|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the difference between Columbia and Olaf?
2. Where did the animal attempt to go?
3. What stopped the wolves?
4. Which dog did Gary define as having had a sense of humor?
5. How many grouse eggs were there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gary think he was doing when he picked up the grouse eggs?
2. Why didn't Gary put the deer out of her misery?
3. What did Duberry do?
4. What is an "honest dog"?
5. What happens in serious cold?
6. How does Gary frequently feel while running dogs?
7. Why were people driven out of the house of Gary's neighbor?
8. What situation occurred to make Paulsen do something he didn't want to do?
9. What happened to Russel and Quincy that summer?
10. What excited Gary's dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss dog sledding as a environmental alternative to mass transport in areas where it would be supported in the winter. What changes would occur in the ecology and environment as a result, or what unforeseen consequences might arise?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the dogs are a constant source of learning for Paulsen, as well as what they have taught him.
Essay Topic 3
Storm and Paulsen possess a close relationship, to the point where he is nearly a pet as opposed to a working dog. Compare the differences between the way Paulsen discusses his other dogs and the way he refers to Storm. What other dog comes close, and how do they?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)