• The book opens with a poem by Langston Hughes.
• The poem addresses the alternate possibilities that can happen when a dream is deferred.
• Brewster Place is a series of tenement apartments walled off from the growth and opportunity of the city.
• The first generations of people to live in Brewster Place were Irish and Mediterranean.
• Ben, the maintenance man, is the first black to live at Brewster Place.
• Ben has a woeful past and drowns his sorrows in cheap wine.
• Eventually the Mediterraneans moved away and the black people move in.
Chapter 2, Part 1
• Mattie Michael is moving into Brewster Place and carries her memories of her Tennessee life--her father, her son, and the father of her child.
• The story flashes back to Mattie's girlhood when she is seduced by a charming boy named Butch.
• Butch seduces Mattie in a sugar cane field and lets her...
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)