|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gudrun asks Gerald in Chapter 30, “Don't you think the understanding of a flea is more interesting than the understanding of a” what?
2. With what friend does Hermione say she will stay with for the winter in Chapter 22?
3. Of Gerald, the narrator states in Chapter 25, “There was a numbness upon him, a numbness either of unborn, absent volition, or of” what?
4. After Gudrun announces to Loerke that she and Gerald aren’t married in Chapter 30, Gerald gets up and goes to discuss what writer and artist?
5. Ursula tells Gudrun in Chapter 29 that “Herr Loerke is doing a great frieze for a factory” where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Ursula and Birkin give away a chair in Chapter 26? To whom do they give the chair?
2. What gift does Birkin give to Ursula in Chapter 23? Why?
3. What does Gerald do when he encounters Gudrun and Loerke talking in the snow in Chapter 30?
4. How does Ursula respond when Birkin asks her to marry him in front of her father in Chapter 19?
5. What do Hermione and Ursula discuss when they encounter one another at tea in Chapter 22?
6. How is the motif of death relative to Gerald’s character in Women in Love?
7. What does Gudrun remark to Gerald of the sunset in Chapter 30?
8. Where does Ursula first see Birkin in Chapter 19? What is he doing?
9. What decision do Ursula and Birkin make after having tea at Southwell Minster in Chapter 23?
10. What causes the fight between Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 23? What takes place during the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of class distinction in Women in Love. How does each of the main characters (Ursula, Gudrun, Gerald, and Birkin) differ in their viewpoints of class and the lower classes? Do you see Ursula and Gudrun’s distaste for the lower classes as a character fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Winifred Crich in the novel. How old is Winifred? Why is Winifred described as unique amongst children her age? What is Winifred’s relationship with her parents and siblings like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict between Ursula and her father in Chapter 27. Why does Mr. Brangwen respond as he does when Ursula informs the family of her intention to wed the following day? How does Ursula meet this obstacle and overcome it? How does Birkin respond to the situation?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)