|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the electrician that Gudrun befriends at the market in Chapter 9?
2. What is the last name of Ursula and Gudrun in the novel?
3. What word from Chapter 9 refers to a coalmine, including all the buildings and equipment?
4. Ursula and Gudrun are having a discussion in their father’s house located where in Chapter 1?
5. Of the African sculpture of a woman giving birth, Gerald asks “Why is it art?” What is Birkin’s reply?
(a) “It is an example of real life.”
(b) “It conveys a complete truth.”
(c) “It shows people at their most vulnerable.”
(d) “It displays a common experience.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Birkin tells Gerald in Chapter 16 that his sister shouldn’t be sent away to school because only what kind of children should be sent to school?
2. What word from Chapter 15 means adverse in tendency or effect; unfriendly; hostile?
3. Of Gerald’s parents, the narrator says in Chapter 17 that their relationship “was wordless and unknown, but it was deep, awful, a relation of utter” what?
4. What is Halliday’s first name in the novel?
5. What is the name of the school where Ursula teaches in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gudrun punch Gerald in the face in Chapter 14? What does this action signify in the narrative?
2. How does the narrator characterize Mr. Crich’s relationship with his wife in Chapter 17?
3. What conversation does Ursula have with Mrs. Kirk in Chapter 17? Why does she see Mrs. Kirk?
4. What physical conflict takes place between Hermione and Birkin in Chapter 8?
5. What information about Gerald’s past does Ursula relate to Gudrun in Chapter 4?
6. What do Birkin and Gerald discuss regarding Winifred in Chapter 16?
7. How would you describe the author’s narrative style as established in Chapter 1? How does this narrative style relate to the author’s characterizations?
8. How do Ursula and Gudrun feel about their stay at Breadalby in the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. What happens with the Mino cat in Chapter 13? What does this symbolize?
10. What is significant about the author’s depiction of Birkin’s friends in London in Chapter 6?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)