|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flowers in Dolores’ garden are described as “fringed and bleeding a thick menstrual color”?
2. Regarding Cleofilas’ feelings for Juan Pedro, the narrator states, “She has to remind herself why she loves him when she changes” what?
(a) Her daily routine
(b) The baby’s Pampers
(c) Her clothes
(d) The bed sheets
3. What word from the story means “creek” in Spanish?
4. Where does Cleofilas air out her husband’s shoes each evening?
(a) In the bedroom
(b) In the bathroom
(c) In the laundry room
(d) On the porch
5. Who does the truck belong to that Felice picks Cleofilas up in?
6. The narrator says early in the story, “But what Cleofilas has been waiting for, has been whispering and sighing and giggling for, has been anticipating since she was old enough to lean against the window displays of gauze and butterflies and lace, is” what?
7. What does the narrator describe Cleofilas buying in the center of the town where she grew up in “that will appear in a day and a half as a pimple on her backside”?
(a) A burrito
(b) A slice of cake
(c) Chocolate chip cookies
(d) A milk shake
8. Dolores’ husband is said to have died from what in the story?
(b) A heart attack
9. In the folk tale of La Llorona which is cited in “Woman Hollering Creek,” the heroine is not allowed into heaven until she has found what?
(a) Her children
(b) Her Bible
(c) Her husband
(d) Her mother
10. What does Cleofilas’ father say to her “in the hubbub of parting” in the beginning of the story?
(a) May you live happily ever after
(b) I am your father, I will never abandon you
(c) Make sure he treats you right
(d) You always were my favorite
11. What does Graciela say she was performing on Cleofilas when she began crying in her phone call?
(a) A seismogram
(b) A hologram
(c) A cardiogram
(d) A sonogram
12. Cleofilas believes that Juan Pedro has “a very important position” at a company that makes what?
13. It is pointed out in “Woman Hollering Creek” that Cleofilas does not speak what language?
14. In what direction does Cleofilas’ father imagine her gazing when she might dream of returning home in the beginning of the story?
15. La Llorona in "Woman Hollering Creek" represents an archetype for the woman who suffers endlessly for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Graciela mean in Spanish?
2. Which character takes over the narration in the third section of “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. Where does Cleofilas find Juan Pedro’s whiskers every morning?
4. The name “Dolores” means what in Spanish?
5. What Spanish phrase from the story translates to “my darling”?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)