|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a UCLA player's first priority (according to Wooden)?
2. Who does Wooden say once said that he, "Learned something from everyone he met"?
3. For Wooden (in terms of his success schematic), skill goes hand in hand with what?
4. At the top of Wooden's schematic are confidence and what?
5. Throughout his career, what percentage of Wooden's players received their diplomas?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of parallels that occur in "Wooden." Discuss the parallels between three of the following topics:
1. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with the reader.
2. Wooden's time as a coach and Wooden's time as a father.
3. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with his team members.
4. Wooden's pyramid of success and Wooden's coaching career.
5. Wooden's thoughts about his father and Wooden's thoughts about Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous "tones" that Wooden uses throughout "Wooden." What tone would you attribute to each of these topics and why?
1. The Special Olympics.
2. The regular Olympics.
3. Joshua Wooden.
4. Nellie Wooden.
6. Abraham Lincoln.
7. The Bible.
8. Literature and poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Poetry is used throughout "Wooden." Explore the ways in which poetry assists the reader in any two of the following areas:
1. Understanding Wooden's father.
2. Understanding Wooden's relationship with his wife, Nellie.
3. Understanding Wooden's coaching/teaching principles.
4. Understanding the way Wooden raises his family.
5. Understanding Wooden's pyramid of success.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)