|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Einstein write about the sacredness of the pursuit of scientific truth requesting protection of Italian scholars.
(a) Rocco, Minister of State, Rome.
(b) Bergoni, Italian Minister of Science.
(d) Niccolo Machiavelli.
2. What did H.A. Lorentz devote himself to?
(c) writing books
3. Who was it who spoke the following words: "It's no use, Gentlemen, science is and remains international."
(b) Emil Fischer.
(c) Dr. Katzenstein.
(d) Dr. Solf.
4. What does Einstein regard as contrary to justice and based on force?
(c) class differences.
5. What does Einstein believe prompted the development of the superior American technical devices and work organization?
(a) better education in the schools.
(b) the high price of labor.
(c) abundance of money.
(d) superior scientists and thinkers.
6. To whom shouldn't we leave the struggle against armaments and against the war spirit according to Einstein?
(a) to the youth of countries.
(b) to the people.
(c) to the Governments.
(d) to religion.
7. Dr. Solf was the pillar of what college?
(a) Princeton College.
(b) Lessing College.
(c) Berlin College.
(d) Schiller College.
8. Einstein called the League of Nations not much more than a what?
(b) weak attempt.
(c) meeting hall.
(d) pipe dream.
9. What did Einstein abhor as the worst outcrop of the herd nature?
(b) lack of individuality.
(d) the military system.
10. What is "apparent" overproduction?
(a) A misunderstanding that the amount produced is too much.
(b) Production exceeds the demand.
(c) A mistake in the statistics of what is actually produced.
(d) Not the demand but consumers' purchasing power is lacking.
11. What was Lorentz' "unspoken but faithfully followed advice"?
(a) "Not mastery but service".
(b) "To Thine Own Self Be True".
(c) "Virtue is its own reward".
(d) "Survival of the Fittest".
12. How many years did Einstein spend in Berlin?
13. What was Einstein's position in a nutshell?
(a) Intellectuals will finally triumph.
(b) Isolationism is best.
(c) Mere agreements to limit armaments furnish no security.
(d) War is useless.
14. Einstein compared the situation of the scientific world of his time to which Bible story?
(a) the Prodigal Son.
(b) the parable of the lost sheep.
(c) the Tower of Babel.
(d) Daniel in the Lion's Den.
15. What fundamental emotion stands at the cradle of true art and true science?
Short Answer Questions
1. Berliner wrote a textbook on which subject?
2. Who prevents the peaceful settlement of international disputes according to Einstein?
3. To whom did Einstein address a farewell letter stating he would no longer go to Geneva nor be a member of the Commission?
4. Who was Frauelein Knake?
5. What is the principle art of a teacher according to Einstein?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)