|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Auntie Yee when she was given to the silk work?
2. Where did Lin go before the hairdressing ceremony?
3. Who did the sisters' house once belong to?
4. What is the funny smell Pei notices when she and Lin approach the sedan carriers in Canton?
5. The exterior of the silk factory is made up of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mei-li share with Pei after she comes home late one night?
2. Why does Lin decide she must also have a hairdressing ceremony?
3. How does Auntie Yee become a worker for the silk factory?
4. How does Mei-li react when Pei tells her it is time to go to the Chen Ling and Ming's banquet?
5. What was Kung Ma's marriage like?
6. Who is Sui Ying?
7. Does Chen Ling have a following of girls at the boarding house?
8. Is Mei-li willing to accept her father's choice of a husband for her?
9. How is Mei-li's body discovered?
10. Why is Auntie Yee worrying about Mei-li?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the setting of the sisters' house on Pei's life. How does she feel different when she moves into this house? What does she like about it? How does it give her the comfort and security she is seeking?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Auntie Yee's character. What does she represent to the young silk workers? Do you think she understands them better because she has gone through a similar experience? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of forgiveness as it relates to Pei and her parents. What must she forgive them for? Is she able to do it when she sees them again? How so?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)