|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Spanish word “viejas” translate to in English?
(a) Beautiful girl
(b) Old women
(c) Dirty boy
2. It is pointed out in “Woman Hollering Creek” that Cleofilas does not speak what language?
3. Dolores’ husband is said to have died from what in the story?
(a) A heart attack
4. Which character takes over the narration in the third section of “Woman Hollering Creek”?
5. What is the name of Cleofilas’ father in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
(a) Victor Diaz
(b) Juan Pedro
(c) Don Serafin
(d) Juan Carlos
Short Answer Questions
1. Sandra Cisneros’ anthology Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories was published in what year?
2. What is the name of the woman who drowns her children in the legend of “La Llorona”?
3. What word from the story refers to a dead body?
4. Who will apply the hair rinse that Cleofilas goes to buy early in the story?
5. The laughter that emerges from Cleofilas’ throat at the end of the story is described as “a long ribbon of laughter” like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cleofilas’ laughter described at the end of the story? What does the laughter symbolize?
2. What kind of support does Soledad offer to Cleofilas in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. How do the characters of Felice and Graciela help Cleofilas on her personal journey in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
4. What is the turning point for Cleofilas and her perceptions of identity in the story?
5. Why does Cleofilas plead with Juan Pedro to take her to the doctor in the story?
6. How does Graciela describe Cleofilas and her condition to Felice? What does she ask Felice to do?
7. How is the theme of silence versus sound illustrated in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
8. Describe the narrative style of “Woman Hollering Creek.” How does the language in the story reinforce its themes?
9. How does Cleofilas compare romantic love to the love between parent and child?
10. Why are the telenovelas important to Cleofilas in “Woman Hollering Creek”? How do they inform Cleofilas’ identity?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)