|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the top of Wooden's schematic are confidence and what?
2. How does Wooden describe "team spirit"?
3. When does Wooden say he knew it was time for him to retire?
4. Wooden defines "intentness" as what?
5. How does Wooden refer to his method of making sure his team is in better physical condition than their opponents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wooden feel that parents shouldn't necessarily be concerned that their children aren't getting high grades?
2. Despite the fact that Wooden doesn't like all his players, how does he treat them?
3. Aside from the center block on Wooden's pyramid of success, what other blocks are in the middle row?
4. Where does winning come into place in Wooden's pyramid of success?
5. Wooden uses Abraham Lincoln to illustrate which of the four blocks that are at the second level of his pyramid of success? Why?
6. What three blocks are located between the first two blocks that Wooden describes when defining his pyramid of success? What do all five blocks make up?
7. What elements make up the "mortar" of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why does he choose these elements?
8. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
9. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
10. What does Wooden stress about listening to what people say about you? What example does he give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are three ways that Wooden tries to empower the reader of "Wooden" to try to be his or her best? (Example: Wooden uses Abraham Lincoln's life as a tool to motivate readers to become more like Lincoln.)
Essay Topic 2
Abraham Lincoln is referenced several times during "Wooden." When and why does Wooden choose to use Abraham Lincoln to make his points? What are those points?
Essay Topic 3
Wooden's father (as well as his father's influence) appears directly and indirectly throughout the course of the book. Write down how Wooden's father influenced Wooden in any three of the following areas:
1. Wooden's philosophy of coaching/teaching.
2. Wooden's pyramid of success.
3. Wooden's relationship with his players.
4. Wooden's relationship with his wife.
5. Wooden's decision to leave UCLA.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)