|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose blood would begin to teach Paulsen?
2. What mistake did Paulsen make?
3. How did the wolves hold the animal?
4. What have bears learned in Alaska?
5. What didn't the grouse chicks know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it a gamble when the deer had come into the camp?
2. How does Gary frequently feel while running dogs?
3. What kinds of preparations need to be done before Paulsen can go to sleep?
4. What did Duberry do?
5. What was the game Gary witnessed Columbia play with Olaf at his expense?
6. How did Gary know he was in trouble?
7. What situation occurred to make Paulsen do something he didn't want to do?
8. Why didn't Paulsen kill the bear?
9. What do people do that lived through the "summer of terror" do when Hawk is on top of the woodpile?
10. What traits did Obeah possess that Paulsen thought made him a good lead dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times, Paulsen discusses an ancient connection with another part of humanity while he is running the dogs. Discuss whether or not this is a valid consideration and thought process, through the argument that human beings have further instincts as ingrained as the fight or flight instinct.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss dog sledding in the media and popular culture. What seems to be the social attitude towards dog sledding? How does this vary by the environment in which these people reside?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the kind of character it would require to be a successful musher, as well as the attitude an individual would have to have. What kinds of traits in a person might suggest their success at dog sledding, and how would these traits be applicable to the sport?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)