|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wooden ensure about every player's shoes?
2. A willingness to work hard is termed by Wooden as what?
3. What does Wooden call being your best when your best is needed?
4. Three elements that strongly influenced Wooden's ideas on success are his faith, ideas on morality, and what?
5. Wooden says that confidence is something that can only occur after what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "being fair" mean to Wooden when it comes to being a leader?
2. What elements make up the "mortar" of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why does he choose these elements?
3. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
4. How does Wooden end "Wooden"?
5. What are three ways that Wooden shows he cares about his players?
6. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
7. Where does winning come into place in Wooden's pyramid of success?
8. What three blocks are located between the first two blocks that Wooden describes when defining his pyramid of success? What do all five blocks make up?
9. Why does Wooden place a high importance on being a coach/teacher in terms of the coach-player relationship?
10. From where did Wooden get his ideas for his pyramid of success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poetry is used throughout "Wooden." Explore the ways in which poetry assists the reader in any two of the following areas:
1. Understanding Wooden's father.
2. Understanding Wooden's relationship with his wife, Nellie.
3. Understanding Wooden's coaching/teaching principles.
4. Understanding the way Wooden raises his family.
5. Understanding Wooden's pyramid of success.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of parallels that occur in "Wooden." Discuss the parallels between three of the following topics:
1. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with the reader.
2. Wooden's time as a coach and Wooden's time as a father.
3. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with his team members.
4. Wooden's pyramid of success and Wooden's coaching career.
5. Wooden's thoughts about his father and Wooden's thoughts about Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 3
Given what you know about Wooden's character, what would he think about the following types of people? (Be as specific as possible, citing places in the text where Wooden discusses these issues.)
1. A basketball player who is naturally talented but doesn't give 100% versus a basketball player who is average but who always gives his/her all.
2. A teacher who demands that all students get "A" grades "or else" versus a teacher who allows students to get away without working at all and just gives them good grades.
3. A parent who is very lenient with his/her child versus a parent who is very strict with his/her child.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)