|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wooden has several brothers. What profession do they all choose?
2. Wooden says his parents worked without what?
3. Wooden states that many of his players were never given what?
4. What types of things would Wooden never do?
5. Wooden makes a connection between getting a gold medal (i.e., in the Olympics) and getting what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wooden think working toward a goal should be a first concern for someone who wants to be successful?
2. How does Wooden compare the Special Olympics to the regular Olympics?
3. Why does Wooden run his basketball team like he runs his household?
4. How does Wooden use poetry throughout "Wooden"?
5. How does Wooden use poetry in Part 2 of "Wooden" to show he loves his father?
6. What does Wooden think happens to a person who becomes "infected" by success?
7. How does Wooden describe his parents?
8. Describe how Wooden feels about the concept of "role models"?
9. Why does Wooden disagree with the Webster's dictionary term for success?
10. Why doesn't Wooden become a basketball player himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poetry is used throughout "Wooden." Explore the ways in which poetry assists the reader in any two of the following areas:
1. Understanding Wooden's father.
2. Understanding Wooden's relationship with his wife, Nellie.
3. Understanding Wooden's coaching/teaching principles.
4. Understanding the way Wooden raises his family.
5. Understanding Wooden's pyramid of success.
Essay Topic 2
Wooden doesn't come out and directly state everything; instead, he allows the reader to make some inferences. What can the reader infer about the following topics based on what's written throughout "Wooden"? Be specific in your answer.
1. Wooden's relationship with his children.
2. Wooden's relationship with Kareem Abdul-Jabar.
3. Wooden's personal library.
4. Wooden's method of writing "Wooden."
Essay Topic 3
Given what you know about Wooden's character, what would he think about the following types of people? (Be as specific as possible, citing places in the text where Wooden discusses these issues.)
1. A basketball player who is naturally talented but doesn't give 100% versus a basketball player who is average but who always gives his/her all.
2. A teacher who demands that all students get "A" grades "or else" versus a teacher who allows students to get away without working at all and just gives them good grades.
3. A parent who is very lenient with his/her child versus a parent who is very strict with his/her child.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)