|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rupert Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 11, “Man is one of the mistakes of creation—like” what?
(a) “The ichthyosauri.”
(b) “The Phoenix.”
(c) “The Cyclops.”
(d) “The tyrannosaurus.”
2. What is the name of the man that Hermione is courted by in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Billy McFarlane.
(b) Rupert Birkin.
(c) William Brangwen.
(d) Lloyd George.
3. Who is described as the only one of his children that Gerald’s father had loved in Chapter 17?
4. Gudrun develops a scheme to go where to stay with a friend who is a fellow sculptor in Chapter 17?
(d) St. Petersburg.
5. Breadalby is described in Chapter 8 as “standing among the softer, greener hills of” where?
Short Answer Questions
1. The groom tells the wedding guests at the reception that he was late for what reason in Chapter 2?
2. What kind of dance movements does Gudrun dance while Ursula sings after their lakeside picnic in Chapter 14?
3. Gerald Crich’s mother is repeatedly compared to what type of bird in Chapter 17?
4. Which of Gerald’s sisters falls into the lake in Chapter 14?
5. What is Birkin’s answer in Chapter 11 when Ursula asks him, “Then why do you care about people at all if you don't believe in love? Why do you bother about humanity?”
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Hermione’s appearance in Chapter 10?
2. How would you describe the author’s narrative style as established in Chapter 1? How does this narrative style relate to the author’s characterizations?
3. What is symbolized by Ursula’s challenge to Birkin regarding Hermione furnishing his rooms in Chapter 12?
4. How does Ursula’s demeanor change after the Crich party in Chapter 15?
5. What do Birkin and Gerald discuss regarding Winifred in Chapter 16?
6. What physical conflict takes place between Hermione and Birkin in Chapter 8?
7. What takes place at the party at Breadalby after dinner in Chapter 8?
8. What information about Gerald’s past does Ursula relate to Gudrun in Chapter 4?
9. How is Birkin’s philosophical view of human nature illustrated in Chapter 2?
10. What changes does Gerald make in his father’s business in Chapter 17?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)