|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How heavy did Fred get?
2. What form of mutiny did the team commit?
3. What did Paulsen mix with the Boyardee to make a stew?
4. What scared Paulsen about the song the dogs sang?
5. How many of the dogs had gotten frost bitten ears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to him as a result?
2. How cold had it been that week?
3. What does Gary hear that breaks him of the spell that took him not to finish the Run?
4. What did the 'person' who arrived to help Paulsen look like?
5. What happens to the dogs when they get tangled up and turn inwards, and what was the risk created?
6. Why did Cookie stop before the arch?
7. Why is Gary unworried about the rumors he hears on the mandatory twenty-four hour layover?
8. Why did Cookie knowingly take the team over an edge for?
9. Why did the stump glow, did Paulsen find out later?
10. What strange activity did the cedar waxwings engage in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss dog sledding in the media and popular culture. What seems to be the social attitude towards dog sledding? How does this vary by the environment in which these people reside?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Paulsen's view of hunting changed, and the stimuli for this change. How does this affect his life later on? Does it make his life easier or more difficult, and how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Paulsen's experience on the Iditarod trail. Compare them to his experiences on his trail at home. What changes in the over all tone of the Run section? Discuss at least three different ways the second section contrasts to the first.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)