|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chen Ling's father send to her hairdressing ceremony?
(a) Comb and brush.
(d) Package of lucky money and his good wishes.
2. How does Pei describe Auntie Yee's scent in Chapter 2?
(c) Spicy apple.
(d) Soap and ammonia.
3. What does Pao decide about Pei's future?
(a) Arrange a marriage as quickly as possible.
(b) Keep her home until she is older.
(c) To have her work in a silk factory.
(d) Have her work at a neighbor's home.
4. Where does Pei go to try and find Mei-li after she doesn't show up at work?
(a) Sisters' house.
(b) Market place.
(d) Hong's house.
5. What does Pei decide she must do after Mei-li's death?
(a) Return home.
(b) Work in another factory.
(c) Go through the hairdressing ceremony with Lin.
(d) Visit Mei-li's family.
6. What did Lin's mother send to her in Chapter 8?
(b) Fruit and lucky money.
(c) Family heirloom.
7. Who did the sisters' house once belong to?
(a) Wealthy family from Canton.
(c) Lin's family.
(d) Auntie Yee.
8. How old was Auntie Yee when she was given to the silk work?
9. What does Hong clutch under his arm in Chapter 7?
(b) Lunch bag.
10. How was Lin educated as a child?
(a) Private tutor.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) Public school.
11. What does Lin tell Pei they must start considering about their futures?
(a) Getting promotions at work.
(b) Vacation plans.
(c) Financial planning.
(d) Going to the university.
12. In Chapter 9, who is said to bathe infrequently, drink expensive liquor, and eat large slabs of bloody beef?
(b) Cantonese men.
(c) Yung Kee's wealthy families.
(d) The white devils.
13. How far is the sisters' house from the girls' house?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One and a half miles.
(c) Four miles.
(d) No more than 1/2 mile.
14. What tribe is Pao descended from?
15. What did the male managers shout as they waved their sticks at the working girls in the silk factory?
(a) Stop talking!
(b) Too slow!
(c) Keep working!
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pei waiting impatiently for her mother at the beginning of the novel?
2. What did Auntie Yee get in the habit of doing in Chapter 5?
3. What is Auntie Yee cleaning again at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What ceremony does Lin want Pei to attend with her in Canton?
5. What does the cocoon feel like that Pei picks up from the spinning table on her first day at the factory?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)