|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another literary element that the author uses throughout the book?
2. To what city does Mattie travel?
3. The thought of _________________ convinces Mattie to go with Butch.
4. "Maybe it just _____________ like a heavy load."
5. What does the author want the reader to understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the topic of the Opening Poem.
2. Compare and contrast Mattie and Basil.
3. How does the author use Ciel's life to show the theme of babies as hope for a new generation?
4. Who is the first black man to move into Brewster Place?
5. Describe the third generation of people to move into Brewster Place.
6. How does the author use the literary technique of a flashback in Chapter 2, Part 1?
7. In what ways does Miss Eva help Mattie develop her character and maturity?
8. On what grounds do Ben and Lorraine form an unlikely friendship?
9. Who is the author of this book?
10. How does Cora Lee differ in her view of the necessity of having a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of song lyrics throughout the book. Cite at least five, noting the titles, artists and the pertinent meaning for the story line.
Essay Topic 2
The author makes the following three points several times in the book related to what makes up a life: 1. What we have known; 2. The choices we have made; and 3. Whether or not we are capable of unconditional love. In your opinion, who best embodies these elements? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mattie. What is her physical appearance. What emotional traits does she have? Why does she become the matriarch for the women of Brewster Place?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)