|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Basil want from Mattie?
2. The new tenants "clung to the _______________ with a desperate acceptance."
3. What is one of the literary elements that the author uses throughout the book?
4. What did Basil do to the police officer?
5. Mattie's father's love for her was _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the metaphor that the author uses to describe Butch.
2. How does Basil symbolize most of the men encountered by the women of Brewster Place?
3. How does Mattie become the voice of what is right and fair when the other women are antagonistic toward Theresa and Lorraine?
4. Describe Cora Lee's obsession with babies.
5. What is the sadness of Mattie's life as far as Basil, the man, is concerned?
6. What is Mattie's father's role in her life?
7. How does Mattie show more maturity even though she is younger than Etta?
8. What can the tenants tell from Ben's singing?
9. In what ways does Miss Eva help Mattie develop her character and maturity?
10. What is Cora Lee's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony in the friendship between Ben and Lorraine. Why is his death at her hand especially tragic and ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mattie. What is her physical appearance. What emotional traits does she have? Why does she become the matriarch for the women of Brewster Place?
Essay Topic 3
The author writes that Kiswana puts her dreams on the back of a pigeon flying by her window. Create three other metaphors for Kiswana's flights of fancy and imaginative thoughts.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)