|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Moi burning in the house when Auntie Yee is sick?
(a) Old clothes.
2. What does Chung insist the factory workers do to make up for lost revenue in Chapter 11?
(a) Work faster.
(b) Skip part of the process to get it done faster.
(c) Lower their work quality.
(d) Work longer hours for no additional pay.
3. What does Chung throw down in anger after talking to the women in the factory in Chapter 17?
4. What city are Pei and Lin planning to move to?
(d) Hong Kong.
5. When one girl dies, what are the other factory workers encouraged to do?
(a) Step forward in protest.
(b) To be quiet and get back to work.
(c) Stop complaining.
(d) Be better behaved.
6. When Pei and Lin are traveling to the countryside, why does Pei decide not to ride in the sedan chair Lin has hired?
(a) She has motion sickness.
(b) She wants to feel the earth beneath her feet.
(c) The sedan carriers are tired.
(d) Her legs are cramped and she needs to stretch them.
7. Who does Pei see from the window of Lin's bedroom in Canton as she looks out into the garden?
(a) Wong Tai.
(b) Ho Chee.
(c) Ho Yung.
8. Why is traveling within the city difficult in Chapter 17?
(a) Because of military checkpoints.
(b) Too many Japanese fighters.
(c) Lots of rain.
(d) The river has flooded.
9. How long is the list of demands that comes from the secret meeting?
(a) Three pages.
(b) One page.
(c) Two pages.
(d) Six pages.
10. What does Pei promise Ji Shen in Chapter 18?
(a) To make sure she never goes hungry again.
(b) To help her with her chores.
(c) To visit her.
(d) They will be safe when they move to another city.
11. Where do Pei and Lin tell the sedan carriers to wait while they walk to Pei's family home?
(a) By the roadside in the sun.
(b) At the tea house in the village.
(c) At a neighbor's barn.
(d) Under the shade of a tree.
12. What does Chung arrive in during the strike?
(a) Sedan chair.
(c) Long black car.
13. What expression does Moi have on her face after Pei and Lin speak to her and she is back in the kitchen in Chapter 16?
(c) Smile of victory.
14. Who accompanies Pei home after Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
(a) Wong Tai.
(c) Ho Yung.
15. Who nurses Ji Shen back to health?
(a) Kung Ma.
(b) Chen Ling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wong Tai ask her son Ho Yung to make sure is delivered on the day of the marriage ceremony?
2. Who helps Lin and Pei into the sedan chair when they leave Lin's family's house to return to Yung Kee?
3. How many workers gathered at the sisters' home the night before the protest?
4. What does the large shipment mean for the silk factory after New Year's in Chapter 16?
5. Who is the only one who knows that Auntie Yee is sick in Chapter 12?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)