|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Basil tell Mattie during this time?
(a) He cannot face going to jail
(b) He has a terminal illness
(c) She is the best mother on the planet
(d) That man deserved to die
2. Why does Mattie move into Brewster Place?
(a) She needs assisted living
(b) She lost her home to a bail bondsman
(c) She wants a smaller place
(d) She needs to be around people
3. What is the demographic of the area where Brewster Place is located?
(a) All white
(b) All Hispanic
(c) All black
(d) Segregated, multi-racial
4. Who does Mattie go to visit a week later?
(a) Butch's cousin, Emma
(b) Her friend, Etta
(c) The church deacon
(d) Her grandmother
5. Who is the author of this book?
(a) Oprah Winfrey
(b) Gloria Naylor
(c) Halle Berry
(d) Harper Lee
6. What did Mattie's father do when she was sick?
(a) Took her to the emergency room
(b) Made herbal tea for her
(c) Took her to the clinic
(d) Sat with her for 24 hours a day for a week
7. What has Miss Eva still not told Mattie after five years?
(a) What her real name is
(b) What the rent is
(c) How many children she has
(d) Why she murdered her second husband
8. About what does Mattie secretly wonder?
(a) Evolution vs. Creation
(b) What happened to Butch
(c) Why she does not miss a man in her bed
(d) Miss Eva's husbands
9. How does Mattie's mother stop Mattie's father's rage?
(a) She fires a shotgun blast
(b) She calls the police
(c) She whacks him with a board
(d) She hits him with a frying pan
10. What does Mattie discover when she returns from work?
(a) Basil is gone
(b) Basil is asleep
(c) Basil has cleaned the house
(d) Basil has supper ready
11. "Does it stink like _________________?"
(a) a garbage pail
(b) rotten meat
(c) old shoes
(d) a locker room
12. The people of Brewster Place could be called a _________________.
(d) accident waiting to happen
13. From where did many of these new tenants migrate?
(c) The South
14. What is another literary element that the author uses throughout the book?
(a) Church hymns
(b) Nursery rhymes
(c) Song lyrics
(d) TV jingles
15. Basil tells Mattie that he would make a good ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Basil when he calls Mattie in the middle of the night as Chapter 2, Part 5 begins?
2. What did Basil do to the police officer?
3. Mattie is so angry she wants to ______________________.
4. Who does Mattie's father believe is the father of Mattie's unborn child?
5. What does the attorney advise Mattie regarding Basil's bail?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)