|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 24, “When Gudrun heard that Mr. Crich was dead, she felt” what?
2. By what nickname does Mr. Crich call Winifred in Chapter 21?
3. Where do Birkin and Ursula stop to spend the night in the car in Chapter 23?
(c) Willey Water.
(d) Sherwood Forest.
4. What is the title of Chapter 26?
(c) “A Chair.”
5. What is the name of Herr Loerke’s companion that asks Gudrun to dance at the inn in Chapter 29?
(c) Herr Leitner.
6. What dance is described in Chapter 29 as “the Tyrolese dance of the clapping hands and tossing the partner in the air at the crisis”?
(a) The Schuhplatteln.
(b) The Polka.
(c) The Landler.
(d) The Waltz.
7. Who does the Professor at the inn say “was giving us a recitation in the Cologne dialect” in Chapter 29?
(b) Herr Loerke.
8. Gudrun states in Chapter 30, “Of course, life doesn’t really matter – it’s one’s” what “which is central”?
9. Where do Ursula and Birkin drive to have high tea in Chapter 23?
(a) Piccadilly Circus.
(c) Southwell Minster.
10. Where does Hermione say she will go for the winter while having tea at Birkin’s in Chapter 22?
11. Who is Gerald’s brother that he first tells that their father died in Chapter 24?
12. What does Winifred fret over giving Gudrun when she arrives in Chapter 21?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A plate of food.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A book of poetry.
13. Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 19, “I hate ecstasy, Dionysic or any other. It's like going round in” what?
(a) “A squirrel cage.”
(b) “A car tire.”
(c) “A bathtub drain.”
(d) “A Ferris wheel.”
14. Winifred leaves for a few days in London with whom after her father’s funeral in Chapter 24?
15. The narrator states in Chapter 30, “When Ursula had gone, Gudrun felt her own existence had become” what?
(a) “Lonely and mournful.”
(b) “Stark and elemental.”
(c) “Bright and free.”
(d) “Raw and sensitive.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Herr Loerke says in Chapter 30, “The English, I thought they were so” what?
2. What word does Gudrun use to mean “soldier of fortune” in Chapter 27?
3. What song is Ursula persuaded to sing for the company at the inn in Chapter 29?
4. What is the title of Chapter 24?
5. What does Ursula’s father do during the argument after she announces she will get married tomorrow in Chapter 27?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)