|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is necessary for culture to flourish in a nation according to Einstein?
(a) prosperity allowing time to pursue culture and respect for culture.
(b) state support of theatre and the arts.
(c) excellent art and music schools.
(d) emphasis on the importance of culture taught to children.
2. What did Einstein deem the most important thing in helping humanity forward?
(a) money and economic well-being.
(b) school education.
(c) scientific advancements.
(d) the example of great and pure characters.
3. Who prevents the peaceful settlement of international disputes according to Einstein?
(a) the wealthy.
(b) the citizens of the different countries.
(c) political leaders.
(d) arms manufacturers.
4. What is the prime cause of the moral collapse of the white race according to Einstein?
(d) compulsory military service.
5. How does Einstein feel one does the best service to his fellowmen?
(a) by giving them some elevating work to do.
(b) by teaching them.
(c) by being a good example.
(d) by sharing one's goods with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosopher said: "a man can do as he will, but not will as he will" , a saying which inspired Einstein from his youth up?
2. Tyrants of genius are succeeded by whom, in Einstein's opinion?
3. Who was it who spoke the following words: "It's no use, Gentlemen, science is and remains international."
4. Which nation had a vigorous cultural tradition producing great artists, writers etc.?
5. Who was Einstein's closest friend during the time he spent in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Einstein think explained the symptoms of decadence and the severe struggle for existence to the detriment of the individual?
2. What did Einstein say he had never with his whole heart really belonged to?
3. According to Einstein what was religion based on for primitive man and what did it develop into?
4. What two comments did Einstein make about class differences?
5. What was Einstein's opinion about conscientious objectors?
6. Why did Einstein feel H.A. Lorentz was the greatest and noblest man of his times?
7. What were some of Einstein's objections to compulsory military service?
8. What were some criticisms Einstein had about the League of Nations and the Court of Arbitration?
9. What was Einstein's alternative to compulsory military service and how would this be implemented?
10. Describe Einstein's view of minorities; which one does he refer to at the end of Part II?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)