|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 30, “When Ursula had gone, Gudrun felt her own existence had become” what?
2. What is the name of Herr Loerke’s companion that asks Gudrun to dance at the inn in Chapter 29?
3. Of Herr Loerke, the narrator says in Chapter 30, “He hated Mestrovic, was not satisfied with” whom?
4. What is the title of Chapter 21?
5. The narrator states in Chapter 24, “When Gudrun heard that Mr. Crich was dead, she felt” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What destructive characteristics are foreshadowed in the relationship between Gerald and Gudrun in Chapter 24?
2. What do Ursula and Gerald discuss when they see one another after Ursula has married Birkin in Chapter 27?
3. What is Ursula’s impression of the photo of artwork of Loerke’s shown to her in Chapter 29?
4. What does Gudrun remark to Gerald of the sunset in Chapter 30?
5. What does Gerald do when he encounters Gudrun and Loerke talking in the snow in Chapter 30?
6. What is Birkin’s response to the situation when he and Ursula return to the inn in Chapter 31?
7. What is significant about the encounter between Birkin and Ursula and the Halliday crowd in Chapter 28?
8. What gift does Birkin give to Ursula in Chapter 23? Why?
9. Where does Ursula first see Birkin in Chapter 19? What is he doing?
10. Where do Ursula and Gudrun go together in Chapter 27? What do they discuss while there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of the meaning of love in the novel. What does Birkin define “love” as? How does his definition differ with that of Ursula? How do Gudrun and Gerald each define love and its meaning? With which character(s) do you most agree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Gerald Crich. How old is Gerald? What information about his childhood does Ursula relate to Gudrun early in the book? How does this information shape the reader’s impressions of Gerald?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the symbolism of the Mino cat in Chapter 13 as related to the theme of subservient and dominant will in the novel. Does this exchange prove the point of Gerald, Birkin, Ursula or Gudrun? How? Why does the author choose to include this exchange in the chapter?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)