|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of coach doesn't Wooden seem to like?
2. Wooden says people shouldn't be afraid to do what?
3. Wooden has won many championships. What does he say about how that makes him feel?
4. Wooden defines "intentness" as what?
5. Sometimes, players who had things going on in their lives wanted Wooden to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
2. Despite the fact that Wooden doesn't like all his players, how does he treat them?
3. What are the two blocks that Wooden uses to introduce his image of a pyramid to his readers?
4. What are the three priorities (in order of importance) Wooden feels every UCLA player should keep in mind?
5. What block is at the top of Wooden's pyramid of success? What does it mean?
6. What are three ways that Wooden makes sure his players are ready for "physiological warfare"?
7. How does Wooden discuss his retirement from coaching during Part 3 of "Wooden"?
8. Aside from the center block on Wooden's pyramid of success, what other blocks are in the middle row?
9. Wooden uses Abraham Lincoln to illustrate which of the four blocks that are at the second level of his pyramid of success? Why?
10. Wooden is not what he calls a "dictator style coach." In what ways does he differ from that type of coach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wooden's father (as well as his father's influence) appears directly and indirectly throughout the course of the book. Write down how Wooden's father influenced Wooden in any three of the following areas:
1. Wooden's philosophy of coaching/teaching.
2. Wooden's pyramid of success.
3. Wooden's relationship with his players.
4. Wooden's relationship with his wife.
5. Wooden's decision to leave UCLA.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of parallels that occur in "Wooden." Discuss the parallels between three of the following topics:
1. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with the reader.
2. Wooden's time as a coach and Wooden's time as a father.
3. Wooden's relationship with his father and Wooden's relationship with his team members.
4. Wooden's pyramid of success and Wooden's coaching career.
5. Wooden's thoughts about his father and Wooden's thoughts about Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 3
Wooden talks about a number of terms throughout the book. Pick any three of the four terms below and explain in detail what they mean:
1. Physiological warfare.
2. Paying the price.
3. Competitive greatness.
4. Dictatorial style.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)