|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Birkin exclaims to Ursula in the marketplace in Chapter 26, “It is all possessions, possessions, bullying you and turning you into” what?
(a) “An anomaly.”
(b) “A standardization.”
(c) “A generalization.”
(d) “A statistic.”
2. Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 26, “Now my rooms at the Mill are quite complete, I want them” where?
(a) “Overlooking the river.”
(b) “On top of the mountain.”
(c) “Beside the bay.”
(d) “At the bottom of the sea.”
3. What kind of cap is described in Chapter 29 as “a close brown-velvet head with big brown velvet flaps down over his ears”?
(a) A Westphalian cap.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A newsboy cap.
(d) A beret.
4. Birkin tells Gerald in Chapter 20, “There are three cures for ennui: sleep, drink,” and what?
5. What does Ursula’s father do during the argument after she announces she will get married tomorrow in Chapter 27?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He gives her a kiss.
(c) He calls his mother.
(d) He storms out of the house.
6. What servant does Ursula recall in Chapter 29, “who used to give her bread and butter sprinkled with brown sugar, in the old living-room where the grandfather clock had two pink roses in a basket painted above the figures on the face”?
7. Where do Birkin and Ursula stop to spend the night in the car in Chapter 23?
(b) Sherwood Forest.
(c) Willey Water.
8. Why does Hermione say she’s been away in Chapter 22?
(a) To perform in a play.
(b) For her health.
(c) To see her father.
(d) To get married.
9. Gudrun says that Fanny Bath is “frightfully in love” with what painter in Chapter 29?
(a) William Brangwen.
(b) Thomas Crich.
(c) Lloyd George.
(d) Billy McFarlane.
10. What does Gudrun teach Winifred in the novel?
(a) Ballet and acting.
(b) Piano lessons.
(c) Drawing and sculpting.
(d) Sewing and decorating.
11. What is the name of the patriarch of the Brangwen family?
(a) Thomas Brangwen.
(b) William Brangwen.
(c) Peter Brangwen.
(d) Paul Brangwen.
12. What is the name of Herr Loerke’s companion that asks Gudrun to dance at the inn in Chapter 29?
(b) Herr Leitner.
13. What is the name of the estate belonging to the Crich family?
14. What song is Ursula persuaded to sing for the company at the inn in Chapter 29?
(a) “Bluebells of Scotland.”
(b) “Annie Lowrie.”
(c) “Old Scotia.”
(d) “Flowers ‘O the Forest.”
15. Ursula tells Hermione in Chapter 22, “I think it is degrading not to be” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ursula refers to a robin that she and her sister encounter on their walk in Chapter 19 as a little who “of the air”?
2. Who does the Professor at the inn say “was giving us a recitation in the Cologne dialect” in Chapter 29?
3. Ursula’s father is described in Chapter 19 as being nearly what age?
4. What does Ursula bring to Birkin when she walks back to the car after storming off in Chapter 23?
5. Of England, Birkin says in Chapter 29, “It's a great actual unreality now, an aggregation into unreality. It might be real, if there were no” what?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)