|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wooden think people should feel about the work they do?
2. What does Wooden believe the worst punishment of a person would be?
3. Wooden feels that no matter what you're aiming to do, every person must be what?
4. How does Wooden handle his players' weaknesses?
5. Aside from sharing a knowledge of the game, how does Wooden help his team win?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wooden discuss his retirement from coaching during Part 3 of "Wooden"?
2. What block is at the top of Wooden's pyramid of success? What does it mean?
3. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
4. What three blocks are located between the first two blocks that Wooden describes when defining his pyramid of success? What do all five blocks make up?
5. What block is at the center of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why?
6. From where did Wooden get his ideas for his pyramid of success?
7. Wooden uses Abraham Lincoln to illustrate which of the four blocks that are at the second level of his pyramid of success? Why?
8. Despite the fact that Wooden doesn't like all his players, how does he treat them?
9. Why does Wooden place a high importance on being a coach/teacher in terms of the coach-player relationship?
10. What elements make up the "mortar" of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why does he choose these elements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wooden's father (as well as his father's influence) appears directly and indirectly throughout the course of the book. Write down how Wooden's father influenced Wooden in any three of the following areas:
1. Wooden's philosophy of coaching/teaching.
2. Wooden's pyramid of success.
3. Wooden's relationship with his players.
4. Wooden's relationship with his wife.
5. Wooden's decision to leave UCLA.
Essay Topic 2
Given what you know about Wooden's character, what would he think about the following types of people? (Be as specific as possible, citing places in the text where Wooden discusses these issues.)
1. A basketball player who is naturally talented but doesn't give 100% versus a basketball player who is average but who always gives his/her all.
2. A teacher who demands that all students get "A" grades "or else" versus a teacher who allows students to get away without working at all and just gives them good grades.
3. A parent who is very lenient with his/her child versus a parent who is very strict with his/her child.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the building blocks of Wooden's pyramid and answer these questions about it:
1. Where does the building block fit into Wooden's pyramid?
2. How does Wooden persuade the reader to agree with him about his views regarding this building block?
3. In what way has Wooden shown that he demonstrates this building block?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)