|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has Wooden been married?
2. Wooden describes his marriage how?
3. What does Wooden believe gives you a greater sense of achievement once it's been faced?
4. Wooden believes every person who wants to succeed must be willing to pay what?
5. Wooden believes that if people try to be the best they can be, they will achieve what?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Wooden, "success" isn't defined by money or fame. How is it described?
2. Why does Wooden make his team members have the same hair cut and uniform?
3. Describe how Wooden feels about the concept of "role models"?
4. How does Wooden's father's "teaching" personality carry over into his sons?
5. Why doesn't Wooden become a basketball player himself?
6. Describe John and Nellie Wooden's marriage.
7. What does Wooden think will happen if a person's goals are impossible to attain?
8. What special bond does Wooden share with his father?
9. How does Wooden use poetry in Part 2 of "Wooden" to show he loves his father?
10. Why does Wooden think working toward a goal should be a first concern for someone who wants to be successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Wooden" is autobiographical as well as instructive. Explain three places in "Wooden" that are autobiographical in nature, then explain three places in "Wooden" that are instructive (i.e., that impart information to the reader).
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the building blocks of Wooden's pyramid and answer these questions about it:
1. Where does the building block fit into Wooden's pyramid?
2. How does Wooden persuade the reader to agree with him about his views regarding this building block?
3. In what way has Wooden shown that he demonstrates this building block?
Essay Topic 3
How does Wooden ensure that all the players he coaches are ready to be successful in the following areas:
3. As a team.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)