|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wooden quote throughout "Wooden"?
2. Wooden states that when people get too caught up in believing they will "always" win, they stop doing what?
3. What year was Wooden born?
4. What Webster's dictionary word definition does Wooden disagree with?
5. Wooden feels the goal to reach perfection is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wooden believes that the media has made winning different. Why?
2. Why does Wooden think working toward a goal should be a first concern for someone who wants to be successful?
3. Why does Wooden run his basketball team like he runs his household?
4. How does Wooden use poetry throughout "Wooden"?
5. Describe John and Nellie Wooden's marriage.
6. What is the basic focus of the beginning of the book "Wooden"?
7. How does Wooden use poetry in Part 2 of "Wooden" to show he loves his father?
8. How does Wooden approach each day?
9. What is Wooden's caution when it comes to finding your "bliss"?
10. What does Wooden think will happen if a person's goals are impossible to attain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If we consider Wooden's pyramid of success to be the climax of his book, what would three "rising action" elements (those parts of the book leading up to the climax) be?
Essay Topic 2
Wooden describes his pyramid of success using the power of imagery and allusion. How else is imagery and allusion used in another place in "Wooden"? (Example: The image/allusion of the basketball team as a family.)
Essay Topic 3
Wooden talks about a number of terms throughout the book. Pick any three of the four terms below and explain in detail what they mean:
1. Physiological warfare.
2. Paying the price.
3. Competitive greatness.
4. Dictatorial style.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)