|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drops Gudrun’s drawings into the water in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Gerald compare himself to Cain in Chapter 14?
(a) He killed his brother as a child.
(b) He married his mother.
(c) He killed his mother as a child.
(d) He killed his father as a young man.
3. What is the name of Gerald Crich’s mother in the novel?
4. Of Gerald’s parents, the narrator says in Chapter 17 that their relationship “was wordless and unknown, but it was deep, awful, a relation of utter” what?
5. What is the name of the servant who accompanies Winifred when she meets Gudrun in Chapter 18?
(c) Miss Inglis.
Short Answer Questions
1. The groom tells the wedding guests at the reception that he was late for what reason in Chapter 2?
2. Who jumps in to save Gerald’s sister from drowning in Chapter 14?
3. What word from Chapter 9 refers to a coalmine, including all the buildings and equipment?
4. What is the name of the man that Hermione is courted by in the beginning of the novel?
5. What gentleman at the wedding in Chapter 1 does Gudrun immediately find attractive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristic stands out among the main characters of Women in Love as they are introduced in Chapter 1?
2. What changes does Gerald make in his father’s business in Chapter 17?
3. What thoughts consume Birkin as he remains ill and at home in the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. What information about Gerald’s past does Ursula relate to Gudrun in Chapter 4?
5. How does the narrator characterize Mr. Crich’s relationship with his wife in Chapter 17?
6. How does Ursula respond to Birkin’s visit to her home while her family is at church in Chapter 15?
7. Who visits Ursula’s classroom in Chapter 3? Why?
8. What takes place at the party at Breadalby after dinner in Chapter 8?
9. Who falls into the lake at the Crich party in Chapter 14? What is the outcome of this situation?
10. How is Birkin’s philosophical view of human nature illustrated in Chapter 2?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)