|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the official date of Einstein's resignation from the Prussian Academy of Sciences?
(a) March 30, 1933.
(b) March 27, 1933.
(c) March 28, 1933.
(d) March 8, 1933.
2. Which two Gentile writers was Einstein happy to see attend the speech he gave in London?
(a) Bernard Shaw and H.G. Wells.
(b) Henry James and Aldous Huxley.
(c) Oscar Wilde and Robert Burns.
(d) Somerset Maugham and T.S. Eliot.
3. What is it that gives the only meaning to the life of an individual?
(a) how successful the individual is.
(b) that individual's relationship with God.
(c) how that individual relates to his race.
(d) how he aids in making others' lives nobler and more beautiful.
4. What two things did Einstein emphasize to Jewish youth were important for the destiny of the Jews?
(a) sticking together and helping each other.
(b) obeying one's parents and the rabbi.
(c) being faithful to the Torah and to the Talmud.
(d) being ambitious and working hard.
5. What was the third feature of the Jewish tradition Einstein was so thankful for?
(a) the will to succeed.
(b) the desire for personal independence.
(c) love of the Torah.
(d) love of science.
6. What was the primary duty of a scientific academy in Einstein's opinion?
(a) to do scientific research.
(b) to hold regular meetings for scientists' intercommunication.
(c) to publish scientific papers.
(d) to encourage and protect the scientific life of a country.
7. Einstein had also been a corresponding member of what other academy of Sciences?
(a) The Austrian Academy of Science.
(b) The French Academy of Sciences.
(c) The Swiss Academy of Sciences.
(d) The Bavarian Academy of Sciences.
8. What is the Jewish God according to Einstein?
(a) a negation of superstition.
(b) a mighty and fearful power.
(c) A God made in man's likeness.
(d) Abraham's and all Jews' father.
9. Einstein was a citizen of what country?
10. On what date did Einstein write an answer to the Prussian Academy's statement against him?
(a) April 5, 1933.
(b) April 5, 1934.
(c) April 15, 1933.
(d) April 12, 1933.
11. Why was the Prussian Academy of Sciences particularly upset at Einstein's statements?
(a) They revealed Germany for what it was.
(b) They were statements from a man of world-wide reputation.
(c) They were the truth.
(d) They were lies in the opinion of the Academy.
12. What does Judaism insist on concerning all living things, especially humans, according to Einstein?
13. Who made the following remark to Einstein: "When a Jew says that he's going hunting to amuse himself, he lies."
(a) Elie Wiesenthal.
(c) Saul Weissman.
(d) Walter Rathenau.
14. On what date did Einstein write to The Prussian Academy of Sciences telling them why he would not put in a "good word" on the part of the
(a) April 11, 1933.
(b) April 13, 1933.
(c) April 12, 1933.
(d) April 10, 1933.
15. What famous French legal case did Einstein use to illustrate his decision not to associate with the French Manifesto against anti-Semitism?
(a) the Monsieur Harlecoute case.
(b) the Devil's Island case.
(c) the Dreyfus case.
(d) the Marie Antoinette case.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the best of the Prophets and Jesus do according to Einstein?
2. What is another feature of the Jewish tradition which Einstein highly values?
3. Einstein addressed the Jews of Hungary on behalf of whom?
4. What had the Prussian Academy of Sciences wanted Einstein to do?
5. What kind of spirit should Jewish youth cultivate in Einstein's opinion?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)