|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What started Gary's desire to learn more about the woods?
2. What was the lead dog's name?
3. What did Gary think about simply running the dogs for no reason?
4. What made the mean hen furious?
5. What happened when Gary had attempted to put the eggs under the mean-spirited hen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Duberry do?
2. As writing didn't completely pay the bills, how did Paulsen make ends meet?
3. What happened to Russel and Quincy that summer?
4. What did Paulsen not know about dog feed?
5. How does Gary frequently feel while running dogs?
6. What is the greatest paradox about understanding the woods?
7. What do people do that lived through the "summer of terror" do when Hawk is on top of the woodpile?
8. How does 'mother love' take on a different meaning with a Banty hen?
9. Why were people driven out of the house of Gary's neighbor?
10. What mistake does Paulsen never hope to make again and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the dogs are a constant source of learning for Paulsen, as well as what they have taught him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the domestication of animals to serve a purpose for humanity. Suggest purposes for each domesticated animal, and how it might have been tamed in the first place. How have these needs changed throughout history, and to what major purpose to most domesticated animals serve today? What are some notable exceptions to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the evolution of dogsledding, from when it was the only means of transportation to now being an optional means. What sort of things have become a luxury in the far north as a result of the change in shipping behavior? How has the overall public opinion changed as a result of alternative means of transportation?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)