|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mattie carry as she and Butch walk to the field?
2. Of what does a cooking odor remind Mattie?
(c) Sugar cane
(d) BBQ ribs
3. Mattie is so angry she wants to ______________________.
(a) slap the old woman senseless
(b) spit in the old woman's freakish blue eyes
(c) shoot the old woman
(d) smother the old woman in her sleep
4. What does the attorney advise Mattie regarding Basil's bail?
(a) Don't pay it
(b) Negotiate the amount
(c) Pay it immediately
(d) Make Basil pay it
5. What song does Ben sing when he is drinking?
(a) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"
(b) "Who Let the Dogs Out"
(c) "She's a Brick House"
(d) "We Are Family"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ben's occupation?
2. How old is Basil as the chapter ends?
3. What is the demographic of the area where Brewster Place is located?
4. Which of the following distinctive characteristics did this new group not have?
5. What does Basil tell Mattie during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the personality characteristics of Brewster Place?
2. How does the author choose to open the book?
3. Who is Butch and why is Mattie so attracted to him?
4. According to the author, what happens when a street dies?
5. What is Mattie's father's role in her life?
6. What is the ultimate moral of this story?
7. What are the possibilities for a dream deferred as asked in Langston Hughes' poem?
8. What is Brewster Place?
9. Compare and contrast Mattie and Basil.
10. Describe the third generation of people to move into Brewster Place.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)