|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The people of Brewster Place could be called a _________________.
(a) accident waiting to happen
2. "What happens to a dream ___________?"
(b) that dies
3. Who does Mattie go to visit a week later?
(a) Butch's cousin, Emma
(b) The church deacon
(c) Her grandmother
(d) Her friend, Etta
4. What serious illness did Mattie have when she was little?
(b) Scarlet Fever
(d) Swine Flu
5. What does Mattie tell her father about the father of her unborn child?
(a) It is not Butch's baby
(b) It is not Marlon's baby
(c) It is not Eddie's baby
(d) It is not Fred's baby
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the literary elements that the author uses throughout the book?
2. What has Mattie brought with her from her last house?
3. What kind of company employs Mattie?
4. What does Mattie name her newborn son?
5. What bites Basil's cheek one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ultimate moral of this story?
2. What is the sadness of Mattie's life as far as Basil, the man, is concerned?
3. Explain how Kiswana's mother tries to show Kiswana what it means to be a strong black woman.
4. What is the fate of Cora Lee's babies as they begin to grow up?
5. What are the possibilities for a dream deferred as asked in Langston Hughes' poem?
6. How does the theme of learning to be happy with what you have exhibit in Kiswana's life?
7. How is Mattie's character just like her father as she grows up?
8. Explain Kiswana's situation and how it contrasts with her family background.
9. How does Cora Lee differ in her view of the necessity of having a man?
10. What literary elements does the author use throughout the book?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)