|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chung throw down in anger after talking to the women in the factory in Chapter 17?
2. What expression does Moi have on her face after Pei and Lin speak to her and she is back in the kitchen in Chapter 16?
3. How long did it take for Pao's fish ponds to restore themselves after Pei went to work for the silk factory?
4. What did Chung come to the factory to tell the women in Chapter 17?
5. When Pao comes into the house for dinner in Chapter 13, what does he check for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yu-sung's physical state?
2. What does Lin do when the fire starts in the factory?
3. How does Pei feel when she sees her village again?
4. What is Pei's reaction to Lin's family home?
5. What is Lin's homecoming like?
6. What does Pei learn about her sister Li that makes her angry?
7. What does Pei dream about her mother after she has died?
8. Is Yu-sung happy to see Pei?
9. Why is Moi keeping everyone away from Auntie Yee's bedroom?
10. What is Chung's reaction when the factory girls go on strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the hairdressing ceremony and its meaning to the silk sisterhood. Why does Lin tell Pei she is not ready to make the decision to participate in this ceremony? When does Pei know for certain that it is the right path for her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pei and Lin's relationship. What role(s) does Lin fill in Pei's life when she first arrives at the girls' house? How does their relationship deepen as they grow older?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lin's brother, Ho Yung, plays an important role in Pei's life. What influence does he have on her and Ji Shen's safety? How is he instrumental in providing them with the opportunity to begin a new life in Hong Kong?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)