|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lin's mother send to her in Chapter 8?
2. What is one object that Pei collects for herself in Chapter 7?
3. What ceremony does Lin want Pei to attend with her in Canton?
4. What color uniforms do the Chinese soldiers wear at the docks in Canton?
5. Where did Lin go before the hairdressing ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the city of Yung Kee.
2. What was Kung Ma's marriage like?
3. Describe the hairdressing ceremony.
4. What success does Pei have as a silk girl?
5. What is the only beautiful object in Pei's childhood home?
6. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
7. What does Mei-li share with Pei after she comes home late one night?
8. What is Pei's reaction to the silk factory?
9. How does Pei know it is the right decision for her to join the sisterhood with Lin?
10. How does Pei feel she is treated differently after her hairdressing ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pao come to the decision to send his daughter Pei to the silk factory? What does the fortune-teller say that convinces him to make this decision? How does he feel later about this decision?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in Chinese society during this time period. How do the silk women veer from the traditional path for women in this society? What reaction do they get from society in general? Do you see the sisterhood as a positive choice for females? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did Moi come to live in the girls' house? What is her role there? How does she show her respect and admiration for Auntie Yee?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)