|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the children that Ursula is watching when Birkin comes to her home in Chapter 15?
2. How old is Gudrun in Chapter 1?
3. Where has Hermione asked Ursula and Gudrun to come visit her and spend a few days in Chapter 4?
4. What song does Ursula sing after she and Gudrun finish their tea-picnic by the lake in Chapter 14?
5. Who jumps in to save Gerald’s sister from drowning in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by Gudrun’s incident with Winifred’s rabbit, Bismarck, in Chapter 18?
2. What is foreshadowed by the conversation between Birkin and Ursula at the party in Chapter 11?
3. What are Gudrun and Ursula’s impressions of the Crich party when they arrive in Chapter 14? What do they do after arriving there?
4. How does D. H. Lawrence illustrate the miners in Chapter 9? What personal experience of the author’s relates to this depiction?
5. What is symbolized by Ursula’s challenge to Birkin regarding Hermione furnishing his rooms in Chapter 12?
6. How do Ursula and Gudrun feel about their stay at Breadalby in the beginning of Chapter 8?
7. How are the bodies found after the party at the Crich estate in Chapter 14?
8. Who visits Ursula’s classroom in Chapter 3? Why?
9. What thoughts consume Birkin as he remains ill and at home in the beginning of Chapter 16?
10. What takes place at the party at Breadalby after dinner in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of William Brangwen in the novel. How has the author characterized the relationship between the Brangwen patriarch and his daughters? How is this relationship depicted in Chapter 19? What causes the dispute between Will Brangwen and Birkin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ursula’s response to the act of sexual passion between her and Birkin in the narrative. How does Ursula feel about Birkin after their night in the car? How have Birkin’s feelings for Ursula changed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the symbolism of the Mino cat in Chapter 13 as related to the theme of subservient and dominant will in the novel. Does this exchange prove the point of Gerald, Birkin, Ursula or Gudrun? How? Why does the author choose to include this exchange in the chapter?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)