|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yu-sung go after Pei and Lin have left her house?
(c) Tea house.
(d) Down to the groves.
2. What does Wong Tai ask her son Ho Yung to make sure is delivered on the day of the marriage ceremony?
(a) Sugar candies.
(b) Chicken casserole.
(d) Roast pig.
3. Who does Auntie Yee dream of the night she dies?
(a) Working in the silk factory.
(b) Flying like a white bird.
(c) Sailing on the Pearl River.
(d) Her brother Chan.
4. How long has Pei's sister, Li, been married?
(a) Six years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twelve years.
5. What does Pao say months of fear about losing Yu-sung has done to him?
(a) Turned him into an old man.
(b) Turned his hair gray.
(c) Made him lose his appetite.
(d) Furrowed his brow with worry lines.
6. What are Lin's brothers wearing when they greet Pei and Lin?
(a) Dark suits with starched white collars.
(b) White pants and shirts.
(c) Red shirts.
(d) Long silk robes.
7. Who nurses Ji Shen back to health?
(c) Chen Ling.
(d) Kung Ma.
8. What factory girl is killed during the strike?
(a) Kung Ma.
(d) Sui Ying.
9. What does Mui call Lin?
(a) Dear one.
(d) Little girl.
10. How many workers gathered at the sisters' home the night before the protest?
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Over a hundred.
11. When Pao comes into the house for dinner in Chapter 13, what does he check for?
(a) That there is enough firewood.
(b) That the windows are closed.
(c) That Yu-sung is still breathing.
(d) That there is enough fresh water.
12. What does the large shipment mean for the silk factory after New Year's in Chapter 16?
(a) No breaks during the day.
(b) Enforcement of longer hours.
(c) Lots of work for the girls.
(d) Lunch is only 15 minutes long.
13. How long did it take for Pao's fish ponds to restore themselves after Pei went to work for the silk factory?
(a) Five seasons.
(b) One season.
(c) Three seasons.
(d) Ten seasons.
14. Who does Pei talk about finding after she returns to the silk factory?
(b) Lau Chen.
15. What does Pei say about Ho Yung, Lin's youngest brother?
(a) Auntie Yee would like him.
(b) He is a flirt.
(c) He likes to eat a lot.
(d) He most closely resembles Lin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the list of demands that comes from the secret meeting?
2. How does Yu-sung feel after Pei and Lin have said good-bye and leave?
3. When did the strike begin at the factory?
4. When Pei and Lin are traveling to the countryside, why does Pei decide not to ride in the sedan chair Lin has hired?
5. What did Chung come to the factory to tell the women in Chapter 17?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)