|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the short story refers to limited–run serial dramatic television shows that are popular in Latin America?
(a) Mi querida
(c) La Malinche
2. What Spanish phrase from the story translates to “that life”?
(a) Entiendes? Pues
(b) Mala suerte
(c) Tu o Nadie
(d) Que vida
3. In what year did Mexico win independence from Spain?
4. La Llorona in "Woman Hollering Creek" represents an archetype for the woman who suffers endlessly for what?
5. The heroine of “You or No One” is also said to be in commercials for what product in the story?
(a) Bic razors
(b) Bayer aspirin
(c) Lubriderm lotion
(d) Suave shampoo
6. How many brothers does Cleofilas have in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. What is the name of the wealthy son that the heroine of Maria de Nadie falls in love with?
(a) Enrique Antonio
(b) Horacio Pedro
(c) Juan Carlos
(d) Victor Silvio
8. Cleofilas longs to change her name to something that is more what?
9. What does the laundromat attendant yell at Cleofilas for after her son is born?
(a) Letting him cry constantly
(b) Breast feeding him
(c) Letting him run around naked
(d) Changing his diapers
10. What does Graciela say she was performing on Cleofilas when she began crying in her phone call?
(a) A seismogram
(b) A hologram
(c) A cardiogram
(d) A sonogram
11. What does the name Felice mean?
12. The creek that runs behind Cleofilas’ house in America is called what in Spanish?
(a) La Gritona
(b) Que vida
(c) Mala suerte
(d) Mi querida
13. In what direction does Cleofilas’ father imagine her gazing when she might dream of returning home in the beginning of the story?
14. The narrator describes the character of Maximiliano how in the story?
(a) The foul-smelling fool from across the road
(b) The lazy bank teller
(c) The well-dressed businessman from across town
(d) The hardworking miner
15. Cleofilas believes that Juan Pedro has “a very important position” at a company that makes what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says early in the story, “But what Cleofilas has been waiting for, has been whispering and sighing and giggling for, has been anticipating since she was old enough to lean against the window displays of gauze and butterflies and lace, is” what?
2. What trees outside of Cleofilas’ home are said to rustle “like ladies in stiff petticoats”?
3. What Spanish phrase from the story is translated as “on the other side”?
4. When did Hernan Cortes and the Spanish conquistadors conquer the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan?
5. What is Cleofilas doing when Maximiliano makes a rude gesture implying she needs to have sex?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)