|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cleofilas air out her husband’s shoes each evening?
2. What does “La Llorona” translate to in English?
3. Graciela tells her friend on the phone that she would take Cleofilas to the bus station herself, but Cleofilas needs to be gone before what?
4. At what business does Graciela’s friend agree to meet Cleofilas in order to drive her to the bus station?
5. What cartoon character is described on the baby blanket that Cleofilas lays by the creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the incident when Juan Pedro throws a book at Cleofilas described? What is Cleofilas’ reaction to this event?
2. How is the myth of La Llorona described historically? What character is La Llorona similar to in the telenovelas described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. How does Cleofilas compare her life to the lives of the heroines of the telenovelas?
4. How are the roles of women defined by the society in which Cleofilas lives in the story?
5. What are Cleofilas’ feelings about the character of Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
6. What does Felice do when she drives past Woman Hollering Creek in the narrative? How does Cleofilas respond?
7. How does Cleofilas compare her hometown to that of Seguin, Texas, during the story?
8. Why are the telenovelas important to Cleofilas in “Woman Hollering Creek”? How do they inform Cleofilas’ identity?
9. What is the subject of “Woman Hollering Creek”? Into what genre would you categorize the story?
10. How does Cleofilas respond to her father’s statement in the opening of the story? Why does she react in this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of love and passion in “Woman Hollering Creek.” How are love and passion defined in the story? How do these concepts differ from one another? Why does Cleofilas believe that suffering and pain are requisites for love and passion? Is she correct in her assumptions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Cleofilas’ fears of death by abuse as indicated by her references to Alarma! magazine in the narrative. How does Cleofilas compare her situation with Juan Pedro to the stories in Alarma!? Why does she make these comparisons?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the mythology of La Llorona and its symbolic significance in “Woman Hollering Creek.” Why does the author choose to use allusion to this myth? How does the myth relate to the story’s themes? How do the characters of each story relate?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)