|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Jacqueline married to?
(a) A writer.
(b) A dentist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A painter.
2. What did Elgin study?
(b) Food preparation.
3. Where does Louise invite the narrator to go together alone?
(a) The opera.
(b) The movie theather.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A museum.
4. Which of the following best describes Bruno?
5. What is Elgin's religion?
(a) He is Catholic.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) He is an atheist.
(d) He is Protestant.
6. What do vague elements in the story allow the reader to focus on?
(d) Emotive language.
7. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
(a) The narrator.
(c) Elgin's father.
8. Which of the following describes Elgin and Louise's marriage?
(a) They lack physical affection.
(b) They don't spend any time together anymore.
(c) They lack internal affection.
(d) They lack compassion for anybody except themselves.
9. Who does Jacqueline lock out of her apartment?
(d) The narrator.
10. According to the narrator, who would appreciate an affair?
11. Which of the following is most comparable to Jacqueline?
(a) Broken heart.
(b) Safe harbor.
(c) Mentally disturbed woman.
(d) Dangerous mine.
12. What type of art did Inge object to?
(c) Classic paintings.
(d) Graphic design.
13. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
(a) Relationships become boring.
(b) Men are not able to please women.
(c) Long-term relationships are no longer possible.
(d) Women are forced into marriage.
14. What did Bathsheba bring out most in the narrator?
(a) A bad side.
(b) A sexual side.
(c) A philosophical side.
(d) A shy side.
15. Which opinion of the narrator's has changed?
(a) Opinion about health conditions.
(b) Opinion about marriage.
(c) Opinion about Jacqueline.
(d) Opinion about compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louise's last name?
2. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
3. Which best describes the narrator's reliability?
4. What does Elgin ask Louise after he learns the truth?
5. Which of the following is Louise's goal?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)