|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Felice says to Cleofilas as they drive out of town, “I guess you’re only famous if you’re” what?
(a) A teacher
(b) A mother
(c) A virgin
(d) A whore
2. Dolores’ house is said to smell strongly of what in the story?
(a) Beer and cigarettes
(b) Incense and candles
3. The cover of a Mexican news–magazine that depicts graphic images of death and mutilation is described by the narrator as having a lover on the cover photographed with what object that “she used to salvage her good name”?
(a) A weathered hatchet
(b) A smoking gun
(c) A rusty knife
(d) A bloody fork
4. Cleofilas thinks as she laments her unhappy marriage, “Everything happened to women with names like” what?
5. Who does the truck belong to that Felice picks Cleofilas up in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cleofilas’ neighbor to the right when she lives near Woman Hollering Creek?
2. Maximiliano was said to have killed who in a bar brawl?
3. When was the Spanish author Corin Tellado born?
4. What is Cleofilas’ presumed destination at the end of “Woman Hollering Creek”?
5. In the second section of the story, the narrator speaks in direct address to the reader, asking “Did you watch last night’s episode of” what show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does La Llorona represent symbolically and thematically in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
2. How does the meaning of the creek’s name change to Cleofilas at the end of the story?
3. How does the narrative style of the story transition with the introduction of Graciela’s character?
4. How would you characterize the plot structure of “Woman Hollering Creek”?
5. What kind of support does Soledad offer to Cleofilas in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
6. Where does the character of Dolores live? How is this character and her home described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. How is the first time that Juan Pedro beats Cleofilas described in the narrative? How does Cleofilas react?
8. How do dreams and reality contrast in Cleofilas’ marriage to Juan Pedro in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
9. Why does Cleofilas plead with Juan Pedro to take her to the doctor in the story?
10. How does the society presented in the story reinforce the behavior of Juan Pedro?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)