|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote an article on Zionism and the Zurich Congress which Einstein felt impelled to answer?
(a) Professor Hellpach.
(b) Professor Heimweh.
(c) Professor Lipps.
(d) Professor Stillgut.
2. In Einstein's opinion with what is Judaism almost exclusively concerned?
(a) creating a Jewish nation.
(b) loyalty to theology of Judaism.
(c) excellency in every direction.
(d) the moral attitude in life and to life.
3. What is the function of the Torah in Judaism?
(a) It explains why the Jewish people are God's chosen people.
(b) It lays down the laws for Jews.
(c) It is a symbol of the solidarity of the Jewish people.
(d) It is so sacred it may only be read by rabbis.
4. What are the Torah and Talmud to Einstein?
(a) his most beloved possessions.
(b) evidence of the Jewish manner of life in earlier times.
(c) what he bases his life on.
(d) infallible, sacred Jewish writings.
5. In Einstein's opinion what is the Jewish outlook in the philosophical sense?
(a) The Jewish outlook, philosophically speaking, is pessimistic.
(b) Philosophically speaking there is no specific Jewish outlook.
(c) The Jewish outlook is one of optimism.
(d) The Jewish outlook is one of pre-determination.
6. Which two Gentile writers was Einstein happy to see attend the speech he gave in London?
(a) Henry James and Aldous Huxley.
(b) Somerset Maugham and T.S. Eliot.
(c) Bernard Shaw and H.G. Wells.
(d) Oscar Wilde and Robert Burns.
7. Einstein had also been a corresponding member of what other academy of Sciences?
(a) The French Academy of Sciences.
(b) The Swiss Academy of Sciences.
(c) The Austrian Academy of Science.
(d) The Bavarian Academy of Sciences.
8. What was the date Einstein wrote his Manifesto about only staying in a country with political liberty, toleration and equality of citizens existed?
(a) March, 1934.
(b) March, 1933.
(c) May, 1932.
(d) May, 1935.
9. What did Einstein want the Prussian Academy of Sciences to do with his written statement?
(a) enter it into the minutes of the next Academy meeting.
(b) communicate it to its members and to the German public.
(c) read it out loud at the meeting of the Academy.
(d) publish it in prominent German newspapers.
10. What did Einstein feel was one of the noblest features of the French tradition?
(a) the bravery of the French people.
(b) the highly developed sense of justice of the French people.
(c) the honesty of the French people.
(d) the love of life the French exhibit.
11. When did the Prussian Academy take cognizance of Einstein's resignation?
(a) in its plenary session of March 29, 1933.
(b) in its plenary session of March 18, 1933.
(c) in it's plenary session of April 2, 1933.
(d) in its plenary session of March 30, 1933.
12. What was leading to success regarding the reconstruction of Palestine in Einstein's opinion?
(a) financial aid from American Jews.
(b) God's promise that Jews were the chosen people.
(c) ceaseless work, supported by a noble purpose.
(d) a lot of miraculous coincidences.
13. What does Judaism attempt to do according to Einstein?
(a) unify the Jews scattered all over the world.
(b) use ancient stories to teach morality.
(c) prove itself the best of all belief systems.
(d) base the moral law on fear.
14. What did the German scientific academies do that Einstein deplored?
(a) were too social.
(b) were too bureaucratic.
(c) wrote too many scientific treatises.
(d) stood by while German savants etc. were deprived of work.
15. Einstein was a citizen of what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was expressly included in the command to keep holy the Sabbath day?
2. The demands of what form of societal system were for the most part first raised by the Jews, according to Einstein?
3. What did Einstein consider would have been the repudiation of all the notions of justice and liberty for which he stood all his life?
4. Who made the following remark to Einstein: "When a Jew says that he's going hunting to amuse himself, he lies."
5. On what date did Einstein write an answer to the Prussian Academy's statement against him?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)