|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lin offer Pei when she wakes up before the evening meal?
2. Who cuts Pei's bangs in Chapter 2?
3. What injures Ming in Chapter 4?
4. What is Pei's favorite place at the sisters' house?
5. Who said "It was as if she had been born an empty box, only to be filled by their desires" in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pei feel she is treated differently after her hairdressing ceremony?
2. How does Pei know it is the right decision for her to join the sisterhood with Lin?
3. What success does Pei have as a silk girl?
4. How does Yu-sung describe Pao's home after she is married?
5. Why is Auntie Yee worrying about Mei-li?
6. What is Pei's reaction to the silk factory?
7. Why does Yu-sung feel she has lost all her children?
8. What does Mei-li share with Pei after she comes home late one night?
9. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
10. How does Auntie Yee become a worker for the silk factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of forgiveness as it relates to Pei and her parents. What must she forgive them for? Is she able to do it when she sees them again? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Pei's resilience as she becomes accustomed to living in the girls' house. What is her reaction when she learns she has been abandoned? How does she cope with her new life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Pao come to the decision to send his daughter Pei to the silk factory? What does the fortune-teller say that convinces him to make this decision? How does he feel later about this decision?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)