|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 17, Gerald had refused to go to what school, instead choosing a German university?
(c) The University of London.
(d) The University of Leeds.
2. Who drops Gudrun’s drawings into the water in Chapter 10?
3. Gudrun and Ursula row their canoe across the lake to bathe and picnic by a grove of what type of trees in Chapter 14?
(a) Beech trees.
(b) Cedar trees.
(c) Pine trees.
(d) Cottonwood trees.
4. The narrator says of Birkin in Chapter 16, “He wanted sex to revert to the level of the other appetites, to be regarded as a functional process, not as” what?
(a) “A procurement.”
(b) “A fulfillment.”
(c) “A commitment.”
(d) “A resentment.”
5. By what name is the laborers wife at the mill called in Chapter 12?
(a) Mrs. Crich.
(b) Mrs. Kirk.
(c) Mrs. Varley.
(d) Mrs. Salmon.
6. What is Hermione’s last name in the novel?
7. What word from Chapter 15 means adverse in tendency or effect; unfriendly; hostile?
8. Ursula and Gudrun are having a discussion in their father’s house located where in Chapter 1?
9. When Gerald awakens to find Halliday and others sitting naked by the fire in Chapter 7, he compares Halliday as being “like Christ in a” what?
10. Who prepares to take on the role of hostess from her mother at the Crich water-party in Chapter 14?
(a) Michelle Crich.
(b) Laura Crich.
(c) Sarah Crich.
(d) Diana Crich.
11. Who do Gudrun and Ursula go to in Willey Green to buy honey from in Chapter 17?
(a) Mrs. Kirk.
(b) Mrs. Salmon.
(c) Miss Inglis.
(d) Miss Bradley.
12. Pussum tells Gerald when they meet in Chapter 6 that she’s not afraid of anything except for what?
(a) Brown bats.
(b) Red spiders.
(c) Gray sharks.
(d) Black beetles.
13. What is the cat referred to that encounters a stray in Chapter 13?
(a) The Harp cat.
(b) The Theo cat.
(c) The Mino cat.
(d) The Berry cat.
14. When Ursula and Rupert Birkin take a punt to the island of the pond in Chapter 11, he says of the “jungle of rank plants,” “I shall mow this down, and then it will be romantic—like” what?
(a) “Cleopatra and Marc Anthony.”
(b) “Paul et Virginie.”
(c) “Odysseus and Penelope.”
(d) “Romeo and Juliet.”
15. What is the name of Gerald’s youngest sister in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Hermione is courted by in the beginning of the novel?
2. What gentleman at the wedding in Chapter 1 does Gudrun immediately find attractive?
3. When Birkin says he’ll quit his job and live without humanity in Chapter 11, Ursula asks him if he has enough money to live on. How much does Birkin respond that he receives per year?
4. What is the title of Chapter 12?
5. Birkin says in Chapter 16 that “every true artist is the salvation of” what?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)