|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wooden's talk about an American president suggests that Wooden has studied what subject?
2. Which people in Wooden's life influence his decisions?
3. What Webster's dictionary word definition does Wooden disagree with?
4. Wooden says you can't do what like someone else?
5. How long were John and Nellie Wooden married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wooden believe can happen if a person focuses too much on success?
2. Why does Wooden disagree with the Webster's dictionary term for success?
3. Why does Wooden believe you shouldn't compare yourself to someone else?
4. Why does Wooden call himself a "realistic optimist"?
5. What is Wooden's caution when it comes to finding your "bliss"?
6. Why does Wooden run his basketball team like he runs his household?
7. Describe John and Nellie Wooden's marriage.
8. Why doesn't Wooden become a basketball player himself?
9. How does Wooden feel about athletes taking money for endorsements?
10. For Wooden, personal glory comes second to what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wooden doesn't come out and directly state everything; instead, he allows the reader to make some inferences. What can the reader infer about the following topics based on what's written throughout "Wooden"? Be specific in your answer.
1. Wooden's relationship with his children.
2. Wooden's relationship with Kareem Abdul-Jabar.
3. Wooden's personal library.
4. Wooden's method of writing "Wooden."
Essay Topic 2
Choose three places in "Wooden" where John Wooden uses real people to illustrate his points. How does the person's character, experiences, and/or reputation support what Wooden is trying to explain to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does Wooden ensure that all the players he coaches are ready to be successful in the following areas:
3. As a team.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)