|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Pei seated at Lin's brother's wedding banquet?
(a) Head table.
(b) At a table with foreigners.
(c) Table with relatives.
(d) Table with children.
2. Where has Moi always had her room in the girls' house?
(a) A bedroom on the second floor.
(b) On a cot in the far end of the kitchen.
(c) In the attic.
(d) Next to Auntie Yee's bedroom.
3. When Chen Ling is summoned to Auntie Yee's beside, how has her illness progressed?
(a) She is coughing up blood.
(b) Her entire leg is swollen.
(c) She can't see.
(d) She has pnuemonia.
4. Why were some factory workers getting sick in Chapter 11?
(a) From the drinking water.
(b) The flu was going around Yung Kee.
(c) Fatigue and bad ventilation.
(d) They all ate the same bad food.
5. Who does Pei see from the window of Lin's bedroom in Canton as she looks out into the garden?
(a) Wong Tai.
(c) Ho Chee.
(d) Ho Yung.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pao sees Pei walking toward the pond when she returns home, how does he describe his daughter's appearance?
2. What is Moi burning in the house when Auntie Yee is sick?
3. What expression does Moi have on her face after Pei and Lin speak to her and she is back in the kitchen in Chapter 16?
4. What does Pao say months of fear about losing Yu-sung has done to him?
5. When Pao comes into the house for dinner in Chapter 13, what does he check for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yu-sung's physical state?
2. How do the girls finally discover that Auntie Yee is sick?
3. What is the state of affairs at the factory after New Year's?
4. What does Lin do when the fire starts in the factory?
5. Does Sui Ying seem to be uneasy about protesting?
6. What is the Ghost Feast?
7. What is Lin's homecoming like?
8. How does Ji Shen react when Pei asks her if she wants to go to Hong Kong?
9. What is Pao's reaction when Pei returns home?
10. Is Yu-sung happy to see Pei?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)