|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of character does Wooden suggest people should always have?
2. Where does Wooden feel personal glory comes into play when it comes to being on a team?
3. Wooden thinks that people should follow their what?
4. Wooden seems to have a lot of respect for whom?
5. What does Wooden say about the Olympics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wooden believe can happen if a person focuses too much on success?
2. Why does Wooden think working toward a goal should be a first concern for someone who wants to be successful?
3. What is the basic focus of the beginning of the book "Wooden"?
4. Wooden believes that the media has made winning different. Why?
5. What does Wooden think happens to a person who becomes "infected" by success?
6. How does Wooden feel about athletes taking money for endorsements?
7. Why does Wooden believe you shouldn't compare yourself to someone else?
8. Wooden's primary love is not basketball. What is it?
9. How does Wooden use poetry in Part 2 of "Wooden" to show he loves his father?
10. Why does Wooden run his basketball team like he runs his household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall theme of the book "Wooden"? (In other words, what theme is the thread that holds the whole piece together?)
Essay Topic 2
Abraham Lincoln is referenced several times during "Wooden." When and why does Wooden choose to use Abraham Lincoln to make his points? What are those points?
Essay Topic 3
Wooden describes his pyramid of success using the power of imagery and allusion. How else is imagery and allusion used in another place in "Wooden"? (Example: The image/allusion of the basketball team as a family.)
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)