|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mattie go to visit a week later?
2. Where does Basil live at the end of the chapter?
3. What does Mattie carry as she and Butch walk to the field?
4. Who is the author of this book?
5. In what state did Mattie grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Etta Mae Johnson?
2. Describe the metaphor that the author uses to describe Butch.
3. How has Mattie evolved to become the wise, loving matriarch of Brewster Place?
4. Explain Mattie's pain at the realization of Basil's cruelty toward her.
5. Describe the third generation of people to move into Brewster Place.
6. What is Mattie's legacy to generations of women who will come after her?
7. Describe the topic of the Opening Poem.
8. Ciel has so much love to give but she places it in the hands of the wrong man. Explain Ciel's unfortunate choices while looking for love.
9. In what ways does Miss Eva help Mattie develop her character and maturity?
10. The theme of baptism is an important one in the book. Explain why the rain that starts on the day of Ben's funeral is so significant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mattie and Etta. How are they different? How are they similar? What does each bring to the relationship that allows it to continue for so many years?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony in the friendship between Ben and Lorraine. Why is his death at her hand especially tragic and ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ben. Why is he important to the story? Why does his appearance in Chapter 1 foreshadow the other men to come in the story?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)