|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wooden says that confidence is something that can only occur after what?
2. Where is "competitive greatness" in Wooden's visual representation of success?
3. What does Wooden try to do with his players' internal prides?
4. When does Wooden say he knew it was time for him to retire?
5. Why does Wooden want his players to have zero creases in their socks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What blocks are at the next-to-the-top location on Wooden's pyramid of success?
2. When it comes to winning championships, what two things does Wooden keep in mind?
3. Why doesn't Wooden believe that a leader should motivate with fear of discipline?
4. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
5. What are three ways that Wooden makes sure his players are ready for "physiological warfare"?
6. What three blocks are located between the first two blocks that Wooden describes when defining his pyramid of success? What do all five blocks make up?
7. Why does Wooden feel that parents shouldn't necessarily be concerned that their children aren't getting high grades?
8. Despite the fact that Wooden doesn't like all his players, how does he treat them?
9. How do Wooden's beliefs regarding morality affect the way he's put his pyramid of success together?
10. How does Wooden end "Wooden"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wooden's father (as well as his father's influence) appears directly and indirectly throughout the course of the book. Write down how Wooden's father influenced Wooden in any three of the following areas:
1. Wooden's philosophy of coaching/teaching.
2. Wooden's pyramid of success.
3. Wooden's relationship with his players.
4. Wooden's relationship with his wife.
5. Wooden's decision to leave UCLA.
Essay Topic 2
Wooden talks about a number of terms throughout the book. Pick any three of the four terms below and explain in detail what they mean:
1. Physiological warfare.
2. Paying the price.
3. Competitive greatness.
4. Dictatorial style.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three places in "Wooden" where John Wooden uses real people to illustrate his points. How does the person's character, experiences, and/or reputation support what Wooden is trying to explain to the reader?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)