|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Basil live at the end of the chapter?
(a) In an apartment complex
(b) In Mattie's house
(c) In a condo
(d) In a dorm
2. The author challenges the reader to think in terms of ________________ when encountering the women's stories.
(a) false expectations
(b) human foibles
(c) dreams unrealized
(d) high moral standards
3. Basil tells Mattie that he would make a good ____________.
4. How does Mattie's mother stop Mattie's father's rage?
(a) She whacks him with a board
(b) She hits him with a frying pan
(c) She calls the police
(d) She fires a shotgun blast
5. Where does Basil spend the next two weeks?
(a) At a halfway house
(b) In a drug treatment center
(c) Helping Mattie at her house
(d) In jail
6. How old is Basil as the chapter ends?
7. What song does Ben sing when he is drinking?
(a) "Who Let the Dogs Out"
(b) "She's a Brick House"
(c) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"
(d) "We Are Family"
8. What did Basil do to the police officer?
(a) Shot him
(b) Punched him in the gut
(c) Kicked him
(d) Broke his wrist
9. The new tenants "clung to the _______________ with a desperate acceptance."
10. What is Ben's occupation?
(b) Maintenance man
11. Who invites Mattie and Basil to live in her home?
(a) Mattie's grandmother
(b) Miss Eva
(c) Mattie's sister
(d) Etta's mother
12. What does Mattie notice about her apartment?
(a) It is painted a horrible color
(b) It is much too small
(c) It needs new windows
(d) It will not get much sun
13. What does Mattie's father want the answer to #55 to do?
(a) Repent for his sins
(b) Marry Mattie
(c) Move into their house
(d) Pay for an abortion
14. To what city does Mattie travel?
(a) Asheville, North Carolina
(b) Beaufort, South Carolina
(c) Clayton, Georgia
(d) Eastman, Georgia
15. Why is Mattie angry at Miss Eva?
(a) For charging her too much rent
(b) For reading her mail
(c) For making her feel ashamed of loving her son so much
(d) For disciplining Basil
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact does Mattie refuse to accept?
2. What is the subject of the Opening Poem?
3. Why does the author use these literary elements?
4. "Or does it _____________?"
5. Why does Mattie move into Brewster Place?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)