Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wooden feels that people can never reach what state?
2. What does Wooden think of people trying to achieve goals that will or could harm themselves?
3. Wooden states that many of his players were never given what?
4. Wooden thinks that accepting money for endorsements could potentially be what?
5. Wooden says what about the thought of himself dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wooden use poetry in Part 2 of "Wooden" to show he loves his father?
2. Why does Wooden think working toward a goal should be a first concern for someone who wants to be successful?
3. Aside from the center block on Wooden's pyramid of success, what other blocks are in the middle row?
4. What blocks are at the next-to-the-top location on Wooden's pyramid of success?
5. Why does Wooden want his players to want to please him rather than wanting them to be afraid of disappointing him?
6. What are the four blocks that are at the second level of Wooden's pyramid of success?
7. How does Wooden feel about the players who didn't become famous as opposed to the ones who did become famous?
8. Why does Wooden make his team members have the same hair cut and uniform?
9. How does Wooden's father's "teaching" personality carry over into his sons?
10. Why does Wooden disagree with the Webster's dictionary term for success?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, Wooden flashes back to his childhood and early years. What purpose does this type of flashback serve in terms of the rest of his book (e.g. how it supports his pyramid of success, how it sets the stage for his coaching techniques, etc.)?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the building blocks of Wooden's pyramid and answer these questions about it:
1. Where does the building block fit into Wooden's pyramid?
2. How does Wooden persuade the reader to agree with him about his views regarding this building block?
3. In what way has Wooden shown that he demonstrates this building block?
Essay Topic 3
Wooden talks about a number of terms throughout the book. Pick any three of the four terms below and explain in detail what they mean:
1. Physiological warfare.
2. Paying the price.
3. Competitive greatness.
4. Dictatorial style.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)