|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 23?
(b) “The Industrial Magnate.”
(c) “Crème de Menthe.”
(d) “Sunday Evening.”
2. Birkin tells Gerald that he’s like whom in Chapter 25 because he argues the concept of marriage like a lawyer?
(a) Lord Bacon.
(b) Andrew Walker.
(c) King George.
(d) Francis Scott Key.
3. What word does Gudrun use to mean “soldier of fortune” in Chapter 27?
4. Gudrun thinks to herself in Chapter 30, “In England it was chic to be perfectly” what?
5. Where do Ursula and Birkin depart the train for their hotel in Chapter 29?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rings does Birkin give to Ursula when he asks her to take a drive with him in Chapter 23?
2. Of Gerald, the narrator states in Chapter 25, “There was a numbness upon him, a numbness either of unborn, absent volition, or of” what?
3. What is the title of Chapter 21?
4. What does the French word “bagatelle” from Chapter 30 translate to in English?
5. Ursula tells Hermione in Chapter 22, “I think it is degrading not to be” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the encounter between Birkin and Ursula and the Halliday crowd in Chapter 28?
2. How is the motif of death relative to Gerald’s character in Women in Love?
3. What is Birkin’s response to the situation when he and Ursula return to the inn in Chapter 31?
4. What are Ursula’s impressions as she leaves England for Continental Europe in Chapter 29? Where does she meet Gudrun?
5. Who do Ursula, Birkin, Gerald and Gudrun meet at the inn in Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
6. What takes place between Birkin and Gerald in Chapter 20?
7. How does the illness of Mr. Crich influence the atmosphere and actions of the narrative in Chapter 21?
8. What is significant about the relationships in the novel as presented through the conversation of Gerald and Birkin in Chapter 25?
9. Why do Ursula and Birkin leave the inn at Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
10. What is Gudrun’s response when Loerke asks where she will go next in Chapter 30?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)