|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the source of Wooden's beliefs on his theories about students getting average grades?
2. What does Wooden say about "enthusiasm"?
3. What does Wooden say about his players' lives and problems?
4. Three constants throughout Wooden's life are his love for his wife, his respect/love for his father, and what?
5. The three blocks placed between the first two in Wooden's diagram are: friendship, loyalty, and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wooden discuss his retirement from coaching during Part 3 of "Wooden"?
2. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
3. What does "being fair" mean to Wooden when it comes to being a leader?
4. Why does Wooden place a high importance on being a coach/teacher in terms of the coach-player relationship?
5. What block is at the top of Wooden's pyramid of success? What does it mean?
6. Aside from the center block on Wooden's pyramid of success, what other blocks are in the middle row?
7. What elements make up the "mortar" of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why does he choose these elements?
8. Where does winning come into place in Wooden's pyramid of success?
9. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
10. Why doesn't Wooden believe that a leader should motivate with fear of discipline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The notion of "family" is a theme that runs through "Wooden." Choose any three of the relationships below and talk about how Wooden describes the relationship to the reader in a familial manner. Do not use the same familial relationship for all three answers.
1. The relationship between coaches and players.
2. The relationship between Wooden and UCLA.
3. The relationship between Wooden and the reader.
4. The relationship between players on a team.
5. The relationship between a teacher and his/her students.
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous "tones" that Wooden uses throughout "Wooden." What tone would you attribute to each of these topics and why?
1. The Special Olympics.
2. The regular Olympics.
3. Joshua Wooden.
4. Nellie Wooden.
6. Abraham Lincoln.
7. The Bible.
8. Literature and poetry.
Essay Topic 3
"Wooden" is autobiographical as well as instructive. Explain three places in "Wooden" that are autobiographical in nature, then explain three places in "Wooden" that are instructive (i.e., that impart information to the reader).
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)