|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the baby do as he pulls up fistfuls of grass by the creek?
2. In the town where Cleofilas grew up, the narrator says “there isn’t very much to do except accompany the aunts and godmothers to the house of one or the other to” do what?
3. What does the Spanish word “viejas” translate to in English?
4. As Cleofilas sits by the creek with her son in the beginning of the story, she thinks “How when a man and a woman love each other, sometimes that love” does what?
5. Who is the laundromat attendant whom Cleofilas asks about the name of Woman Hollering Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Cleofilas meets Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
2. What are Cleofilas’ feelings about the character of Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. How does Juan Pedro behave toward Cleofilas after he has beaten her for the first time? What is Cleofilas’ response?
4. Where does Cleofilas find and develop strength in order to pursue her escape in the story?
5. What differences does Cleofilas find when she returns home after giving birth to her son?
6. Where does the character of Dolores live? How is this character and her home described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. Where does Cleofilas go to watch telenovelas in Seguin? What plotline is described from the show she most enjoys?
8. How is the incident when Juan Pedro throws a book at Cleofilas described? What is Cleofilas’ reaction to this event?
9. What is Cleofilas’ “fatal flaw” in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
10. How is the character of Soledad described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “protagonist” in narrative literature and develop a list of the qualities a protagonist possesses. What indications does the author give that Cleofilas is the protagonist of “Woman Hollering Creek” in the beginning of the narrative? What are Cleofilas’ strengths as a protagonist? What are her weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Felice and her symbolic and metaphorical meaning in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How does Felice stand out as a role model to Cleofilas? In what ways does meeting Felice solidify Cleofilas’ decision to leave her abusive relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history, geography, culture, and political atmosphere of Monclova, Coahuila, Mexico. Where in Mexico is the state of Monclova located? How far is this setting from the U.S. border? What was the political atmosphere here like in the late 1980s/early 1990s when the story was written?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)