|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What big storm occurs in Chapter 4?
2. Who did Auntie Yee love more than anyone when she was a child?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her mother.
3. What does Pei decide she must do after Mei-li's death?
(a) Work in another factory.
(b) Return home.
(c) Go through the hairdressing ceremony with Lin.
(d) Visit Mei-li's family.
4. What is the name of the river that Mei-li walks to after her fight with Hong?
5. How does Pei describe Auntie Yee's scent in Chapter 2?
(b) Soap and ammonia.
(d) Spicy apple.
6. What does Pei say about her reflection after she has had her bangs cut?
(a) She had always wanted bangs.
(b) She looks like all the other girls.
(c) The hair cutter did a good job.
(d) She looks more beautiful.
7. Where did Lin go before the hairdressing ceremony?
(a) To see her mother.
(b) To work at the silk factory.
(c) On an errand for Auntie Yee.
(d) To the library.
8. How many decks does the boat have that takes Pei and Lin to Canton?
9. What does Mei-li's father look like?
(a) Full head of hair and short.
(b) Heavyset and balding.
(c) Thin, with glasses.
(d) Tall and thin.
10. What are the physical characteristics of the tribe that Pao descends from?
(a) Tall with flat facial features.
(b) Tall with nice cheekbones.
(c) Short with large noses.
(d) Average height with bushy eyebrows.
11. What is one object that Pei collects for herself in Chapter 7?
(a) Silk cushion the color of the sky.
(b) Stone shaped like a giraffe.
(c) Dried flowers.
12. Who says "Remember to keep warm--you won't get sick if you keep warm!" in Chapter 8?
(a) Auntie Yee.
13. What happened with the year's harvest when Pei was young?
(b) A good year.
(c) Enough to support the whole family for a year.
(d) It was poor.
14. Why is Pei waiting impatiently for her mother at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She has to finish reading a novel.
(b) She needs to help her husband in the fields.
(c) Her mother is having a baby.
(d) She is cooking dinner.
15. Why were the girls given a day off from the silk factory at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Chung was feeling generous.
(b) They are waiting for a new shipment of cocoons.
(c) It is their yearly day off.
(d) The machines are broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of farm does Pao have?
2. What were Lin and Pei's assigned duties at the sisters' house?
3. Where did Sui Ying's husband go after the flood?
4. Where is Pei left in Chapter 2?
5. What does Yu-sung give her daughter Li before her marriage?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)