|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Breadalby is described as a house of what architectural style?
2. Of Birkin, the narrator says in Chapter 16 that he hated what “even worse than marriage”?
3. Who is described as the only one of his children that Gerald’s father had loved in Chapter 17?
4. When Ursula and Rupert Birkin take a punt to the island of the pond in Chapter 11, he says of the “jungle of rank plants,” “I shall mow this down, and then it will be romantic—like” what?
(a) “Cleopatra and Marc Anthony.”
(b) “Odysseus and Penelope.”
(c) “Romeo and Juliet.”
(d) “Paul et Virginie.”
5. Who prepares to take on the role of hostess from her mother at the Crich water-party in Chapter 14?
(a) Diana Crich.
(b) Laura Crich.
(c) Michelle Crich.
(d) Sarah Crich.
6. Rupert Birkin tells Ursula in Chapter 11, “Man is one of the mistakes of creation—like” what?
(a) “The ichthyosauri.”
(b) “The tyrannosaurus.”
(c) “The Cyclops.”
(d) “The Phoenix.”
7. Both Gudrun and Ursula wear dresses of what color crepe to the water-party in Chapter 14?
8. How is the horse described that Gerald Crich is riding when he meets Ursula and Gudrun by the railroad tracks in Chapter 9?
(a) “A red Arab mare.”
(b) “A white Falabella stallion.”
(c) “A palomino Quarter Horse mare.”
(d) “A black Fjord Horse stallion.”
9. Breadalby is described in Chapter 8 as “standing among the softer, greener hills of” where?
10. What are the names of the children that Ursula is watching when Birkin comes to her home in Chapter 15?
(a) Sally and Sarah.
(b) Andrew and Peter.
(c) Rupert and William.
(d) Billy and Dora.
11. Ursula thinks of Birkin’s eyes in Chapter 15 as having “such a dark, constant will of” what?
12. Ursula and Gudrun set out for a walk where in Chapter 4?
(b) Sherwood Forest.
(c) St. Petersburg.
(d) Willey Water.
13. Where does Birkin say Gerald went exploring after fighting in the last war when he introduces him to Pussum in Chapter 6?
(b) The Amazon.
(d) The Sahara.
14. Of Gerald’s parents, the narrator says in Chapter 17 that their relationship “was wordless and unknown, but it was deep, awful, a relation of utter” what?
15. What is the title of Chapter 12?
(a) “The Industrial Magnate.”
(b) “A Chair.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 6?
2. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, Gerald had refused to go to what school, instead choosing a German university?
3. What word from Chapter 15 means pertaining to time or concerned with the worldly?
4. Rupert Birkin keeps rooms in what town because most of his work lay chiefly there in Chapter 5?
5. The woman who sells honey to Gudrun in Chapter 17 tells her that she left being a servant in the Crich household when Gerald was how old?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)