|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Pei calls her father?
2. Who says "Remember to keep warm--you won't get sick if you keep warm!" in Chapter 8?
3. Why were the girls given a day off from the silk factory at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What does the cocoon feel like that Pei picks up from the spinning table on her first day at the factory?
5. How does Pei describe Auntie Yee's scent in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pei learn about from Sui Ying?
2. How does Pei know it is the right decision for her to join the sisterhood with Lin?
3. What success does Pei have as a silk girl?
4. Does Chen Ling have a following of girls at the boarding house?
5. Why does Pao decide to send Pei to work in the silk trade?
6. What is Pei's first impression of the sisters' house where she and Lin go to live?
7. How is Mei-li's body discovered?
8. Why is Auntie Yee worrying about Mei-li?
9. What is a hairdressing ceremony?
10. How does Mei-li react when Pei tells her it is time to go to the Chen Ling and Ming's banquet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is different about Sui Ying's circumstances that makes her hesitant about getting involved in the strike? What has she told Pei about her husband and dreams of the future? How is her death a commentary about being true to your inner desires when making a choice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Lin's brother, Ho Yung, plays an important role in Pei's life. What influence does he have on her and Ji Shen's safety? How is he instrumental in providing them with the opportunity to begin a new life in Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the setting of the sisters' house on Pei's life. How does she feel different when she moves into this house? What does she like about it? How does it give her the comfort and security she is seeking?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)