Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a UCLA player's first priority (according to Wooden)?
2. Who does Wooden say once said that he, "Learned something from everyone he met"?
3. For Wooden (in terms of his success schematic), skill goes hand in hand with what?
4. At the top of Wooden's schematic are confidence and what?
5. Throughout his career, what percentage of Wooden's players received their diplomas?
Essay Topic 1
Given what you know about Wooden's character, what would he think about the following types of people? (Be as specific as possible, citing places in the text where Wooden discusses these issues.)
1. A basketball player who is naturally talented but doesn't give 100% versus a basketball player who is average but who always gives his/her all.
2. A teacher who demands that all students get "A" grades "or else" versus a teacher who allows students to get away without working at all and just gives them good grades.
3. A parent who is very lenient with his/her child versus a parent who is very strict with his/her child.
Essay Topic 2
Poetry is used throughout "Wooden." Explore the ways in which poetry assists the reader in any two of the following areas:
1. Understanding Wooden's father.
2. Understanding Wooden's relationship with his wife, Nellie.
3. Understanding Wooden's coaching/teaching principles.
4. Understanding the way Wooden raises his family.
5. Understanding Wooden's pyramid of success.
Essay Topic 3
Wooden tells the reader at the beginning of the book that he has a love for literature. How is his love for literature apparent at three different times during the text of "Wooden'? (Example: The use of poetry throughout "Wooden" shows that Wooden loves the written word and is familiar with many types of poems as well as authors.)
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)