|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What needs do the dogs have for the races?
(a) Their shoulders must be rubbed to shake up lactic acid buildup.
(b) Their feet must be rubbed and massaged with ointment, booties must be applied when necessary.
(c) All of these.
(d) They must be fed a snack every hour or so.
2. What stops the sled?
(a) A bear.
(b) The sled breaks.
(c) A moose.
(d) A musher that had stopped to repair his own sled.
3. What leaves no mysteries?
(b) New snow.
(d) None of these.
4. What causes the warm gentle feeling that Paulsen gets at the checkpoint on day eleven?
(a) All of these.
(b) Being welcomed by the ghosts of the graveyard.
(c) Being welcomed by total strangers.
(d) Being surrounded by his dogs.
5. What does Gary do in his moment of sheer stupidity?
(a) Ties his feet to the sled.
(b) None of these.
(c) Ties his legs to the sled.
(d) Ties his arm to the sled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was strange about the light that Paulsen saw?
2. On day nine, what landed beside Paulsen and his team?
3. What direction did Storm's head face when he died?
4. What couldn't Paulsen see without his headlamp in the dark?
5. What did Gary learn from challenging his lead dog's sense of direction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the dogs strange with Gary?
2. On day thirteen, what does Paulsen begin to see everywhere?
3. What happened to him as a result?
4. What things didn't make sense about where the deer was?
5. What does Gary say the dogs told him while they were in the gully?
6. What did this person do for Paulsen?
7. What did Paulsen eat while stuck in the deep cold?
8. What was Gary worried about in day four?
9. What strange activity did the cedar waxwings engage in?
10. What is the difference with hallucinations during the race?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)