|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says early in the story, “But what Cleofilas has been waiting for, has been whispering and sighing and giggling for, has been anticipating since she was old enough to lean against the window displays of gauze and butterflies and lace, is” what?
2. The heroine of “You or No One” is said to have endured “all kinds of hardships of the heart, separation and betrayal,” but she keeps doing what “because that is the most important thing”?
3. Of the “truth” that Cleofilas sees the men attempting to find at the bar, the narrator says that it “gurgles in the throat, it rolls across the surface of the tongue, and erupts from the lips” as what?
(a) A belch
(c) A poem
4. Cleofilas imagines that she will wear outfits like what television star once she lives in America?
(a) Lucia Mendez
(b) Elena Anaya
(c) Sara Carbonero
(d) Ivana Baquero
5. What is Juan Pedro described as kicking when he says “he hates this shitty house and is going out”?
(a) The oven
(b) The cabinets
(c) The refrigerator
(d) The television
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the story means causing a shudder or feeling of horror?
2. Where was Sandra Cisneros born?
3. In the telenovela Maria de Nadie, the heroine has the ill fortune of falling in love with the beautiful son of what family?
4. The first time that Juan Pedro beats Cleofilas, the narrator describes her lip bleeding like what?
5. According to the narrator, Juan Pedro’s face is still scarred from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cleofilas believes that the town of Seguin was built in such a way as to keep women dependent in what way?
2. How does Cleofilas compare her hometown to that of Seguin, Texas, during the story?
3. What is demonstrated through the author’s use of foreshadowing in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
4. Who is getting married in the opening of “Woman Hollering Creek”? How are the cultural details of the event described?
5. What conversation do you imagine takes place between Cleofilas and Graciela at the clinic?
6. How is Cleofilas’ relationship with Trini described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. What about the creek by her house fascinates Cleofilas after her marriage? How does she pursue this matter?
8. How does Cleofilas go about convincing Juan Pedro to take her to the doctor? What promises does she make?
9. How does Juan Pedro behave toward Cleofilas after he has beaten her for the first time? What is Cleofilas’ response?
10. What happens when Cleofilas meets Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)