|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wooden say about players who believe they will win or lose based on what people say about them?
2. How does Wooden handle his players when they've done something well or correctly?
3. Wooden feels that no matter what you're aiming to do, every person must be what?
4. What is one element of Wooden's definition of success?
5. How does Wooden feel about the spirit of the game of basketball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements make up the "mortar" of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why does he choose these elements?
2. How does Wooden describe his tactical knowledge when it comes to basketball?
3. Wooden uses Abraham Lincoln to illustrate which of the four blocks that are at the second level of his pyramid of success? Why?
4. Despite the fact that Wooden doesn't like all his players, how does he treat them?
5. How do Wooden's beliefs regarding morality affect the way he's put his pyramid of success together?
6. What does Wooden say about coaches that win through violence and anger?
7. What block is at the center of Wooden's pyramid of success? Why?
8. What are the three priorities (in order of importance) Wooden feels every UCLA player should keep in mind?
9. What three blocks are located between the first two blocks that Wooden describes when defining his pyramid of success? What do all five blocks make up?
10. What are the two blocks that Wooden uses to introduce his image of a pyramid to his readers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall theme of the book "Wooden"? (In other words, what theme is the thread that holds the whole piece together?)
Essay Topic 2
If we consider Wooden's pyramid of success to be the climax of his book, what would three "rising action" elements (those parts of the book leading up to the climax) be?
Essay Topic 3
There are numerous "tones" that Wooden uses throughout "Wooden." What tone would you attribute to each of these topics and why?
1. The Special Olympics.
2. The regular Olympics.
3. Joshua Wooden.
4. Nellie Wooden.
6. Abraham Lincoln.
7. The Bible.
8. Literature and poetry.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)