|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Graciela mean in Spanish?
2. What does the baby do as he pulls up fistfuls of grass by the creek?
(a) He weeps
(b) He laughs
(c) He sings
(d) He screams
3. What is the name of Cleofilas’ neighbor to the right when she lives near Woman Hollering Creek?
4. What does “La Llorona” translate to in English?
(a) Insightful woman
(b) The contented one
(c) Kind person
(d) The Weeping Woman
5. Who is the heroine of “You or No One”?
(b) Lucia Mendez
Short Answer Questions
1. What Spanish phrase in the story translates to “bad air”?
2. What is the name of Cleofilas’ son in the story?
3. What is the name of the city where Cleofilas was born and raised?
4. What is the name of Cleofilas’ father in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
5. Juan Pedro feels that if Cleofilas “had any brains in her head she’d realize he’s been up before” what, “earning his living”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do you imagine takes place between Cleofilas and Graciela at the clinic?
2. What are Cleofilas’ feelings about the character of Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. How does Cleofilas go about convincing Juan Pedro to take her to the doctor? What promises does she make?
4. Why are the telenovelas important to Cleofilas in “Woman Hollering Creek”? How do they inform Cleofilas’ identity?
5. What about the creek by her house fascinates Cleofilas after her marriage? How does she pursue this matter?
6. How do the characters of Felice and Graciela help Cleofilas on her personal journey in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. How does the narrative style of the story transition with the introduction of Graciela’s character?
8. Where does the character of Dolores live? How is this character and her home described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
9. What is the subject of “Woman Hollering Creek”? Into what genre would you categorize the story?
10. How does the narrative transition when describing Cleofilas’ courtship with Juan Pedro? What expectations does Cleofilas illustrate here?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)