|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describing Cleofilas’ name, Graciela suggests she is named after what?
2. The heroine of “You or No One” is also said to be in commercials for what product in the story?
3. When Felice drives across the creek with Cleofilas, she opens her mouth and lets “out a yell as loud as any” what?
4. Cleofilas longs to change her name to something that is more what?
5. Where was Sandra Cisneros born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Juan Pedro promise to take Cleofilas to obtain her wedding dress? Why does he want to marry quickly?
2. How are the roles of women defined by the society in which Cleofilas lives in the story?
3. Where does Cleofilas find and develop strength in order to pursue her escape in the story?
4. How does the narrative style of the story transition with the introduction of Graciela’s character?
5. How does Graciela describe Cleofilas and her condition to Felice? What does she ask Felice to do?
6. How does Cleofilas compare romantic love to the love between parent and child?
7. How is Cleofilas’ hometown described early in the story? How does Cleofilas spend her time there?
8. What is the subject of “Woman Hollering Creek”? Into what genre would you categorize the story?
9. Describe the narrative style of “Woman Hollering Creek.” How does the language in the story reinforce its themes?
10. How do the characters of Felice and Graciela help Cleofilas on her personal journey in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “protagonist” in narrative literature and develop a list of the qualities a protagonist possesses. What indications does the author give that Cleofilas is the protagonist of “Woman Hollering Creek” in the beginning of the narrative? What are Cleofilas’ strengths as a protagonist? What are her weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss one example of simile, metaphor, and personification (each) in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How is the creek itself described in the story? What are ways that personification is used to describe the creek or other aspects of the setting? What purpose does imagery serve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Gender roles in “Woman Hollering Creek”
a. Describe the gender roles and expectations of women in the story. How are these roles and expectations symbolized in the narrative? How do they relate to mythology, folklore, and popular culture?
b. Describe and discuss the gender roles and expectations for men in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How do these roles and expectations differ from those of women?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)