|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what business does Graciela’s friend agree to meet Cleofilas in order to drive her to the bus station?
2. The creek that runs behind Cleofilas’ house in America is called what in Spanish?
3. Dolores’ husband is said to have died from what in the story?
4. In Graciela’s phone call in the third section of the story, she tells her friend she can’t talk louder because she’s where?
5. Where does Cleofilas air out her husband’s shoes each evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Felice do when she drives past Woman Hollering Creek in the narrative? How does Cleofilas respond?
2. What about the creek by her house fascinates Cleofilas after her marriage? How does she pursue this matter?
3. In what ways does the story “Woman Hollering Creek” reflect the life of author Sandra Cisneros?
4. Where does Cleofilas find and develop strength in order to pursue her escape in the story?
5. How does Graciela describe Cleofilas and her condition to Felice? What does she ask Felice to do?
6. Who is getting married in the opening of “Woman Hollering Creek”? How are the cultural details of the event described?
7. Where does Cleofilas go to watch telenovelas in Seguin? What plotline is described from the show she most enjoys?
8. What is the subject of “Woman Hollering Creek”? Into what genre would you categorize the story?
9. How does the narrative transition when describing Cleofilas’ courtship with Juan Pedro? What expectations does Cleofilas illustrate here?
10. How does Cleofilas compare romantic love to the love between parent and child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Soledad and Trini in “Woman Hollering Creek.” What are Cleofilas’ thoughts and feelings about these characters? In what ways do they relate to Cleofilas? Why does Soledad consider herself a widow? For how long has her husband been gone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of love and passion in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How are love and passion defined in the story? How do these concepts differ from one another? Why does Cleofilas believe that suffering and pain are requisites for love and passion? Is she correct in her assumptions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Felice and her symbolic and metaphorical meaning in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How does Felice stand out as a role model to Cleofilas? In what ways does meeting Felice solidify Cleofilas’ decision to leave her abusive relationship?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)