|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of flowers did Pei pick while walking with her father in Chapter 2?
2. Who did Auntie Yee love more than anyone when she was a child?
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
3. What job does Kung Ma have at the sisters' house?
(b) Keeping the books.
(d) Cleaning person.
4. What does Pei say about her reflection after she has had her bangs cut?
(a) She looks more beautiful.
(b) She looks like all the other girls.
(c) She had always wanted bangs.
(d) The hair cutter did a good job.
5. What tribe is Pao descended from?
6. What does Lin offer Pei when she wakes up before the evening meal?
(b) Kindness and comfort.
(d) To call her mother.
7. Why is Pei waiting impatiently for her mother at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She has to finish reading a novel.
(b) She needs to help her husband in the fields.
(c) Her mother is having a baby.
(d) She is cooking dinner.
8. What did the male managers shout as they waved their sticks at the working girls in the silk factory?
(b) Keep working!
(c) Too slow!
(d) Stop talking!
9. What was Yu-sung accustomed to in her childhood home?
(a) Lack of money.
(d) Cleanliness and a few high-quality items.
10. Who did Auntie Yee marry when she was twelve?
(b) Silk factory manager.
11. Why were the girls given a day off from the silk factory at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) They are waiting for a new shipment of cocoons.
(b) It is their yearly day off.
(c) Chung was feeling generous.
(d) The machines are broken.
12. In Chapter 9, who is said to bathe infrequently, drink expensive liquor, and eat large slabs of bloody beef?
(b) Cantonese men.
(c) Yung Kee's wealthy families.
(d) The white devils.
13. What did many people disapprove of about the way Lin's father dressed?
(a) He wore traditional Chinese gowns.
(b) He wore Western suits.
(c) He wore Italian shoes.
(d) He wore a cowboy hat.
14. Who did Pao consult for advice about his children?
(d) Fortune teller.
15. How far is the sisters' house from the girls' house?
(a) Two miles.
(b) No more than 1/2 mile.
(c) Four miles.
(d) One and a half miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room did Pei begin in when she first started working at the silk factory?
2. What does Pei decide she must do after Mei-li's death?
3. What happened with the year's harvest when Pei was young?
4. Who said "It was as if she had been born an empty box, only to be filled by their desires" in Chapter 7?
5. What are the physical characteristics of the tribe that Pao descends from?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)