|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of religion is Judaism not according to Einstein?
2. What was expressly included in the command to keep holy the Sabbath day?
(a) the synagogue or temple.
(d) choice of food to be eaten.
3. What does Judaism insist on concerning all living things, especially humans, according to Einstein?
4. What were the names of the two secretaries of the Prussian Academy of Sciences who signed the Academy's answer to Einstein?
(a) F. von Edelmann and E. Heinemann.
(b) H. von Ficker and E. Heymann.
(c) H. von Pueschner and E. Heidegger.
(d) H. von Hofsmannsthal and E. Lessing.
5. When did the Prussian Academy take cognizance of Einstein's resignation?
(a) in it's plenary session of April 2, 1933.
(b) in its plenary session of March 30, 1933.
(c) in its plenary session of March 18, 1933.
(d) in its plenary session of March 29, 1933.
6. According to Einstein from where does true scientific research draw its spiritual sustenance?
(a) from the Talmud.
(b) from a sense of a Higher Power.
(c) from the Psalms.
(d) from the book of Leviticus.
7. In what German city was the Prussian Academy of Sciences located?
8. What was the reason Einstein gave for no longer wanting to live in Germany?
(a) no legal equality or freedom to say or teach what he wanted.
(b) He planned to emigrate to America.
(c) He preferred France.
(d) He was Jewish.
9. What famous French legal case did Einstein use to illustrate his decision not to associate with the French Manifesto against anti-Semitism?
(a) the Devil's Island case.
(b) the Monsieur Harlecoute case.
(c) the Dreyfus case.
(d) the Marie Antoinette case.
10. What is the function of the Talmud?
(a) The Talmud interpretes the Torah.
(b) The Talmud is a collection of Jewish parables.
(c) The Talmud describes the wanderings of the Jews.
(d) The Talmud describes the persecution of Jews.
11. What should Jewish youth take an interest in according to Einstein?
(a) obedience to their parents' traditions.
(c) Jewish questions and difficulties.
(d) education but also athletics.
12. What two things did Einstein emphasize to Jewish youth were important for the destiny of the Jews?
(a) obeying one's parents and the rabbi.
(b) being ambitious and working hard.
(c) being faithful to the Torah and to the Talmud.
(d) sticking together and helping each other.
13. Who did Einstein call "our leader" and praise for his zeal and circumspection?
14. What was one of the most important aims of the Zionist organization?
(a) have the new Palestine become famous for progress.
(b) establish a Jewish university in Jerusalem.
(c) establish the Jews as the chosen people.
(d) establish a Jewish nattional symphone orchestra.
15. On what date did Einstein write to The Prussian Academy of Sciences telling them why he would not put in a "good word" on the part of the
(a) April 10, 1933.
(b) April 11, 1933.
(c) April 13, 1933.
(d) April 12, 1933.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made the following remark to Einstein: "When a Jew says that he's going hunting to amuse himself, he lies."
2. When had Einstein acquired Prussian nationality by becoming a full member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences?
3. What is the essence of the Jewish conception of life according to Einstein?
4. What accusation by the Prussian Academy of Sciences did Einstein feel was slanderous?
5. What are the Torah and Talmud to Einstein?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)