|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pei seated at Lin's brother's wedding banquet?
2. How does Yu-sung feel after Pei and Lin have said good-bye and leave?
3. What does Mui call Lin?
4. What does the large shipment mean for the silk factory after New Year's in Chapter 16?
5. What is the weather when Ji Shen appears at the girls' house one evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Moi keeping everyone away from Auntie Yee's bedroom?
2. Is Yu-sung happy to see Pei?
3. What is Pei's reaction to Lin's family home?
4. What condition is Ji Shen in when she arrives at the girls' house?
5. What is the state of affairs at the factory after New Year's?
6. What does Lin do when the fire starts in the factory?
7. What is Chung's reaction when the factory girls go on strike?
8. How does Pei feel when she sees her village again?
9. Are the working conditions deteriorating at the factory in Chapter 11?
10. How do the girls finally discover that Auntie Yee is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in Chinese society during this time period. How do the silk women veer from the traditional path for women in this society? What reaction do they get from society in general? Do you see the sisterhood as a positive choice for females? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lin's relationship with her mother, Wong Tai. How has her mother shirked her responsibilities? How did Lin take on the responsibility of supporting her family? Why is she now unwilling to do as her mother wishes?
Essay Topic 3
How are rituals used in this novel as part of ceremonies? Do they help you understand the Chinese culture of this time period? How so?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)