|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color armbands did the silk girls wear the day of Mei-li's burial?
2. What does Mei-li's father look like?
3. In Chapter 9, who is said to bathe infrequently, drink expensive liquor, and eat large slabs of bloody beef?
4. Who did Auntie Yee love more than anyone when she was a child?
5. What color uniforms do the Chinese soldiers wear at the docks in Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Kung Ma's marriage like?
2. Why is Auntie Yee worrying about Mei-li?
3. Does Pei's mother think girls should be well-educated?
4. Describe Pei's experience on the boat to Canton with Lin.
5. What does Mei-li share with Pei after she comes home late one night?
6. Why does Yu-sung feel she has lost all her children?
7. What does Pei think about the sampans crossing the river as she rests with her father on the riverbank?
8. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
9. How does Auntie Yee become a worker for the silk factory?
10. What success does Pei have as a silk girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the hairdressing ceremony and its meaning to the silk sisterhood. Why does Lin tell Pei she is not ready to make the decision to participate in this ceremony? When does Pei know for certain that it is the right path for her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pei and Lin's relationship. What role(s) does Lin fill in Pei's life when she first arrives at the girls' house? How does their relationship deepen as they grow older?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pei's resilience as she becomes accustomed to living in the girls' house. What is her reaction when she learns she has been abandoned? How does she cope with her new life?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)