|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pei's favorite place at the sisters' house?
2. What did Yu-sung's arranged marriage lack?
3. What room did Pei begin in when she first started working at the silk factory?
4. What color armbands did the silk girls wear the day of Mei-li's burial?
5. How many decks does the boat have that takes Pei and Lin to Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pao decide to send Pei to work in the silk trade?
2. What does Pei think about the sampans crossing the river as she rests with her father on the riverbank?
3. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
4. What is Pei's first impression of the sisters' house where she and Lin go to live?
5. Does Chen Ling have a following of girls at the boarding house?
6. What does Auntie Yee remember about Chan?
7. Who is Sui Ying?
8. Describe Lin's mother.
9. What story does Lin tell Pei about her family?
10. What are the working conditions at the silk factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are rituals used in this novel as part of ceremonies? Do they help you understand the Chinese culture of this time period? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the setting of the sisters' house on Pei's life. How does she feel different when she moves into this house? What does she like about it? How does it give her the comfort and security she is seeking?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pei and Lin's relationship. What role(s) does Lin fill in Pei's life when she first arrives at the girls' house? How does their relationship deepen as they grow older?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)