|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James says that the field of consciousness is a center fringed by which of the following?
2. James states that which viewpoint is the process for determining truth?
3. According to James, there are two ways of looking at the whole of the universe. What are these ways?
4. What kind of god does James find in the all-form?
5. James suggests that the experience of evil is necessary from an existential viewpoint to access deep levels of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is pluralism?
2. How does James define religion?
3. What is the rationalist position?
4. Describe Fechner's approach to philosophy.
5. How does James describe reasoning as a part of rationalism?
6. What does James say about other theorists and their experiences?
7. What is radical empiricism?
8. What did you learn about Josiah Royce from James' lectures?
9. What assertions does James make about ignorance?
10. What information about Bergson does James want the reader to take note of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does James describe two different ways of examining "To You" by Walt Whitman? Describe each of these methods.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the elements of religion that James defines. Which element of religion is the foundation? Why are the other elements significant? Does the idea of religion having essential elements detract from James' concept of religion being based on an individual level?
Essay Topic 3
Describe James' personal philosophy. How do his personal philosophies compare to your own? How does this affect the way you relate to James' lectures and essays?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)