|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people of Brewster Place could be called a _________________.
(c) accident waiting to happen
2. What separates Brewster Place from a new business district?
(a) A wall
(b) A high fence
(c) A one-way street
3. Where does Mattie's friend move for some excitement in her life?
(c) Las Vegas
(d) Los Angeles
4. What is the nationality of people now moving into the neighborhood?
5. "Or crust over like ____________________?"
(a) syrupy sweet
(b) maple syrup
(c) caramel candy
(d) maple candy
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Mattie grow up?
2. What does Mattie's father consider her to be?
3. Brewster Place was especially fond of its ________________________.
4. Who does Mattie's father blame for her pregnancy?
5. What does Mattie do for Basil this evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cora Lee differ in her view of the necessity of having a man?
2. Explain how Butch's behavior with women foreshadows the lives of all the women to come in the story.
3. Explain how Kiswana's mother tries to show Kiswana what it means to be a strong black woman.
4. Who is Etta Mae Johnson?
5. How does the author use Ciel's life to show the theme of babies as hope for a new generation?
6. What literary elements does the author use throughout the book?
7. What is Miss Eva's role in Mattie's life?
8. How does the author use the literary technique of a flashback in Chapter 2, Part 1?
9. How does Mattie show more maturity even though she is younger than Etta?
10. Explain Mattie's pain at the realization of Basil's cruelty toward her.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)