|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cleofilas considers her hometown to be “The town of gossips. The town of dust and” what?
2. What kind of vehicle is Felice driving when she arrives to meet Cleofilas?
(a) A luxury car
(b) A pickup truck
(c) A sports car
(d) A sedan
3. Corin Tellado published more than how many novels in her lifetime?
4. “Woman Hollering Creek” follows what style of plot structure?
5. The narrator states early in the story, “To suffer for love is” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Felice mean?
2. What does Cleofilas twist into knots, fans, and roses when she accompanies her husband to the bar in their first year of marriage?
3. Of Woman Hollering Creek, the narrator says that “no one could say whether the woman had hollered from anger or” what?
4. At what time is Cleofilas’ doctor’s appointment when she goes to see about the health of her second pregnancy?
5. In the town where Cleofilas grew up, the narrator says “there isn’t very much to do except accompany the aunts and godmothers to the house of one or the other to” do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does La Llorona represent symbolically and thematically in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
2. What is significant about the names “Felice,” “Graciela,” and “Cleofilas” in the story? What meanings do these names have?
3. What arrangements do Graciela and Felice make over the phone in the story? What urgency is illustrated in their plan?
4. How is the concept of “borders” illustrated thematically in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
5. Where does Juan Pedro promise to take Cleofilas to obtain her wedding dress? Why does he want to marry quickly?
6. What principle objective of Cleofilas’ is seen in the flashback at the beginning of the story? How does this objective tie into the plot of You or No One?
7. How is the theme of silence versus sound illustrated in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
8. How does Cleofilas respond to her father’s statement in the opening of the story? Why does she react in this way?
9. How is Cleofilas’ relationship with Trini described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
10. What are Cleofilas’ feelings about the character of Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)