|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is foreshadowed to be the "villain"?
(d) The narrator.
2. Who does Jacqueline lock out of her apartment?
(d) The narrator.
3. When did the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline stop expanding?
(a) When they moved in together.
(b) When they met each other's parents.
(c) When they got married.
(d) When they had a child.
4. What relationship does the reader fear the narrator will have with Louise?
(a) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Bathsheba.
(b) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Inge.
(c) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Frank.
(d) Similar to the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline.
5. Whose belongings does Jacqueline destroy?
(b) The narrator's.
(d) Her own.
6. Which of the following is most comparable to Jacqueline?
(a) Mentally disturbed woman.
(b) Broken heart.
(c) Safe harbor.
(d) Dangerous mine.
7. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
(a) He lacks compassion.
(b) Poor bedside manner.
(c) He lacks knowledge.
(d) He is unhygienic.
8. After fighting with Jacqueline, who does the narrator go to?
9. How does Elgin feel about Louise?
(a) He wants to be with her even if he also has to be with the narrator.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He does not have any feelings for her.
(d) He is ashamed of her.
10. Where does Louise invite the narrator to go together alone?
(a) The movie theather.
(b) The opera.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A museum.
11. Who does Louise describe as being bad with people?
(a) The narrator.
12. When the narrator goes on a first date with Louise, who is he or she supposed to spend the night with?
13. Which of the following describes Elgin and Louise's marriage?
(a) They lack compassion for anybody except themselves.
(b) They lack physical affection.
(c) They lack internal affection.
(d) They don't spend any time together anymore.
14. What is Elgin's religion?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He is Catholic.
(c) He is an atheist.
(d) He is Protestant.
15. Which of the following causes a rift between Elgin and his parents?
(a) Elgin married a Jewish woman.
(b) Elgin did not have children with his wife.
(c) Elgin did not become a doctor.
(d) Elgin married a woman who is not Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
2. When is Louise ready to hear that the narrator loves her?
3. What is Louise's last name?
4. Who does the narrator hit?
5. According to Louise, what is Elgin best suited for?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)