|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fechner believed that consciousness is based on which of the following?
2. What religion does James say relies on elaborate ceremony and hierarchy?
3. What does James say life consists of?
4. James believes the salvation approach relies on what kind of experience?
5. According to James, there are two ways of looking at the whole of the universe. What are these ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James describe reasoning as a part of rationalism?
2. What information about Bergson does James want the reader to take note of?
3. What are James' essential elements to religion?
4. What does noetic pluralism indicate to James?
5. Describe the pragmatic and pluralistic way of looking at "To You."
6. What is pluralism?
7. For a man to experience the divine, what does James insist he must do?
8. What is the rationalist position?
9. What does James say about other theorists and their experiences?
10. What did you learn about Josiah Royce from James' lectures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does James describe two different ways of examining "To You" by Walt Whitman? Describe each of these methods.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the elements of religion that James defines. Which element of religion is the foundation? Why are the other elements significant? Does the idea of religion having essential elements detract from James' concept of religion being based on an individual level?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Royce and Bergson. What do they believe about empiricism? Ignorance? Attention? Life? Experience?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)