|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stench does Pei find almost unbearable while at Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
(c) Cooking fish.
(d) Cigar smoke.
2. Who does Auntie Yee dream of the night she dies?
(a) Her brother Chan.
(b) Flying like a white bird.
(c) Sailing on the Pearl River.
(d) Working in the silk factory.
3. What expression does Moi have on her face after Pei and Lin speak to her and she is back in the kitchen in Chapter 16?
(c) Smile of victory.
4. What was in the letter that Pei received from her village?
(a) News about her father's health.
(b) News about Li's whereabouts.
(c) News about the death of her mother.
(d) An invitation to a family celebration.
5. When one girl dies, what are the other factory workers encouraged to do?
(a) Be better behaved.
(b) To be quiet and get back to work.
(c) Step forward in protest.
(d) Stop complaining.
6. Why were some factory workers getting sick in Chapter 11?
(a) Fatigue and bad ventilation.
(b) The flu was going around Yung Kee.
(c) From the drinking water.
(d) They all ate the same bad food.
7. Who helps Lin and Pei into the sedan chair when they leave Lin's family's house to return to Yung Kee?
(a) Wong Tai.
(b) Ho Yung.
(c) Ho Chee.
8. Who is Lau Chen?
(a) Lin's brother.
(b) Sui Ying's husband.
(c) Chung's assistant.
(d) Pei's brother.
9. What does Chung insist the factory workers do to make up for lost revenue in Chapter 11?
(a) Work longer hours for no additional pay.
(b) Lower their work quality.
(c) Skip part of the process to get it done faster.
(d) Work faster.
10. When Pei and Lin are traveling to the countryside, why does Pei decide not to ride in the sedan chair Lin has hired?
(a) The sedan carriers are tired.
(b) Her legs are cramped and she needs to stretch them.
(c) She wants to feel the earth beneath her feet.
(d) She has motion sickness.
11. Who sends Lin a phonograph and records?
(a) Her younger brother, Ho Yung.
(b) Her older brother.
(d) Her mother.
12. What does Pei say about Ho Yung, Lin's youngest brother?
(a) He most closely resembles Lin.
(b) He likes to eat a lot.
(c) He is a flirt.
(d) Auntie Yee would like him.
13. What is the weather when Ji Shen appears at the girls' house one evening?
(a) Rainy and windy.
(d) Hot and dry.
14. What did Yu-sung discover about Li when she returned for her third day visit after her marriage?
(a) Her husband beat her.
(b) She refuses to go back to her husband.
(c) She has the chicken pox.
(d) She has a nervous condition.
15. What is Moi burning in the house when Auntie Yee is sick?
(c) Old clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many workers gathered at the sisters' home the night before the protest?
2. Who is Mui?
3. When Pao sees Pei walking toward the pond when she returns home, how does he describe his daughter's appearance?
4. What is nien kao?
5. How long is the list of demands that comes from the secret meeting?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)