|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how heavy were each of these wolves?
2. What was the above all thing about the animal?
3. What kind of lick was being given?
4. Where has Gary spent most of his life?
5. What animals did the bears leave alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the game Gary witnessed Columbia play with Olaf at his expense?
2. How does Gary frequently feel while running dogs?
3. What had Gary believed before he was forty?
4. What did Duberry do?
5. What excited Gary's dogs?
6. What does Gary define as "Bone Wars"?
7. What traits did Obeah possess that Paulsen thought made him a good lead dog?
8. What kind of personality did Olaf have and why was he liked in spite of it?
9. What happened to Russel and Quincy that summer?
10. What did Paulsen not know about dog feed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Paulsen's experience on the Iditarod trail. Compare them to his experiences on his trail at home. What changes in the over all tone of the Run section? Discuss at least three different ways the second section contrasts to the first.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the domestication of animals to serve a purpose for humanity. Suggest purposes for each domesticated animal, and how it might have been tamed in the first place. How have these needs changed throughout history, and to what major purpose to most domesticated animals serve today? What are some notable exceptions to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes Paulsen explains that he cannot explain situations, and doubts that he even believes them himself, having lived through them. Research at least three unbelievable tales that actually turned out to be true, and utilize them as justification that Paulsen's experiences actually happened to him, despite their seeming unreal nature.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)