|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of Ursula and Gudrun in the novel?
2. What kinds of birds are in cages around the kitchen at the mill in Chapter 12?
3. What is the title of Chapter 6?
4. The electrician that Gudrun meets in the market on Friday night in Chapter 9 is described as “a scientist with a passion for” what?
5. What is Birkin’s answer in Chapter 11 when Ursula asks him, “Then why do you care about people at all if you don't believe in love? Why do you bother about humanity?”
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Ursula and Gudrun see leaping into the lake in Chapter 4? What do they remark about the spectacle?
2. What is significant about the author’s depiction of Birkin’s friends in London in Chapter 6?
3. What happens with the Mino cat in Chapter 13? What does this symbolize?
4. Why does Gudrun punch Gerald in the face in Chapter 14? What does this action signify in the narrative?
5. How does Ursula’s demeanor change after the Crich party in Chapter 15?
6. How are Gerald and Birkin’s views of the modern world described in Chapter 5?
7. What is foreshadowed by the conversation between Birkin and Ursula at the party in Chapter 11?
8. What is symbolized by Gudrun’s incident with Winifred’s rabbit, Bismarck, in Chapter 18?
9. How would you describe the author’s narrative style as established in Chapter 1? How does this narrative style relate to the author’s characterizations?
10. How does D. H. Lawrence illustrate the miners in Chapter 9? What personal experience of the author’s relates to this depiction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of class distinction in Women in Love. How does each of the main characters (Ursula, Gudrun, Gerald, and Birkin) differ in their viewpoints of class and the lower classes? Do you see Ursula and Gudrun’s distaste for the lower classes as a character fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of William Brangwen in the novel. How has the author characterized the relationship between the Brangwen patriarch and his daughters? How is this relationship depicted in Chapter 19? What causes the dispute between Will Brangwen and Birkin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in Women in Love. How does the author use Diana’s death in Chapter 14 as a sounding point for the characters to express their views of death and its meaning? Which character has the most experience in facing death and grief? How do these experiences shape the character?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)