|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yu-sung discover about Li when she returned for her third day visit after her marriage?
2. When Chen Ling is summoned to Auntie Yee's beside, how has her illness progressed?
3. What does Mui call Lin?
4. How long did it take for Pao's fish ponds to restore themselves after Pei went to work for the silk factory?
5. Who does Pei see from the window of Lin's bedroom in Canton as she looks out into the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls finally discover that Auntie Yee is sick?
2. Why does Wong Tai seat Pei at a table with foreigners during Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
3. How does Chen Ling inspire the workers to strike?
4. Are the working conditions deteriorating at the factory in Chapter 11?
5. What is Lin's homecoming like?
6. Does Sui Ying seem to be uneasy about protesting?
7. Is Yu-sung happy to see Pei?
8. How does Pei feel when she sees her village again?
9. Describe Pao's physical appearance.
10. What condition is Ji Shen in when she arrives at the girls' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Pei's resilience as she becomes accustomed to living in the girls' house. What is her reaction when she learns she has been abandoned? How does she cope with her new life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Pei and Ji Shen's decision to move to Hong Kong. What is Ji-Shen worried about? What do they hope to find in Hong Kong? When they see Hong Kong, why does Pei feel Lin's presence beside her?
Essay Topic 3
How did Moi come to live in the girls' house? What is her role there? How does she show her respect and admiration for Auntie Yee?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)