|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cleofilas considers that her husband and the other men at the bar are “nightly trying to find the truth lying at the bottom of the bottle like” what?
(a) A gold doubloon on the sea floor
(b) A ring in a drainpipe
(c) A friend in a grave
(d) A stone on a mountaintop
2. What Spanish phrase in the story translates to “bad air”?
(a) Mala suerte
(b) Mi querida
(d) Mal aire
3. Who will apply the hair rinse that Cleofilas goes to buy early in the story?
4. What is Juan Pedro said to do in public by the narrator?
(a) Cuts his fingernails
(b) Cuts his hair
(c) Weeps openly
(d) Beats the children
5. The heroine of “You or No One” is said to have endured “all kinds of hardships of the heart, separation and betrayal,” but she keeps doing what “because that is the most important thing”?
6. How many brothers does Cleofilas have in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
7. Of the “truth” that Cleofilas sees the men attempting to find at the bar, the narrator says that it “gurgles in the throat, it rolls across the surface of the tongue, and erupts from the lips” as what?
(a) A poem
(c) A belch
8. What does Juan Pedro do after beating Cleofilas for the first time, and the times after it?
(a) He laughs
(b) He beats himself
(c) He weeps
(d) He calls his mother
9. How is Juan Pedro’s vehicle described in the beginning of the story?
(a) A new pickup
(b) A new convertible
(c) An old sedan
(d) An old semi
10. Where was Sandra Cisneros born?
(a) Denver, Colorado
(b) Concord, New Hampshire
(c) San Jose, California
(d) Chicago, Illinois
11. Where does Cleofilas find Juan Pedro’s whiskers every morning?
(a) In the sink
(b) On the table
(c) In the bed
(d) On the floor
12. What does Cleofilas twist into knots, fans, and roses when she accompanies her husband to the bar in their first year of marriage?
(c) Her hair
13. The narrator compares the men of the bar do what creatures, “chasing their own tails before lying down to sleep”?
14. The creek that runs behind Cleofilas’ house in America is called what in Spanish?
(a) Que vida
(b) La Gritona
(c) Mi querida
(d) Mala suerte
15. “You or No One” is a title of what the short story?
(a) A folk song
(b) A Bollywood film
(c) A telenovela
(d) A stage play
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cleofilas’ father in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
2. Which of Cleofilas’ neighbors considers herself a widow but never mentions her husband?
3. In Seguin, Cleofilas feels that “the towns here are built so that you have to depend on” what?
4. What kind of vehicle is Felice driving when she arrives to meet Cleofilas?
5. The heroine of “You or No One” is also said to be in commercials for what product in the story?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)