|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the vendors in the initial scene?
2. How is Okei disciplined early in the story?
3. What is the name of the village Nduka and Uche want to take Okei to meet girls in the opening chapters?
4. In preparation for tonight's meeting, who does Okei enlist the help of to sweep the meeting area?
5. Obi Agilaga and Obi Uwechue sit and discuss young men who refuse to work but find time to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Okei downs his opponent and the match appears to be over, what takes place next?
2. What do Okei and his friends hear as they wait in the bushes for Josephine and her girlfriends to finish bathing?
3. What does Uche relate to Okei the morning following Kwutelu's ear being severed?
4. How has Okei come to live with Obi Agiliga and Nne Ojo?
5. In what way does the wrestling event conclude?
6. What transpires when Obi Agiliga comes home and finds the youths meeting as Okei has called?
7. How does the discussion concerning farming go at Okei's meeting?
8. How does the confrontation between Okei and Nne Ojo escalate in the first chapter?
9. In the opening of Chapter 4, what does Uche's family believe will happen when he gets up very early?
10. How does Obi Uju come to accidentally cut Kwutelu's ear off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Buchi Emecheta introduces the reader to the central character, Okei, in the initial chapter. Who is Okei? How does the story center on him? What background does the author provide regarding this individual?
Essay Topic 2
What event initially takes place in Chapter 3 that brings Obi Agiliga and Obi Uwechue to smile at each other? What are the different incidents that occur throughout the book which bring the elders to chuckle to themselves, laugh, wink, or smile at each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author employ the views of traditional Nigerian farmers with those of educated youths in the late 1960s and early 1970s regarding the raising of crops?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)