• In Chapter 1, Gudrun Brangwen is back from her travels, visiting her sister Ursula at their parents' home in Beldover; they are talking about marriage, and neither one of them can imagine marrying.
• Gudrun and Ursula go to a wedding of one of the younger Crich girls, and they have an aversion to the commoners who gather for the spectacle.
• At the church, the Criches all arrive, with Rupert Birkin, and Hermione; Gudrun is moved by the sight of Gerald, and Ursula is moved by Birkin.
• Gudrun asks Ursula what she thinks of Rupert Birkin, and she says it's appalling how he gives himself to everyone. "One must discriminate," Gudrun says.
• In Chapter 2, at the wedding reception at Shortlands, Birkin makes a point of taking care of Mrs. Crich, who is put out by so many strangers being in her house.
• Gerald and Hermione begin a conversation...
This section contains 2,600 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)