|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Birkin tells Gerald in Chapter 16 that his sister shouldn’t be sent away to school because only what kind of children should be sent to school?
2. Gudrun and Ursula row their canoe across the lake to bathe and picnic by a grove of what type of trees in Chapter 14?
3. What song does Ursula sing after she and Gudrun finish their tea-picnic by the lake in Chapter 14?
4. How does Gerald say he injured his hand in Chapter 14?
5. What is the title of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical conflict takes place between Hermione and Birkin in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Gudrun punch Gerald in the face in Chapter 14? What does this action signify in the narrative?
3. What are Gudrun and Ursula’s impressions of the Crich party when they arrive in Chapter 14? What do they do after arriving there?
4. What changes does Gerald make in his father’s business in Chapter 17?
5. How does D. H. Lawrence illustrate the miners in Chapter 9? What personal experience of the author’s relates to this depiction?
6. How does Ursula’s demeanor change after the Crich party in Chapter 15?
7. What is symbolized by Gudrun’s incident with Winifred’s rabbit, Bismarck, in Chapter 18?
8. What conversation does Ursula have with Mrs. Kirk in Chapter 17? Why does she see Mrs. Kirk?
9. Who do Ursula and Gudrun see leaping into the lake in Chapter 4? What do they remark about the spectacle?
10. How are Gerald and Birkin’s views of the modern world described in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Winifred Crich in the novel. How old is Winifred? Why is Winifred described as unique amongst children her age? What is Winifred’s relationship with her parents and siblings like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the criticism, banning, and publication problems of Women in Love based on its depiction of sexuality. How many critics have viewed the relationship between Gerald and Birkin as one that is rooted in homosexual desires? How is this sexuality depicted through the narrative in Chapter 20?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Gerald Crich. How old is Gerald? What information about his childhood does Ursula relate to Gudrun early in the book? How does this information shape the reader’s impressions of Gerald?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)