|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gerald Crich’s mother is repeatedly compared to what type of bird in Chapter 17?
2. How does Gerald say he injured his hand in Chapter 14?
3. What is the name of Gerald’s youngest sister in the novel?
4. The narrator says of Birkin in Chapter 16, “He wanted sex to revert to the level of the other appetites, to be regarded as a functional process, not as” what?
5. How much money does Gudrun have “of which nobody knew anything” in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who falls into the lake at the Crich party in Chapter 14? What is the outcome of this situation?
2. How are the bodies found after the party at the Crich estate in Chapter 14?
3. What changes does Gerald make in his father’s business in Chapter 17?
4. What is symbolized by Ursula’s challenge to Birkin regarding Hermione furnishing his rooms in Chapter 12?
5. What dispute takes place regarding “love” between Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 13?
6. What thoughts consume Birkin as he remains ill and at home in the beginning of Chapter 16?
7. What characteristic stands out among the main characters of Women in Love as they are introduced in Chapter 1?
8. What information about Gerald’s past does Ursula relate to Gudrun in Chapter 4?
9. What is significant about the author’s depiction of Birkin’s friends in London in Chapter 6?
10. How are Gerald and Birkin’s views of the modern world described in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the symbolism of the Mino cat in Chapter 13 as related to the theme of subservient and dominant will in the novel. Does this exchange prove the point of Gerald, Birkin, Ursula or Gudrun? How? Why does the author choose to include this exchange in the chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of class distinction in Women in Love. How does each of the main characters (Ursula, Gudrun, Gerald, and Birkin) differ in their viewpoints of class and the lower classes? Do you see Ursula and Gudrun’s distaste for the lower classes as a character fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Industrial Revolution and its impact on the culture, society, philosophy, and economy of Great Britain. How does author D. H. Lawrence use the coalmines in the story as a symbolic representation of the Industrial Revolution? How does Gerald fit into this depiction?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)