|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wooden call being your best when your best is needed?
2. The way Wooden treats his players is similar to the way a man treats his what?
3. Wooden says people shouldn't be afraid to do what?
4. Sometimes, players who had things going on in their lives wanted Wooden to do what?
5. What does Wooden try to do with his players' internal prides?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Wooden's beliefs regarding morality affect the way he's put his pyramid of success together?
2. What are three ways that Wooden shows he cares about his players?
3. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
4. What block is at the center of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why?
5. What are the three priorities (in order of importance) Wooden feels every UCLA player should keep in mind?
6. What does "being fair" mean to Wooden when it comes to being a leader?
7. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
8. How does Wooden discuss his retirement from coaching during Part 3 of "Wooden"?
9. Why doesn't Wooden believe that a leader should motivate with fear of discipline?
10. What are the two blocks that Wooden uses to introduce his image of a pyramid to his readers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the building blocks of Wooden's pyramid and answer these questions about it:
1. Where does the building block fit into Wooden's pyramid?
2. How does Wooden persuade the reader to agree with him about his views regarding this building block?
3. In what way has Wooden shown that he demonstrates this building block?
Essay Topic 2
Wooden doesn't come out and directly state everything; instead, he allows the reader to make some inferences. What can the reader infer about the following topics based on what's written throughout "Wooden"? Be specific in your answer.
1. Wooden's relationship with his children.
2. Wooden's relationship with Kareem Abdul-Jabar.
3. Wooden's personal library.
4. Wooden's method of writing "Wooden."
Essay Topic 3
Abraham Lincoln is referenced several times during "Wooden." When and why does Wooden choose to use Abraham Lincoln to make his points? What are those points?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)