|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hermione say she will go for the winter while having tea at Birkin’s in Chapter 22?
2. Where do Gudrun and Gerald set off for, where they will meet Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 28?
3. Gudrun says that Fanny Bath is “frightfully in love” with what painter in Chapter 29?
(a) Billy McFarlane.
(b) Thomas Crich.
(c) William Brangwen.
(d) Lloyd George.
4. By what nickname does Gudrun frequently call her sister in the novel?
5. According to the author in Chapter 26, there was a jumble in the old market place in town every afternoon on what day of the week?
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose home does Gudrun ask Birkin to stop so she can drop the key off in Chapter 27?
2. Gerald says his black and green silk robe was a caftan where in Chapter 20?
3. What sport is Gerald said to love but that Gudrun does not practice in Chapter 30?
4. What does Ursula’s father do during the argument after she announces she will get married tomorrow in Chapter 27?
5. Gudrun states in Chapter 30, “Of course, life doesn’t really matter – it’s one’s” what “which is central”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ursula first see Birkin in Chapter 19? What is he doing?
2. What gift does Birkin give to Ursula in Chapter 23? Why?
3. Why do Ursula and Birkin leave the inn at Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
4. What is Birkin’s response to the situation when he and Ursula return to the inn in Chapter 31?
5. What do Ursula and Gerald discuss when they see one another after Ursula has married Birkin in Chapter 27?
6. How does Ursula respond when Birkin asks her to marry him in front of her father in Chapter 19?
7. How does the illness of Mr. Crich influence the atmosphere and actions of the narrative in Chapter 21?
8. What conversation takes place between Birkin and Ursula by the pond in the beginning of Chapter 19?
9. How does the relationship between Gudrun and Gerald begin to change after the departure of Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 30?
10. What are Ursula and Gudrun’s impressions of Herr Loerke in Chapter 29?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)