|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is most comparable to Jacqueline?
(a) Mentally disturbed woman.
(b) Broken heart.
(c) Dangerous mine.
(d) Safe harbor.
2. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
(a) He lacks knowledge.
(b) He is unhygienic.
(c) He lacks compassion.
(d) Poor bedside manner.
3. What did Elgin study when he finished going to school?
(a) Cancer research.
(b) Doctor-patient interaction.
(c) Veterinary science.
4. What does the violence in the novel represent?
5. What type of people was Frank raised by?
6. How does the narrator feel about one day marrying Louise?
(a) The narrator does not believe in any marriage.
(b) The narrator fears marrying Louise.
(c) The narrator wants to marry Louise.
(d) The narrator thinks Louise has more to benefit from marriage than the narrator does.
7. Where does the narrator work?
8. Which lover told the narrator that the past no longer existed in their love?
9. What did Jacqueline destroy in her apartment?
(a) Ceiling tiles.
(b) Bathroom fixtures.
(c) Kitchen appliances.
10. What explains Louise's easy affection for the narrator?
(a) Her relationship with Elgin.
(b) Her relationship with herself.
(c) Her relationship with Jacqueline.
(d) Her relationship with her father.
11. What does the narrator compare his or her affair with Louise to?
(a) Other affairs Louise has had.
(b) High school relationships.
(c) Other affairs the narrator has had.
(d) A couple in therapy.
12. What does Elgin ask Louise after he learns the truth?
(a) If she will move out of the house.
(b) If she will move away with him.
(c) If she will have a child with him.
(d) If she will divorce him.
13. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
14. Who does Louise describe as being bad with people?
(b) The narrator.
15. Why is the narrator dating Jacqueline?
(a) The narrator feels bad for her.
(b) The narrator wants to get revenge on Jacqueline.
(c) The narrator wants to avoid getting hurt.
(d) The narrator loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator believe Louise feels about Elgin?
2. What did Elgin study?
3. What is Louise's last name?
4. Which of the following best describes Bruno?
5. How did Elgin's mother die?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)