|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 24, “When Gudrun heard that Mr. Crich was dead, she felt” what?
2. Of England, Birkin says in Chapter 29, “It's a great actual unreality now, an aggregation into unreality. It might be real, if there were no” what?
3. The narrator states in Chapter 30, “All these things, however, riches, pride of social standing, handsome physique, were” what?
4. Birkin tells Gerald that he’s like whom in Chapter 25 because he argues the concept of marriage like a lawyer?
5. What is the title of Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerald do when he encounters Gudrun and Loerke talking in the snow in Chapter 30?
2. Why do Ursula and Birkin leave the inn at Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
3. Why do Ursula and Birkin give away a chair in Chapter 26? To whom do they give the chair?
4. What do Hermione and Ursula discuss when they encounter one another at tea in Chapter 22?
5. What is Ursula’s impression of the photo of artwork of Loerke’s shown to her in Chapter 29?
6. What is Birkin’s response to the situation when he and Ursula return to the inn in Chapter 31?
7. What are Ursula’s impressions as she leaves England for Continental Europe in Chapter 29? Where does she meet Gudrun?
8. How is the encounter between Gerald and Gudrun described after the death of Mr. Crich in Chapter 24?
9. How is the motif of death relative to Gerald’s character in Women in Love?
10. How does Gudrun respond to Gerald’s socializing with the Germans at the inn in Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the criticism, banning, and publication problems of Women in Love based on its depiction of sexuality. How many critics have viewed the relationship between Gerald and Birkin as one that is rooted in homosexual desires? How is this sexuality depicted through the narrative in Chapter 20?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of class distinction in Women in Love. How does each of the main characters (Ursula, Gudrun, Gerald, and Birkin) differ in their viewpoints of class and the lower classes? Do you see Ursula and Gudrun’s distaste for the lower classes as a character fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss narrative style of the novel. Is the story related in first, second, or third person? Is it told in the present or past tense? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? What effect does the novel’s narrative voice have on the reader?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)