|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Secretary of the Prussian Academy of Sciences?
(a) Dr. Ernst Heymann.
(b) Dr. Heinrich Edelmann.
(c) Dr. Erhardt Birn.
(d) Dr. Eckhardt Lehmann.
2. What accusation by the Prussian Academy of Sciences did Einstein feel was slanderous?
(a) that wrote bogus scientific papers.
(b) that he was a snob and an elitist.
(c) that he had taken part in atrocity-mongering against Germany.
(d) that he was disloyal to the future of Science.
3. What did Einstein feel would have undermined the ideas and principles which had won a place of honor for Germany in the civilized world?
(a) His putting in a "good word" for the German nation of 1933.
(b) His resignation from the Prussian Academy of Sciences.
(c) His resignation from the Bavarian Academy of Sciences.
(d) His attacking the politics of Germany in 1933.
4. What does Judaism insist on concerning all living things, especially humans, according to Einstein?
5. What did Einstein feel was one of the noblest features of the French tradition?
(a) the bravery of the French people.
(b) the highly developed sense of justice of the French people.
(c) the love of life the French exhibit.
(d) the honesty of the French people.
6. What is a particularly characteristic feature of the Jewish tradition brought about by the hallowing of the supra-individual life?
(a) a reverence for one's Jewish ancestors.
(b) a reverence for Orthodox Judaism.
(c) a reverence for everything spiritual.
(d) a reverence for rabbis.
7. What was expressly included in the command to keep holy the Sabbath day?
(a) choice of food to be eaten.
(d) the synagogue or temple.
8. With which famous French writer did Einstein compare himself with in explaining his decision not to associate with the French Manifesto
9. What was the official date of Einstein's resignation from the Prussian Academy of Sciences?
(a) March 30, 1933.
(b) March 28, 1933.
(c) March 8, 1933.
(d) March 27, 1933.
10. What kind of society did Einstein declare the Jews were not trying to create in Palestine?
(a) a political society.
(b) a religious society.
(c) a capitalistic society.
(d) a restrictive society.
11. On what date did Einstein write an answer to the Prussian Academy's statement against him?
(a) April 5, 1934.
(b) April 5, 1933.
(c) April 15, 1933.
(d) April 12, 1933.
12. When did the Prussian Academy take cognizance of Einstein's resignation?
(a) in its plenary session of March 29, 1933.
(b) in its plenary session of March 18, 1933.
(c) in its plenary session of March 30, 1933.
(d) in it's plenary session of April 2, 1933.
13. According to Einstein what is the supreme value to which all other values are subordinate?
(a) the sacredness of Life.
(d) love of one's fellow man.
14. What reason did Einstein give for resigning from The Prussian Academy of Sciences?
(a) He didn't want to support the destruction of German culture.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He wasn't treated with enough civility.
(d) He was immigrating to America.
15. What were the names of the two secretaries of the Prussian Academy of Sciences who signed the Academy's answer to Einstein?
(a) H. von Pueschner and E. Heidegger.
(b) H. von Ficker and E. Heymann.
(c) F. von Edelmann and E. Heinemann.
(d) H. von Hofsmannsthal and E. Lessing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the German scientific academies do that Einstein deplored?
2. When was the declaration of the Prussian Academy of Sciences against Einstein written?
3. On what date did Einstein write to The Prussian Academy of Sciences telling them why he would not put in a "good word" on the part of the German people?
4. What is the function of the Torah in Judaism?
5. What is the Jewish God according to Einstein?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)