|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wooden says when you take initiative, there are times when what may happen?
2. The way Wooden treats his players is similar to the way a man treats his what?
3. What does Wooden believe is necessary to properly prepare for any task?
4. Sometimes, players who had things going on in their lives wanted Wooden to do what?
5. Though Wooden doesn't like all of his players, he does feel what way about them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three priorities (in order of importance) Wooden feels every UCLA player should keep in mind?
2. What does "being fair" mean to Wooden when it comes to being a leader?
3. What block is at the center of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why?
4. What block is at the top of Wooden's pyramid of success? What does it mean?
5. When does Wooden say he knew it was time to retire from coaching at UCLA?
6. Where does winning come into place in Wooden's pyramid of success?
7. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
8. How do Wooden's beliefs regarding morality affect the way he's put his pyramid of success together?
9. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
10. Why does Wooden feel that parents shouldn't necessarily be concerned that their children aren't getting high grades?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall theme of the book "Wooden"? (In other words, what theme is the thread that holds the whole piece together?)
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous "tones" that Wooden uses throughout "Wooden." What tone would you attribute to each of these topics and why?
1. The Special Olympics.
2. The regular Olympics.
3. Joshua Wooden.
4. Nellie Wooden.
6. Abraham Lincoln.
7. The Bible.
8. Literature and poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Wooden tells the reader at the beginning of the book that he has a love for literature. How is his love for literature apparent at three different times during the text of "Wooden'? (Example: The use of poetry throughout "Wooden" shows that Wooden loves the written word and is familiar with many types of poems as well as authors.)
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)