|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wooden feel about "pressure" when it comes to coaching a team?
2. For Wooden, the final score is not as important as ...
3. What kind of haircut does Wooden make his UCLA players wear?
4. Wooden suggests that people shouldn't work twice as hard tomorrow to make up for what?
5. What does Wooden quote throughout "Wooden"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wooden describe his parents?
2. Why doesn't Wooden become a basketball player himself?
3. What does Wooden think will happen if a person's goals are impossible to attain?
4. For Wooden, "success" isn't defined by money or fame. How is it described?
5. Why does Wooden want his players to want to please him rather than wanting them to be afraid of disappointing him?
6. How does Wooden use poetry throughout "Wooden"?
7. Why does Wooden think working toward a goal should be a first concern for someone who wants to be successful?
8. Why do Wooden's brothers all become teachers?
9. How does Wooden approach each day?
10. What is the basic focus of the beginning of the book "Wooden"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three places in "Wooden" where John Wooden uses real people to illustrate his points. How does the person's character, experiences, and/or reputation support what Wooden is trying to explain to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How does Wooden ensure that all the players he coaches are ready to be successful in the following areas:
3. As a team.
Essay Topic 3
Wooden talks about a number of terms throughout the book. Pick any three of the four terms below and explain in detail what they mean:
1. Physiological warfare.
2. Paying the price.
3. Competitive greatness.
4. Dictatorial style.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)