|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was in the letter that Pei received from her village?
(a) An invitation to a family celebration.
(b) News about her father's health.
(c) News about Li's whereabouts.
(d) News about the death of her mother.
2. What does Pei say about Ho Yung, Lin's youngest brother?
(a) He likes to eat a lot.
(b) Auntie Yee would like him.
(c) He is a flirt.
(d) He most closely resembles Lin.
3. Who accompanies Pei home after Ho Chee's wedding banquet?
(a) Wong Tai.
(c) Ho Yung.
4. Where has Moi always had her room in the girls' house?
(a) In the attic.
(b) A bedroom on the second floor.
(c) Next to Auntie Yee's bedroom.
(d) On a cot in the far end of the kitchen.
5. What city are Pei and Lin planning to move to?
(b) Hong Kong.
6. Who does Moi see and have conversations with in the kitchen when she is alone in Chapter 16?
(a) Her mother's voice.
(b) Mei-li's ghost.
(d) Auntie Yee.
7. What gift does Yu-sung give Pei when she visits with Lin?
(a) Jade necklace.
(d) Silk painting of five birds.
8. Who does Pei talk about finding after she returns to the silk factory?
(c) Lau Chen.
9. What are Lin's brothers wearing when they greet Pei and Lin?
(a) Dark suits with starched white collars.
(b) Red shirts.
(c) White pants and shirts.
(d) Long silk robes.
10. When Pao sees Pei walking toward the pond when she returns home, how does he describe his daughter's appearance?
(a) Short like her mother.
(b) Pretty with red hair.
(d) Tall and quite beautiful.
11. Besides shorter work hours, what changes did Chung agree to for the factory workers after their strike?
(a) Compensation for extra hours and a day off every two weeks.
(b) New windows for better ventilation.
(c) To buy lunch every day.
(d) Air conditioning.
12. When Pao comes into the house for dinner in Chapter 13, what does he check for?
(a) That there is enough fresh water.
(b) That Yu-sung is still breathing.
(c) That there is enough firewood.
(d) That the windows are closed.
13. What did Chung come to the factory to tell the women in Chapter 17?
(a) He asked their opinion on new designs.
(b) He had a new shipment.
(c) He wants to give them pay raises.
(d) He is closing the factory.
14. What is nien kao?
(b) Sticky sweet cake.
15. How long is the list of demands that comes from the secret meeting?
(a) One page.
(b) Two pages.
(c) Three pages.
(d) Six pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pei goes back to her family's farm, what color does she describe the soil as?
2. Where does Pao go when he feels tears burning in his eyes at the end of Chapter 14?
3. When one girl dies, what are the other factory workers encouraged to do?
4. How does Yu-sung feel after Pei and Lin have said good-bye and leave?
5. What does Chung arrive in during the strike?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)