|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ursula bring to Birkin when she walks back to the car after storming off in Chapter 23?
(a) A stone.
(b) A flower.
(c) A leaf.
(d) A pinecone.
2. The narrator says in Chapter 30 that Gudrun and Loerke “talked in a mixture of languages. The ground-work was” what?
3. Of Gerald, the narrator states in Chapter 25, “There was a numbness upon him, a numbness either of unborn, absent volition, or of” what?
4. After Gudrun announces to Loerke that she and Gerald aren’t married in Chapter 30, Gerald gets up and goes to discuss what writer and artist?
5. Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 26, “Now my rooms at the Mill are quite complete, I want them” where?
(a) “At the bottom of the sea.”
(b) “Beside the bay.”
(c) “On top of the mountain.”
(d) “Overlooking the river.”
6. What is the title of Chapter 27?
(a) “A Chair.”
(d) “Crème de Menthe.”
7. Where do Birkin and Ursula stop to spend the night in the car in Chapter 23?
(a) Sherwood Forest.
(d) Willey Water.
8. Ursula tells Gudrun in Chapter 29 that “Herr Loerke is doing a great frieze for a factory” where?
(a) “In Paris.”
(b) “In Brussels.”
(c) “In Florence.”
(d) “In Cologne.”
9. The funeral for Mr. Crich is described as being what in Chapter 24?
10. What kind of cap is described in Chapter 29 as “a close brown-velvet head with big brown velvet flaps down over his ears”?
(a) A beret.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A Westphalian cap.
(d) A newsboy cap.
11. Herr Loerke says in Chapter 30, “The English, I thought they were so” what?
12. Where does Hermione say she’s been away in Chapter 22?
13. What is the name of Herr Loerke’s companion that asks Gudrun to dance at the inn in Chapter 29?
(a) Herr Leitner.
14. Of what historical figure does Gudrun think in Chapter 30, “must have been an artist; she reaped the essential from a man, she harvested the ultimate sensation, and threw away the husk”?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
15. Gudrun says that Fanny Bath is “frightfully in love” with what painter in Chapter 29?
(a) Thomas Crich.
(b) Lloyd George.
(c) William Brangwen.
(d) Billy McFarlane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the river in Greek mythology that forms the boundary between the world of the living and the underworld?
2. What is the title of Chapter 23?
3. Who dies in the end of Women in Love?
4. Where is Gudrun away having a showing of her work in the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. What is the name of the patriarch of the Brangwen family?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)