|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cleofilas sip “until it grows warm” when she accompanies her husband to the bar in their first year of marriage?
(a) Gin and tonic
(b) A margarita
(c) A glass of whiskey
(d) A beer
2. What does Cleofilas twist into knots, fans, and roses when she accompanies her husband to the bar in their first year of marriage?
(a) Her hair
3. Felice asks Cleofilas as they drive out of town, “Did you ever notice how nothing around here is named after” what?
(a) The Bible
(b) A woman
(c) An animal
(d) A human being
4. “Woman Hollering Creek” follows what style of plot structure?
5. In what direction does Cleofilas’ father imagine her gazing when she might dream of returning home in the beginning of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cleofilas is looking for her maid of honor to fulfill what conspiracy in the opening of the story?
2. Cleofilas thinks as she laments her unhappy marriage, “Everything happened to women with names like” what?
3. Corin Tellado was a prolific Spanish writer of what genre?
4. How does Juan Pedro demand that each course of dinner be served?
5. Where does Cleofilas air out her husband’s shoes each evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cleofilas doubt her ability to return home when she considers it in the story?
2. What principle objective of Cleofilas’ is seen in the flashback at the beginning of the story? How does this objective tie into the plot of You or No One?
3. How would you describe the use of “archetypes” and “stereotypes” in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
4. Where does Cleofilas find and develop strength in order to pursue her escape in the story?
5. What does Cleofilas consider about her name in comparison with the characters from the telenovelas?
6. Where does the character of Dolores live? How is this character and her home described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. Where does Cleofilas go to watch telenovelas in Seguin? What plotline is described from the show she most enjoys?
8. What are Cleofilas’ feelings about the character of Felice in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
9. How is Cleofilas’ relationship with Trini described in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
10. What is foreshadowed by Don Serafin’s thoughts in the beginning of “Woman Hollering Creek”? How does he express his thoughts?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)