|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides shorter work hours, what changes did Chung agree to for the factory workers after their strike?
(a) Air conditioning.
(b) Compensation for extra hours and a day off every two weeks.
(c) To buy lunch every day.
(d) New windows for better ventilation.
2. When Pao comes into the house for dinner in Chapter 13, what does he check for?
(a) That the windows are closed.
(b) That Yu-sung is still breathing.
(c) That there is enough firewood.
(d) That there is enough fresh water.
3. How does Pei feel once she sees the village of her youth again?
(b) Filled with bad memories.
(d) Excited like a child.
4. When did the strike begin at the factory?
(a) During the 3 pm break.
(b) With the noon bell.
(c) At closing time.
(d) Early in the morning.
5. Who is Lau Chen?
(a) Pei's brother.
(b) Lin's brother.
(c) Sui Ying's husband.
(d) Chung's assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yu-sung discover about Li when she returned for her third day visit after her marriage?
2. Who does Auntie Yee dream of the night she dies?
3. What stench does Pei find almost unbearable while at Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
4. What city are Pei and Lin planning to move to?
5. What does Pao say months of fear about losing Yu-sung has done to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lin's homecoming like?
2. What does Pei dream about her mother after she has died?
3. How does Chen Ling inspire the workers to strike?
4. How does Ji Shen react when Pei asks her if she wants to go to Hong Kong?
5. Are the working conditions deteriorating at the factory in Chapter 11?
6. What is the state of affairs at the factory after New Year's?
7. Describe Pao's physical appearance.
8. What is Pei's reaction to Lin's family home?
9. What is Chung's reaction when the factory girls go on strike?
10. Why is Moi keeping everyone away from Auntie Yee's bedroom?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)