|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What suggests that the narrator's relationship with Louise will be different from previous relationships?
(a) Louise will not have a sexual relationship with the narrator.
(b) Louise and the narrator do not actually care for each other.
(c) Louise and the narrator do not live together.
(d) Louise won't let the narrator express love for her.
2. According to the narrator, who would never appreciate an affair?
3. What is the narrator scared will happen if he or she reveals his or her true feelings to Louise?
(a) She will benefit from not knowing.
(b) She will fear the narrator.
(c) She will be scared away.
(d) She will become too eager.
4. Which of the following is a theme in the novel?
(a) Angry ex-lovers.
(b) Lost relationships.
(c) The past is always hurtful.
(d) Loving somebody you can't have.
5. Who does Jacqueline lock out of her apartment?
(b) The narrator.
6. What does the violence in the novel represent?
7. Which of the following describes Jacqueline's allure to the narrator?
8. After the narrator reveals the truth, what is Jacqueline's fate?
(a) She is homeless.
(b) She is guaranteed to find love elsewhere.
(c) She is now doomed.
(d) She has been saved.
9. According to the narrator, what is the end of passion?
(c) Old age.
10. What is most significant about the narrator?
(a) The reader doesn't understand the narrator's motives.
(b) The narrator has had many affairs.
(c) The narrator is unlikeable.
(d) The reader doesn't know the gender or name of the narrator.
11. How does Louise view Elgin?
(b) Purposely hurtful.
12. Why can't Elgin practice traditional medicine?
(a) He lacks compassion.
(b) Poor bedside manner.
(c) He is unhygienic.
(d) He lacks knowledge.
13. What does the narrator compare his or her affair with Louise to?
(a) A couple in therapy.
(b) High school relationships.
(c) Other affairs the narrator has had.
(d) Other affairs Louise has had.
14. Which of the following describes Elgin and Louise's marriage?
(a) They don't spend any time together anymore.
(b) They lack internal affection.
(c) They lack physical affection.
(d) They lack compassion for anybody except themselves.
15. Which of the following causes a rift between Elgin and his parents?
(a) Elgin did not have children with his wife.
(b) Elgin married a Jewish woman.
(c) Elgin married a woman who is not Jewish.
(d) Elgin did not become a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elgin study?
2. Why is the narrator dating Jacqueline?
3. How does the reader view the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline?
4. According to the narrator, how many married women have affairs?
5. What did Elgin study when he finished going to school?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)