
(b) When they met each other's parents.
(c) When they got married.
(d) When they had a child.
15. How does the narrator answer Louise's question about the future of their relationship?
(a) That only Jacqueline stands in the way
(b) That only Elgin stands in the way.
(c) That it's impossible to know at this point.
(d) That it is not important at this point.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator goes on a first date with Louise, who is he or she supposed to spend the night with?
2. What did Jacqueline destroy in her apartment?
3. What do vague elements in the story allow the reader to focus on?
4. Which of the following describes Jacqueline's allure to the narrator?
5. Where does the narrator work?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)