|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the O.R.T. society do try to do for the Jewish people?
(a) organize the Jewish youth.
(b) set up libraries in Palestine.
(c) rid the Jews of social and economic handicaps.
(d) build synagogues and temples in Palestine.
2. What was expressly included in the command to keep holy the Sabbath day?
(c) the synagogue or temple.
(d) choice of food to be eaten.
3. According to Einstein what is the supreme value to which all other values are subordinate?
(b) the sacredness of Life.
(d) love of one's fellow man.
4. What was one of the most important aims of the Zionist organization?
(a) have the new Palestine become famous for progress.
(b) establish a Jewish nattional symphone orchestra.
(c) establish the Jews as the chosen people.
(d) establish a Jewish university in Jerusalem.
5. The pure doctrine of Judaism is obscured by what according to Einstein?
(a) by a feeling pessimism and unbelief.
(b) by not heeding the teaching of the rabbis.
(c) by not following the laws of the Torah.
(d) by too much worship of the letter.
6. What did Einstein feel was one of the noblest features of the French tradition?
(a) the bravery of the French people.
(b) the highly developed sense of justice of the French people.
(c) the honesty of the French people.
(d) the love of life the French exhibit.
7. What does Judaism attempt to do according to Einstein?
(a) use ancient stories to teach morality.
(b) unify the Jews scattered all over the world.
(c) prove itself the best of all belief systems.
(d) base the moral law on fear.
8. What kind of spirit should Jewish youth cultivate in Einstein's opinion?
(a) the religious spirit.
(b) the spirit of communal living.
(c) the international spirit.
(d) the spirit of adventure.
9. In what German city was the Bavarian Academy of Sciences located?
10. With which famous French writer did Einstein compare himself with in explaining his decision not to associate with the French Manifesto
11. What had the Prussian Academy of Sciences wanted Einstein to do?
(a) write a newspaper article defending Germany's position.
(b) put in a good word for the German people.
(c) give the Academy credit for his scientific research.
(d) denounce America and France.
12. On what date did Einstein write to The Prussian Academy of Sciences telling them why he would not put in a "good word" on the part of the
(a) April 10, 1933.
(b) April 13, 1933.
(c) April 11, 1933.
(d) April 12, 1933.
13. At the beginning of Part III Einstein compared the psychic distemper of a society with what?
(a) a rabid dog.
(b) an inner revolution.
(c) the psychic distemper of an individual.
(d) a rapidly-spreading epidemic.
14. Who wrote an article on Zionism and the Zurich Congress which Einstein felt impelled to answer?
(a) Professor Lipps.
(b) Professor Hellpach.
(c) Professor Heimweh.
(d) Professor Stillgut.
15. What had he not wanted done with the written document he gave the International League for combating anti-Semitism?
(a) He had not wanted it given to the Press.
(b) He had not wanted it used to enlist support.
(c) He had not wanted it used for hate-mongering.
(d) He had not wanted his name put on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was leading to success regarding the reconstruction of Palestine in Einstein's opinion?
2. Einstein had also been a corresponding member of what other academy of Sciences?
3. Who was the Secretary of the Prussian Academy of Sciences?
4. What was the third feature of the Jewish tradition Einstein was so thankful for?
5. What should Jewish youth take an interest in according to Einstein?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)