Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator look back at affairs?
2. According to the narrator, why do married women have affairs?
3. Describe Inge.
4. What is Bathsheba's lasting effect on the narrator?
5. Describe Jacqueline.
6. Why did the narrator choose to stay with Jacqueline for a short while?
7. Is the narrator using Jacqueline? Why or why not?
8. What is the narrator's initial impression of Louise?
9. What is Louise's effect on the narrator?
10. What has caused a rift between Louise and Elgin?
11. How does the narrator justify his or her relationship with Louise?
12. Why doesn't the narrator leave Jacqueline for Louise?
13. Why does Louise refuse the narrator's affection?
14. Is the narrator reliable? Why or why not?
15. What is the significance behind not knowing the name and gender of the narrator?
16. What foreshadowing is present in this story?
17. What is Jacqueline's reaction to finding out about the narrator's affair with Louise?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)