|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What servant does Ursula recall in Chapter 29, “who used to give her bread and butter sprinkled with brown sugar, in the old living-room where the grandfather clock had two pink roses in a basket painted above the figures on the face”?
2. Where do Ursula and Birkin stop during their train journey for half an hour for breakfast in Chapter 29?
3. What gemstone does Ursula worry is unlucky in Chapter 23?
4. Why does Hermione say she’s been away in Chapter 22?
(a) To see her father.
(b) To get married.
(c) For her health.
(d) To perform in a play.
5. What is the name of Birkin’s landlady who answers the door to Ursula in Chapter 27?
(a) Miss Bradley.
(b) Mrs. Kirk.
(c) Mrs. Varley.
(d) Mrs. Salmon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of Gerald, the narrator states in Chapter 25, “There was a numbness upon him, a numbness either of unborn, absent volition, or of” what?
2. What is the title of Chapter 28?
3. Birkin tells Gerald in Chapter 25, “One should avoid this HOME instinct. It’s not an instinct, it’s a habit of” what?
4. What does Ursula bring to Birkin when she walks back to the car after storming off in Chapter 23?
5. After Gudrun announces to Loerke that she and Gerald aren’t married in Chapter 30, Gerald gets up and goes to discuss what writer and artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ursula’s impression of the photo of artwork of Loerke’s shown to her in Chapter 29?
2. How does the relationship between Gudrun and Gerald begin to change after the departure of Ursula and Birkin in Chapter 30?
3. How does Gudrun respond to Gerald’s socializing with the Germans at the inn in Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
4. What do Ursula and Gerald discuss when they see one another after Ursula has married Birkin in Chapter 27?
5. How does the illness of Mr. Crich influence the atmosphere and actions of the narrative in Chapter 21?
6. What does Gerald do when he encounters Gudrun and Loerke talking in the snow in Chapter 30?
7. Why do Ursula and Birkin leave the inn at Hohenhausen in Chapter 29?
8. Where do Ursula and Gudrun go together in Chapter 27? What do they discuss while there?
9. What is Birkin’s response to the situation when he and Ursula return to the inn in Chapter 31?
10. What is significant about the relationships in the novel as presented through the conversation of Gerald and Birkin in Chapter 25?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)