|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact does Mattie refuse to accept?
2. "Or does it _____________?"
3. What serious illness did Mattie have when she was little?
4. Miss Eva says men just do not agree with her like _______________.
5. Where does Mattie's friend move for some excitement in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Butch's behavior with women foreshadows the lives of all the women to come in the story.
2. How do the women of Brewster Place view Etta?
3. How does Cora Lee differ in her view of the necessity of having a man?
4. Who is the first black man to move into Brewster Place?
5. Explain Mattie's perspective on Basil's life and her responsibility for him.
6. Explain how Kiswana's mother tries to show Kiswana what it means to be a strong black woman.
7. What is Cora Lee's background?
8. What theme of the book does Mattie embody?
9. Who is Butch and why is Mattie so attracted to him?
10. How does Basil symbolize most of the men encountered by the women of Brewster Place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of Miss Eva in Mattie's life. How does she help Mattie both short and long term? How does she instinctively show Mattie how to be a loving support later in her life too?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mattie and Etta. How are they different? How are they similar? What does each bring to the relationship that allows it to continue for so many years?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mattie unwittingly create in Basil the type of man who will hurt women including herself? Do you think she knows what she did wrong? Do you think she would change anything about raising Basil if she could do it all over again?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)