|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The funeral for Mr. Crich is described as being what in Chapter 24?
2. What is the name of Birkin’s landlady who answers the door to Ursula in Chapter 27?
(a) Miss Bradley.
(b) Mrs. Kirk.
(c) Mrs. Varley.
(d) Mrs. Salmon.
3. What is the title of Chapter 26?
(b) “A Chair.”
4. What is the name of the estate belonging to the Crich family?
5. What servant does Ursula recall in Chapter 29, “who used to give her bread and butter sprinkled with brown sugar, in the old living-room where the grandfather clock had two pink roses in a basket painted above the figures on the face”?
6. Gudrun asks Gerald in Chapter 30, “Don't you think the understanding of a flea is more interesting than the understanding of a” what?
7. What is the title of Chapter 27?
(a) “A Chair.”
(b) “Crème de Menthe.”
8. Gerald asks Birkin if he’s ever participated in what sport in Chapter 20?
9. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) “Gudrun in the Pompadour.”
(c) “Sunday Evening.”
(d) “Crème de Menthe.”
10. What sport is Gerald said to love but that Gudrun does not practice in Chapter 30?
(b) Ice skating.
11. After meeting up in Innsbruck, Gerald, Gudrun, Birkin, and Ursula descend at the tiny railroad station where in Chapter 29?
(c) St. Petersburg.
12. Birkin tells Gerald that he’s like whom in Chapter 25 because he argues the concept of marriage like a lawyer?
(a) Lord Bacon.
(b) King George.
(c) Francis Scott Key.
(d) Andrew Walker.
13. Birkin exclaims to Ursula in the marketplace in Chapter 26, “It is all possessions, possessions, bullying you and turning you into” what?
(a) “An anomaly.”
(b) “A standardization.”
(c) “A statistic.”
(d) “A generalization.”
14. Of Herr Loerke, the narrator says in Chapter 30, “He hated Mestrovic, was not satisfied with” whom?
(a) “The Absurdists.”
(b) “The Dadaists.”
(c) “The Surrealists.”
(d) “The Futurists.”
15. Where do Birkin and Ursula stop to spend the night in the car in Chapter 23?
(c) Willey Water.
(d) Sherwood Forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 30 that Gudrun and Loerke “talked in a mixture of languages. The ground-work was” what?
2. After Gudrun announces to Loerke that she and Gerald aren’t married in Chapter 30, Gerald gets up and goes to discuss what writer and artist?
3. Herr Loerke says in Chapter 30, “The English, I thought they were so” what?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 29, Ursula had not felt herself after the meeting with her parents and “did not really come to until she was on the ship crossing from Dover to” where?
5. What is Herr Loerke’s answer when Gudrun asks him in Chapter 29, “And do you think then that art should serve industry?”
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)