|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gerald asks Birkin if he’s ever participated in what sport in Chapter 20?
2. What kind of cap is described in Chapter 29 as “a close brown-velvet head with big brown velvet flaps down over his ears”?
(a) A newsboy cap.
(b) A Westphalian cap.
(c) A beret.
(d) A fedora.
3. What is the name of the patriarch of the Brangwen family?
(a) Peter Brangwen.
(b) William Brangwen.
(c) Thomas Brangwen.
(d) Paul Brangwen.
4. Birkin tells Gerald in Chapter 20, “There are three cures for ennui: sleep, drink,” and what?
5. What kind of factory stands over the shops and houses in the poor quarter of town where the old market place is located in Chapter 26?
(a) A carpet factory.
(b) A hosiery factory.
(c) A candy factory.
(d) An automobile factory.
6. What does Gudrun teach Winifred in the novel?
(a) Sewing and decorating.
(b) Drawing and sculpting.
(c) Ballet and acting.
(d) Piano lessons.
7. According to the author in Chapter 26, there was a jumble in the old market place in town every afternoon on what day of the week?
8. What sport is Gerald said to love but that Gudrun does not practice in Chapter 30?
(c) Ice skating.
9. Discussing Loerke, Gerald asks Gudrun in Chapter 30, “What makes you so smitten with that little” what?
10. By what nickname does Mr. Crich call Winifred in Chapter 21?
11. When Ursula tells Hermione that Birkin wants her to sink herself and not to have any being of her own, Hermione responds, “Then why doesn’t he marry” what?
(a) “A concubine.”
(b) “A mime.”
(c) “An odalisk.”
(d) “An invalid.”
12. Loerke says to Gudrun in Chapter 30, “Women and love – there is no greater” what?
13. The funeral for Mr. Crich is described as being what in Chapter 24?
14. Who is Gerald’s brother that he first tells that their father died in Chapter 24?
15. At whose home does Gudrun ask Birkin to stop so she can drop the key off in Chapter 27?
(a) The Peters’.
(b) The Coulsons’.
(c) The Andersons’.
(d) The Mulleys’.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ursula tells Hermione in Chapter 22, “I think it is degrading not to be” what?
2. The narrator says in Chapter 30 that Gudrun and Loerke “talked in a mixture of languages. The ground-work was” what?
3. Ursula’s father is described in Chapter 19 as being nearly what age?
4. Who answers the door when Birkin goes to the Brangwen home in Chapter 19?
5. With what friend does Hermione say she will stay with for the winter in Chapter 22?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)