|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of memories does Connie have that make her think letting children into the wilds alone is a bad idea?
2. Where do the children in Luciente's community live?
3. When Connie leaves Luciente, what meal does she prepare at home?
4. What is the name of the building where everyone in Luciente's community eats?
5. When Bee's child emerges from the wilds, what will she have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Connie confused about the naming ritual Innocente is going to undergo?
2. What events does Chapter 2 narrate?
3. When Connie firsts sees Dawn, what happens?
4. How did Connie lose Angelina?
5. What are the living arrangements for adults in Luciente's community?
6. Why might the author draw the parallel between Angelina and Dawn so closely?
7. What is ironic about the seasons changing from winter to spring in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the closeness of Luciente's community with nature.
9. When Connie begins to think of Angelina as a "canned child," what happens to her?
10. What is "inknowing?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Connie and Luciente's ideas of freedom differ? Support your answer using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is Connie insane or are her experience with the future real? Provide support for your answer by using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Shapers? What is their importance to the story? How are the Shapers of the present and future similar and different? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)