|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wooden has won many championships. What does he say about how that makes him feel?
2. Wooden says that you can have what on the lives of those you instruct?
3. Who does Wooden say once said that he, "Learned something from everyone he met"?
4. How does Wooden feel now that he's no longer coaching at UCLA?
5. Aside from sharing a knowledge of the game, how does Wooden help his team win?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wooden is not what he calls a "dictator style coach." In what ways does he differ from that type of coach?
2. What does Wooden say about coaches that win through violence and anger?
3. What does "being fair" mean to Wooden when it comes to being a leader?
4. How do Wooden's beliefs regarding morality affect the way he's put his pyramid of success together?
5. What elements make up the "mortar" of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why does he choose these elements?
6. Why does Wooden place a high importance on being a coach/teacher in terms of the coach-player relationship?
7. What blocks are at the next-to-the-top location on Wooden's pyramid of success?
8. What are three ways that Wooden makes sure his players are ready for "physiological warfare"?
9. How does Wooden discuss his retirement from coaching during Part 3 of "Wooden"?
10. What does Wooden stress about listening to what people say about you? What example does he give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous "tones" that Wooden uses throughout "Wooden." What tone would you attribute to each of these topics and why?
1. The Special Olympics.
2. The regular Olympics.
3. Joshua Wooden.
4. Nellie Wooden.
6. Abraham Lincoln.
7. The Bible.
8. Literature and poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Abraham Lincoln is referenced several times during "Wooden." When and why does Wooden choose to use Abraham Lincoln to make his points? What are those points?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of parallels that occur in "Wooden." Discuss the parallels between three of the following topics:
1. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with the reader.
2. Wooden's time as a coach and Wooden's time as a father.
3. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with his team members.
4. Wooden's pyramid of success and Wooden's coaching career.
5. Wooden's thoughts about his father and Wooden's thoughts about Abraham Lincoln.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)