|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stench does Pei find almost unbearable while at Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
2. What was in the letter that Pei received from her village?
3. What does Pao say months of fear about losing Yu-sung has done to him?
4. What is Wing Lee's?
5. How does Yu-sung feel after Pei and Lin have said good-bye and leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pao's physical appearance.
2. What is the Ghost Feast?
3. Why does Wong Tai seat Pei at a table with foreigners during Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
4. What is Pei's reaction to Lin's family home?
5. How does Ji Shen react when Pei asks her if she wants to go to Hong Kong?
6. What is Yu-sung's physical state?
7. What does Pei see Wong Tai doing in the garden the morning after the wedding banquet?
8. What is Chung's reaction when the factory girls go on strike?
9. How do the girls finally discover that Auntie Yee is sick?
10. Are the working conditions deteriorating at the factory in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pao come to the decision to send his daughter Pei to the silk factory? What does the fortune-teller say that convinces him to make this decision? How does he feel later about this decision?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of death in this novel and specifically the deaths of Mei-li, Sui Ying, and Lin. In what way does each girl's death reveal a truth about the society in which they lived?
Essay Topic 3
How are rituals used in this novel as part of ceremonies? Do they help you understand the Chinese culture of this time period? How so?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)