|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ears did Storm have?
(a) None of these.
(b) A bat's ears.
(c) A foxes ears.
(d) A bear's ears.
2. Where is the start of the Iditarod?
(a) Fairbanks, Alaska.
(b) Yellowknife, in the Northwest Territories of Canada.
(c) Anchorage, Alaska.
(d) Nome, Alaska.
3. What does everyone warn rookies about?
(a) The gorge.
(b) The Gut.
(c) All of these.
(d) The Chute.
4. Who does the man Paulsen meets remind him of?
(a) The man who had taught him how to mush.
(b) The person who helped him while he was sick and when he was lost in the Burn.
(c) His father.
(d) The man who had encouraged him to pursue his dreams of dog sledding.
5. What is a bad sign in a musher?
(a) Staring blankly.
(b) All of these.
(c) Teeth chattering.
(d) Stomping feet.
6. What did the man with the wolf want?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) To breed her to some big dogs.
(d) To kill Paulsen's team.
7. What things disappeared around Storm?
(a) A ladle.
(b) A cloth glove liner.
(c) A roll of tape.
(d) All of these.
8. What does Gary do to get the moose to move?
(a) He kicked the moose in the left flank.
(b) He made a loud noise to startle the moose.
(c) He pepper sprayed the moose.
(d) He utilized a bear banger on the moose.
9. What didn't Paulsen see the man do?
(a) Put three sodas in his sled.
(b) Put two sodas in his sled.
(c) Put a flask of rum in his sled.
(d) Put a flask of whiskey in his sled.
10. What leaves no mysteries?
(b) New snow.
(c) None of these.
11. On day nine, what landed beside Paulsen and his team?
(a) A griffin.
(b) A dragon.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A plane.
12. How many times did Fred attack the electric fence wire?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
13. What were mushers warned about that Gary approaches on day six?
(a) The Wastes.
(b) Both of these.
(c) The Burn.
(d) Neither of these.
14. How far is the run downhill on day twelve?
(a) Over ninety miles.
(b) Over a hundred miles.
(c) About ninety miles.
(d) About a hundred miles.
15. What scared Paulsen about the song the dogs sang?
(a) He had heard it only once before.
(b) All of these.
(c) It was a death song.
(d) It was a song the dogs had sung when one of their member had died in his kennel from old age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the word sound like in Paulsen's friend's mouth?
2. What did Paulsen end up eating to maintain energy?
3. How many paper bowls of chili did Paulsen eat?
4. How many cedar waxwings would alight on a branch?
5. Why is it hard to catch a grouse unaware?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)