|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the estate belonging to the Crich family?
2. Where is Gudrun away having a showing of her work in the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. Gudrun tells Gerald that she will leave the inn where they have stayed for the winter when in Chapter 30?
4. What is the river in Greek mythology that forms the boundary between the world of the living and the underworld?
5. Ursula’s father is described in Chapter 19 as being nearly what age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Birkin and Ursula by the pond in the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. Who do Ursula, Birkin, Gerald and Gudrun meet at the inn in Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
3. How does Ursula respond when Birkin asks her to marry him in front of her father in Chapter 19?
4. How does the relationship between Gudrun and Gerald begin to change after the departure of Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 30?
5. What decision do Ursula and Birkin make after having tea at Southwell Minster in Chapter 23?
6. Where does Ursula first see Birkin in Chapter 19? What is he doing?
7. What is Gudrun’s response when Loerke asks where she will go next in Chapter 30?
8. Why do Ursula and Birkin leave the inn at Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
9. Where do Ursula and Gudrun go together in Chapter 27? What do they discuss while there?
10. What gift does Birkin give to Ursula in Chapter 23? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexuality in Women in Love. How do the sexual morals of the Halliday crowd differ from those of conventional England at this time? How is the character of Pussum depicted through sexuality? How is her character perceived by others for her promiscuity?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss narrative style of the novel. Is the story related in first, second, or third person? Is it told in the present or past tense? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? What effect does the novel’s narrative voice have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics of the Halliday crowd in Women in Love. How do the members of this group stand in opposition to the social and cultural mores of England at this time historically? Do the actions and behaviors of these characters surprise you, given the novel’s setting and time period? Why or why not?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)