|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 21?
2. What gemstone does Ursula worry is unlucky in Chapter 23?
3. Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 19, “I wouldn't give a straw for your female ego—it's” what?
4. Birkin exclaims to Ursula in the marketplace in Chapter 26, “It is all possessions, possessions, bullying you and turning you into” what?
5. Gudrun states in Chapter 30, “Of course, life doesn’t really matter – it’s one’s” what “which is central”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision do Ursula and Birkin make after having tea at Southwell Minster in Chapter 23?
2. What takes place between Birkin and Gerald in Chapter 20?
3. What are Ursula’s impressions as she leaves England for Continental Europe in Chapter 29? Where does she meet Gudrun?
4. How does the illness of Mr. Crich influence the atmosphere and actions of the narrative in Chapter 21?
5. Where does Ursula first see Birkin in Chapter 19? What is he doing?
6. What is related in the letter that Gudrun receives in the beginning of Chapter 21?
7. How does the relationship between Gudrun and Gerald begin to change after the departure of Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 30?
8. What do Hermione and Ursula discuss when they encounter one another at tea in Chapter 22?
9. What destructive characteristics are foreshadowed in the relationship between Gerald and Gudrun in Chapter 24?
10. What does Gerald do when he encounters Gudrun and Loerke talking in the snow in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ursula and Birkin’s viewpoints about their future, travel, and the meaning of “home.” What does Birkin want to achieve through traveling and leaving convention behind? How does Ursula feel about Birkin’s ideals? What are Ursula’s views on conventional home life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Gudrun Brangwen in the novel. How old are the sisters? What are their principle occupations? How are the sisters alike? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of William Brangwen in the novel. How has the author characterized the relationship between the Brangwen patriarch and his daughters? How is this relationship depicted in Chapter 19? What causes the dispute between Will Brangwen and Birkin?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)