|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Cleofilas sits by the creek with her son in the beginning of the story, she thinks “How when a man and a woman love each other, sometimes that love” does what?
2. In the second section of the story, the narrator speaks in direct address to the reader, asking “Did you watch last night’s episode of” what show?
3. Where does Cleofilas find Juan Pedro’s whiskers every morning?
4. What word from the story means “creek” in Spanish?
5. What is one of the central themes in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does Cleofilas find when she returns home after giving birth to her son?
2. What is the significance of the title of “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. What is significant about the names “Felice,” “Graciela,” and “Cleofilas” in the story? What meanings do these names have?
4. How is the theme of silence versus sound illustrated in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
5. How does the narrative style of the story transition with the introduction of Graciela’s character?
6. How does Cleofilas compare romantic love to the love between parent and child?
7. What arrangements do Graciela and Felice make over the phone in the story? What urgency is illustrated in their plan?
8. In what ways does the story “Woman Hollering Creek” reflect the life of author Sandra Cisneros?
9. How is the concept of “borders” illustrated thematically in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
10. Aside from the instances of abuse, when does Cleofilas find her marriage difficult, according to the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Don Serafin in “Woman Hollering Creek.” What qualities does Don exhibit in the beginning of the story? How do you think Don feels about his daughter and her marriage to Don Pedro? Why?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of “Woman Hollering Creek.” In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does “Woman Hollering Creek” compare with other novels and short stories written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Sandra Cisneros’ writing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure and the use of flashbacks and flash-forwards in the narrative of “Woman Hollering Creek.” Why does the author choose to relate the story in this manner? How do these transitions in time and place impact the reader?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)