|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the electrician that Gudrun befriends at the market in Chapter 9?
2. The woman who sells honey to Gudrun in Chapter 17 tells her that she left being a servant in the Crich household when Gerald was how old?
3. Breadalby is described as a house of what architectural style?
4. What age is Ursula described as being in Chapter 1?
5. When Ursula and Rupert Birkin take a punt to the island of the pond in Chapter 11, he says of the “jungle of rank plants,” “I shall mow this down, and then it will be romantic—like” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the author’s narrative style as established in Chapter 1? How does this narrative style relate to the author’s characterizations?
2. How does D. H. Lawrence illustrate the miners in Chapter 9? What personal experience of the author’s relates to this depiction?
3. How are Gerald and Birkin’s views of the modern world described in Chapter 5?
4. What dispute takes place regarding “love” between Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 13?
5. What changes does Gerald make in his father’s business in Chapter 17?
6. Why does Gudrun punch Gerald in the face in Chapter 14? What does this action signify in the narrative?
7. What is foreshadowed by the conversation between Birkin and Ursula at the party in Chapter 11?
8. What is significant about Hermione’s appearance in Chapter 10?
9. What takes place at the party at Breadalby after dinner in Chapter 8?
10. Who visits Ursula’s classroom in Chapter 3? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss narrative style of the novel. Is the story related in first, second, or third person? Is it told in the present or past tense? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? What effect does the novel’s narrative voice have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Winifred Crich in the novel. How old is Winifred? Why is Winifred described as unique amongst children her age? What is Winifred’s relationship with her parents and siblings like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ursula and Birkin’s viewpoints about their future, travel, and the meaning of “home.” What does Birkin want to achieve through traveling and leaving convention behind? How does Ursula feel about Birkin’s ideals? What are Ursula’s views on conventional home life?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)