|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the town where Cleofilas grew up, the narrator says “there isn’t very much to do except accompany the aunts and godmothers to the house of one or the other to” do what?
2. What is the name of Cleofilas’ son in the story?
3. Where was Sandra Cisneros born?
4. Cleofilas has doubts about her husband’s fidelity when she finds what arranged in the bathroom a different way?
5. What is the full name of Juan Pedro in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleofilas compare Juan Pedro to the male stars of the telenovelas?
2. What differences does Cleofilas find when she returns home after giving birth to her son?
3. How is Cleofilas’ laughter described at the end of the story? What does the laughter symbolize?
4. Where does Cleofilas find and develop strength in order to pursue her escape in the story?
5. What does Felice do when she drives past Woman Hollering Creek in the narrative? How does Cleofilas respond?
6. What are Cleofilas’ feelings about the character of Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. How is the myth of La Llorona described historically? What character is La Llorona similar to in the telenovelas described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
8. Cleofilas believes that the town of Seguin was built in such a way as to keep women dependent in what way?
9. What arrangements do Graciela and Felice make over the phone in the story? What urgency is illustrated in their plan?
10. How does the narrative transition when describing Cleofilas’ courtship with Juan Pedro? What expectations does Cleofilas illustrate here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reality versus Fantasy in “Woman Hollering Creek”
a. Describe and discuss the various fantasies that Cleofilas engages in throughout the story. What do these fantasies revolve around? How do they compare with fantasies of your own?
b. Describe the realities of marriage and living in the United States for Cleofilas in the narrative. In what ways is Cleofilas isolated and alienated in this setting? How does her reality differ from her fantasies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the mythology of La Llorona and its symbolic significance in “Woman Hollering Creek.” Why does the author choose to use allusion to this myth? How does the myth relate to the story’s themes? How do the characters of each story relate?
Essay Topic 3
Define “protagonist” in narrative literature and develop a list of the qualities a protagonist possesses. What indications does the author give that Cleofilas is the protagonist of “Woman Hollering Creek” in the beginning of the narrative? What are Cleofilas’ strengths as a protagonist? What are her weaknesses?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)