|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ursula’s father is described in Chapter 19 as being nearly what age?
2. What word does Gudrun use to mean “soldier of fortune” in Chapter 27?
3. After meeting up in Innsbruck, Gerald, Gudrun, Birkin, and Ursula descend at the tiny railroad station where in Chapter 29?
(b) St. Petersburg.
4. Winifred leaves for a few days in London with whom after her father’s funeral in Chapter 24?
5. Birkin tells Gerald in Chapter 25, “One should avoid this HOME instinct. It’s not an instinct, it’s a habit of” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 24, “When Gudrun heard that Mr. Crich was dead, she felt” what?
2. What is the title of Chapter 20?
3. What is the title of Chapter 28?
4. By what nickname does Mr. Crich call Winifred in Chapter 21?
5. Of the inn that the two couples stay at in Chapter 29, Ursula thinks, “It had reminded Ursula again of home, of the Marsh, of her childhood, and of the journey to Brussels, and, strangely, of” whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ursula and Gudrun’s impressions of Herr Loerke in Chapter 29?
2. What are Ursula’s impressions as she leaves England for Continental Europe in Chapter 29? Where does she meet Gudrun?
3. What destructive characteristics are foreshadowed in the relationship between Gerald and Gudrun in Chapter 24?
4. What is Gudrun’s response when Loerke asks where she will go next in Chapter 30?
5. How does the relationship between Gudrun and Gerald begin to change after the departure of Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 30?
6. What is related in the letter that Gudrun receives in the beginning of Chapter 21?
7. How is the encounter between Gerald and Gudrun described after the death of Mr. Crich in Chapter 24?
8. What conversation takes place between Birkin and Ursula by the pond in the beginning of Chapter 19?
9. What do Ursula and Gerald discuss when they see one another after Ursula has married Birkin in Chapter 27?
10. What takes place between Birkin and Gerald in Chapter 20?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)