|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, A Background for the Burgess Shale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Burgess Shale?
(b) Mt. Everest.
(c) The Appalachian Mountains.
(d) The Canadian Rockies.
2. What association does Gould make with progress and evolution?
(a) Evolution doesn't always involve progress.
(b) Evolution is scattered progress.
(c) Evolution always involves progress.
(d) Evolution is progress.
3. Who newly interpreted the Burgess animals in 1971?
(a) Dr. John Whit and his colleagues.
(b) Professor Matt Stephens and his wife.
(c) Professor Harry Whittington of Cambridge and his colleagues.
(d) Dr. Whittington of Yale and her husband.
4. The Burgess fauna follow the beginning of what era?
(a) Maleozoic Era.
(b) Paleozoic Era.
(c) Pezozoic Era.
(d) Mesozoic Era.
5. What kind of drama does Gould wish to recount that led to rejecting Walcott's interpretation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of development were the Burgess animals first interpreted to have?
2. When does the old story have Walcott miraculously stumble upon the Burgess Shale?
3. What does the Precambrian Era contain?
4. What comprises the first 4 billion years of Earth's history?
5. What did Walcott do for science by collecting and cataloging tens of thousands of new species?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)