|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jacqueline's relationship with Louise?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are co-workers.
(d) They are lovers.
2. How does Elgin feel about Louise finding sexual fulfillment elsewhere?
(a) He is disgusted by Louise.
(b) He is completely comfortable with it.
(c) He loathes the idea.
(d) He understands it.
3. Which character is the biggest representation of foreshadowing?
4. Which lover brought out the best in the narrator?
5. Which of the following best describes the narrator's sexual relationship with Jacqueline?
(a) Jacqueline does not want to have sex with the narrator.
(b) The narrator does not believe in sexual attraction.
(c) The narrator is not sexually attracted to Jacqueline.
(d) The narrator is passionate about Jacqueline.
6. What does Elgin ask Louise after he learns the truth?
(a) If she will divorce him.
(b) If she will have a child with him.
(c) If she will move away with him.
(d) If she will move out of the house.
7. What is Louise's last name?
8. When the narrator reflects back on early days of his or her affair with Louise, what types of memories are they?
9. Which of the following is a theme in the novel?
(c) Finding love with somebody you previously hated.
(d) Sexual frustration.
10. What is the narrator scared will happen if he or she reveals his or her true feelings to Louise?
(a) She will fear the narrator.
(b) She will be scared away.
(c) She will benefit from not knowing.
(d) She will become too eager.
11. What did Elgin study?
(c) Food preparation.
12. What explains Louise's easy affection for the narrator?
(a) Her relationship with Jacqueline.
(b) Her relationship with herself.
(c) Her relationship with her father.
(d) Her relationship with Elgin.
13. What is the narrator afraid of about revealing his or her relationship with Louise?
(a) Hurting Jacqueline emotionally.
(b) Getting hurt emotionally by Louise.
(c) Not having a place to live.
(d) Getting physically hurt by Jacqueline.
14. Which of the following causes a rift between Elgin and his parents?
(a) Elgin did not become a doctor.
(b) Elgin married a Jewish woman.
(c) Elgin did not have children with his wife.
(d) Elgin married a woman who is not Jewish.
15. What does Louise ask the narrator when telling him or her about Elgin?
(a) If they have a chance of lasting.
(b) If their relationship will include living together.
(c) If their relationship will include children.
(d) If their relationship will include marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elgin about Louise's affair with the narrator?
2. What type of people was Frank raised by?
3. What relationship does the reader fear the narrator will have with Louise?
4. Who does Jacqueline lock out of her apartment?
5. How does the reader view the narrator's relationship with Jacqueline?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)