|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time is Cleofilas’ doctor’s appointment when she goes to see about the health of her second pregnancy?
2. What does Graciela say she was performing on Cleofilas when she began crying in her phone call?
(a) A cardiogram
(b) A seismogram
(c) A hologram
(d) A sonogram
3. What trees outside of Cleofilas’ home are said to rustle “like ladies in stiff petticoats”?
(a) Almond trees
(b) Peach trees
(c) Pecan trees
(d) Apple trees
4. What word from the story refers to a dead body?
5. What flowers in Dolores’ garden have a sad scent that “reminded Cleofilas of the dead”?
6. The cover of a Mexican news–magazine that depicts graphic images of death and mutilation is described by the narrator as having a lover on the cover photographed with what object that “she used to salvage her good name”?
(a) A weathered hatchet
(b) A bloody fork
(c) A rusty knife
(d) A smoking gun
7. What is Cleofilas doing when Maximiliano makes a rude gesture implying she needs to have sex?
(b) Reading a book
(c) Cooking dinner
(d) Washing dishes
8. Cleofilas and Juan Pedro plan to get married in what season?
9. What is Cleofilas’ full name in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
(a) Cleofilas Chiquita Ramirez Sanchez
(b) Cleofilas Juanita Ortiz Gomez
(c) Cleofilas Enriqueta DeLeon Hernandez
(d) Cleofilas Isabella Rodriguez Martinez
10. Cleofilas considers that her husband and the other men at the bar are “nightly trying to find the truth lying at the bottom of the bottle like” what?
(a) A gold doubloon on the sea floor
(b) A stone on a mountaintop
(c) A friend in a grave
(d) A ring in a drainpipe
11. What item does Cleofilas lament not having in her home with Juan Pedro in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
(a) A washing machine
(b) A dishwasher
(c) A television
(d) A radio
12. What does the laundromat attendant first yell at Cleofilas for, according to the narrator?
(a) Overloading the machines
(b) Putting too much soap in the machines
(c) Leaving the machines unattended
(d) Hanging her clothes to dry
13. How many brothers did Sandra Cisneros grow up with?
14. What phrase used in the story translates to “princess”?
(a) Tu o Nadie
(b) Que vida
(c) La Llorona
(d) La consentida
15. What is the full name of Juan Pedro in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
(a) Juan Pedro Gomez Mendoza
(b) Juan Pedro Martinez Sanchez
(c) Juan Pedro Garcia Silva
(d) Juan Pedro Romero Munoz
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Cleofilas seen women being struck before her husband began beating her?
2. What is Graciela’s position in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
3. Because Cleofilas’ first child was turned backwards, she had what performed?
4. Cleofilas imagines that who will be jealous of her after she’s moved to America and has a nice house?
5. What Spanish phrase is translated in the story as “You or No One”?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)