|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The heroine of “You or No One” is also said to be in commercials for what product in the story?
2. Graciela’s friend agrees to meet Cleofilas at a business by what interstate in order to take her to the bus station?
3. How many brothers did Sandra Cisneros grow up with?
4. Cleofilas was born and raised in what Mexican state?
5. Cleofilas imagines that who will be jealous of her after she’s moved to America and has a nice house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the names “Felice,” “Graciela,” and “Cleofilas” in the story? What meanings do these names have?
2. How does the narrative style of the story transition with the introduction of Graciela’s character?
3. What is Cleofilas’ reply when Juan Pedro asks her why she is anxious about seeing the doctor?
4. What is the subject of “Woman Hollering Creek”? Into what genre would you categorize the story?
5. How does Cleofilas compare romantic love to the love between parent and child?
6. How does Cleofilas compare Juan Pedro to the male stars of the telenovelas?
7. How do the characters of Felice and Graciela help Cleofilas on her personal journey in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
8. How is the theme of silence versus sound illustrated in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
9. What is demonstrated through the author’s use of foreshadowing in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
10. Why are the telenovelas important to Cleofilas in “Woman Hollering Creek”? How do they inform Cleofilas’ identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Juan Pedro Martinez Sanchez in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How old is Juan Pedro when he marries Cleofilas? Where does Juan Pedro imply he works before their wedding? How does Juan Pedro’s behavior toward Cleofilas change after the wedding?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and imagery surrounding Dolores’ garden in the story. What is ironic about the narrator’s descriptions of the flowers? What do these flowers represent to Dolores? What do they represent to Cleofilas?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history, geography, culture, and political atmosphere of Monclova, Coahuila, Mexico. Where in Mexico is the state of Monclova located? How far is this setting from the U.S. border? What was the political atmosphere here like in the late 1980s/early 1990s when the story was written?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)