|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Gerald Crich that she hated him for how he treated his horse the other day in Chapter 12?
2. Of Birkin, the narrator says in Chapter 16 that he hated what “even worse than marriage”?
3. Breadalby is described in Chapter 8 as “standing among the softer, greener hills of” where?
4. Pussum tells Gerald when they meet in Chapter 6 that she’s not afraid of anything except for what?
(a) Gray sharks.
(b) Brown bats.
(c) Black beetles.
(d) Red spiders.
5. Rupert Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 11, “Man is one of the mistakes of creation—like” what?
(a) “The tyrannosaurus.”
(b) “The Cyclops.”
(c) “The Phoenix.”
(d) “The ichthyosauri.”
6. Rupert Birkin comes to Ursula’s classroom and helps teach the students how to draw what in Chapter 3?
(b) Birch trees.
(d) Pine cones.
7. What is the name of the chief mine-owner in the district where Ursula and Gudrun grew up in the novel?
(a) Lord Bacon.
(b) Billy McFarlane.
(c) Thomas Crich.
(d) William Brangwen.q
8. What gentleman at the wedding in Chapter 1 does Gudrun immediately find attractive?
(a) Gerald Crich.
(b) Lloyd George.
(c) Lord Bacon.
(d) Herr Loerke.
9. Ursula and Gudrun set out for a walk where in Chapter 4?
(a) St. Petersburg.
(b) Sherwood Forest.
(c) Willey Water.
10. Who is described as the only one of his children that Gerald’s father had loved in Chapter 17?
11. What song does Ursula sing after she and Gudrun finish their tea-picnic by the lake in Chapter 14?
(a) “Mac Flecknoe.”
(b) “Annchen von Tharau.”
(d) “Ye Little Birds that Sit and Sing.”
12. Where has Hermione asked Ursula and Gudrun to come visit her and spend a few days in Chapter 4?
13. When Ursula and Rupert Birkin take a punt to the island of the pond in Chapter 11, he says of the “jungle of rank plants,” “I shall mow this down, and then it will be romantic—like” what?
(a) “Cleopatra and Marc Anthony.”
(b) “Romeo and Juliet.”
(c) “Odysseus and Penelope.”
(d) “Paul et Virginie.”
14. Breadalby is described as a house of what architectural style?
15. How much money does Gudrun have “of which nobody knew anything” in Chapter 17?
(a) 100 pounds.
(b) 20 pounds.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 70 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name is the laborers wife at the mill called in Chapter 12?
2. Who jumps in to save Gerald’s sister from drowning in Chapter 14?
3. What is the title of Chapter 17?
4. What is the name of Gerald Crich’s mother in the novel?
5. How long does Pussum say she’s known she was pregnant when speaking with Gerald in Chapter 6?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)