|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Gerald’s sisters falls into the lake in Chapter 14?
2. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(c) “A Chair.”
3. What is the name of Halliday’s Hindu servant in Chapter 6?
4. What is the title of Chapter 18?
5. Where does Gudrun tell Gerald she had a canoe before at the party in Chapter 14?
(c) Willey Water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gudrun and Ursula row their canoe across the lake to bathe and picnic by a grove of what type of trees in Chapter 14?
2. What city does Gudrun consider to be “dry, and essentially boring” in Chapter 17?
3. What is Hermione’s last name in the novel?
4. What is the name of Birkin’s friend who has a crowd of hangers-on in London?
5. What word from Chapter 9 refers to a coalmine, including all the buildings and equipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical conflict takes place between Hermione and Birkin in Chapter 8?
2. What changes does Gerald make in his father’s business in Chapter 17?
3. What takes place at the party at Breadalby after dinner in Chapter 8?
4. What are Gudrun and Ursula’s impressions of the Crich party when they arrive in Chapter 14? What do they do after arriving there?
5. How does Ursula respond to Birkin’s visit to her home while her family is at church in Chapter 15?
6. Why does Gudrun punch Gerald in the face in Chapter 14? What does this action signify in the narrative?
7. What is symbolized by Gudrun’s incident with Winifred’s rabbit, Bismarck, in Chapter 18?
8. Who visits Ursula’s classroom in Chapter 3? Why?
9. What happens with the Mino cat in Chapter 13? What does this symbolize?
10. How is Birkin’s philosophical view of human nature illustrated in Chapter 2?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)