|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pei see from the window of Lin's bedroom in Canton as she looks out into the garden?
2. When Pao sees Pei walking toward the pond when she returns home, how does he describe his daughter's appearance?
3. What is Moi saving up in jars in Chapter 16?
4. What factory girl is killed during the strike?
5. What does Mui call Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lin do when the fire starts in the factory?
2. How does Pei feel when she sees her village again?
3. What is the state of affairs at the factory after New Year's?
4. Is Yu-sung happy to see Pei?
5. What is Yu-sung's physical state?
6. What is Chung's reaction when the factory girls go on strike?
7. Are the working conditions deteriorating at the factory in Chapter 11?
8. How does Ji Shen react when Pei asks her if she wants to go to Hong Kong?
9. What is Pei's reaction to Lin's family home?
10. Does Sui Ying seem to be uneasy about protesting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of death in this novel and specifically the deaths of Mei-li, Sui Ying, and Lin. In what way does each girl's death reveal a truth about the society in which they lived?
Essay Topic 2
How are rituals used in this novel as part of ceremonies? Do they help you understand the Chinese culture of this time period? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Auntie Yee's character. What does she represent to the young silk workers? Do you think she understands them better because she has gone through a similar experience? How so?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)