|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which lover told the narrator that the past no longer existed in their love?
2. What is Elgin's religion?
(a) He is Catholic.
(b) He is Protestant.
(c) He is Jewish.
(d) He is an atheist.
3. What type of woman is the narrator known to seek out?
(a) Married women.
(b) Angry women.
(c) Educated women.
(d) Shy women.
4. How does Elgin feel about Louise finding sexual fulfillment elsewhere?
(a) He understands it.
(b) He loathes the idea.
(c) He is disgusted by Louise.
(d) He is completely comfortable with it.
5. What relationship does the reader fear the narrator will have with Louise?
(a) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Inge.
(b) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Frank.
(c) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline.
(d) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Bathsheba.
6. How does Elgin feel about Louise?
(a) He is ashamed of her.
(b) He does not have any feelings for her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He wants to be with her even if he also has to be with the narrator.
7. According to the narrator, what is commitment?
(a) The here and now of a relationship.
(b) A pact to remain with somebody forever.
(c) A lack of effort.
(d) A conscious choice.
8. What did Elgin study when he finished going to school?
(a) Doctor-patient interaction.
(b) Veterinary science.
(c) Cancer research.
9. How does the reader perceive Jacqueline's anger?
(a) It is understated.
(b) It is understandable.
(c) It is overstated.
(d) It is too intense.
10. What does the violence in the novel represent?
11. How does the reader view the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline?
(a) The narrator genuinely loves Jacqueline.
(b) Jacqueline is using the narrator.
(c) Jacqueline could not care less about her relationship with the narrator.
(d) The narrator is using Jacqueline.
12. How does Louise react to the narrator's act of violence?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She is hurt.
13. What is Jacqueline's relationship with Louise?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are co-workers.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They are lovers.
14. Which of the following best describes Elgin's parents?
15. What does Louise ask the narrator when telling him or her about Elgin?
(a) If their relationship will include living together.
(b) If their relationship will include children.
(c) If their relationship will include marriage.
(d) If they have a chance of lasting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the narrator when he or she is in a relationship with Jacqueline?
2. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
3. Why is the narrator dating Jacqueline?
4. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
5. Who does Jacqueline lock out of her apartment?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)