|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Graciela tells her friend on the telephone that Cleofilas has what all over her body?
2. In what direction does Cleofilas’ father imagine her gazing when she might dream of returning home in the beginning of the story?
3. Maximiliano was said to have killed who in a bar brawl?
(a) His mother
(b) His brother
(c) His wife
(d) His son
4. In the town where Cleofilas grew up, the narrator says “there isn’t very much to do except accompany the aunts and godmothers to the house of one or the other to” do what?
(a) Listen to the radio
(b) Talk and gossip
(c) Cook food
(d) Play cards
5. When was the Spanish author Corin Tellado born?
6. Graciela tells her friend on the phone that she would take Cleofilas to the bus station herself, but Cleofilas needs to be gone before what?
(a) Her husband gets home from work
(b) The weekend
(c) The sun goes down
(d) The sun comes up
7. Juan Pedro feels that if Cleofilas “had any brains in her head she’d realize he’s been up before” what, “earning his living”?
(a) The sheep
(b) The cows
(c) The rooster
(d) The dog
8. What does the Spanish word “viejas” translate to in English?
(a) Beautiful girl
(b) Old women
(c) Dirty boy
9. The heroine of “You or No One” is also said to be in commercials for what product in the story?
(a) Bic razors
(b) Bayer aspirin
(c) Suave shampoo
(d) Lubriderm lotion
10. How does Cleofilas feel about the name of Woman Hollering Creek?
11. Where does Juan Pedro say he’ll take Cleofilas to buy her wedding dress?
(a) Dallas, Texas
(b) Houston, Texas
(c) Amarillo, Texas
(d) Laredo, Texas
12. What is one of the central themes in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
(b) Political corruption
(c) Parental revenge
13. In the telenovela Maria de Nadie, the heroine has the ill fortune of falling in love with the beautiful son of what family?
(a) The Morales family
(b) The Arrocha family
(c) The Ortiz family
(d) The Hernandez family
14. What genre of which Sandra Cisneros is associated, refers to literature written by Mexican Americans in the United States?
(a) Chicano literature
(b) Absurdist literature
(c) Spanish literature
(d) Modernist literature
15. What trees outside of Cleofilas’ home are said to rustle “like ladies in stiff petticoats”?
(a) Almond trees
(b) Pecan trees
(c) Peach trees
(d) Apple trees
Short Answer Questions
1. In comparing Seguin, Texas to her hometown, Cleofilas notes that in Seguin there is no “huddled whispering on the church steps each Sunday” because here the whispering begins where at sunset?
2. According to the narrator, Juan Pedro’s face is still scarred from what?
3. How many brothers did Sandra Cisneros grow up with?
4. What Spanish word in the story refers to the store where Cleofilas goes to buy a hair rinse?
5. What is the name of Cleofilas’ neighbor to the right when she lives near Woman Hollering Creek?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)