|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ursula tells Hermione that Birkin wants her to sink herself and not to have any being of her own, Hermione responds, “Then why doesn’t he marry” what?
(a) “An invalid.”
(b) “An odalisk.”
(c) “A mime.”
(d) “A concubine.”
2. Gudrun states in Chapter 30, “Of course, life doesn’t really matter – it’s one’s” what “which is central”?
3. Where do Ursula and Birkin drive to have high tea in Chapter 23?
(b) Southwell Minster.
(d) Piccadilly Circus.
4. What is the name of Birkin’s landlady who answers the door to Ursula in Chapter 27?
(a) Mrs. Salmon.
(b) Miss Bradley.
(c) Mrs. Kirk.
(d) Mrs. Varley.
5. Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 19, “I hate ecstasy, Dionysic or any other. It's like going round in” what?
(a) “A car tire.”
(b) “A Ferris wheel.”
(c) “A bathtub drain.”
(d) “A squirrel cage.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Winifred leaves for a few days in London with whom after her father’s funeral in Chapter 24?
2. How many rings does Birkin give to Ursula when he asks her to take a drive with him in Chapter 23?
3. Discussing Loerke, Gerald asks Gudrun in Chapter 30, “What makes you so smitten with that little” what?
4. Ursula tells Hermione in Chapter 22, “I think it is degrading not to be” what?
5. What is the title of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the relationships in the novel as presented through the conversation of Gerald and Birkin in Chapter 25?
2. What conversation takes place between Birkin and Ursula by the pond in the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. What takes place between Birkin and Gerald in Chapter 20?
4. What are Ursula and Gudrun’s impressions of Herr Loerke in Chapter 29?
5. Who do Ursula, Birkin, Gerald and Gudrun meet at the inn in Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
6. What is Gudrun’s response when Loerke asks where she will go next in Chapter 30?
7. Why do Ursula and Birkin give away a chair in Chapter 26? To whom do they give the chair?
8. What does Gudrun remark to Gerald of the sunset in Chapter 30?
9. What causes the fight between Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 23? What takes place during the fight?
10. Why do Ursula and Birkin leave the inn at Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)