|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who drowns her children in the legend of “La Llorona”?
2. The laughter that emerges from Cleofilas’ throat at the end of the story is described as “a long ribbon of laughter” like what?
(a) An avalanche
3. In the town where Cleofilas grew up, the narrator says “there isn’t very much to do except accompany the aunts and godmothers to the house of one or the other to” do what?
(a) Play cards
(b) Talk and gossip
(c) Listen to the radio
(d) Cook food
4. What is the heroine’s relationship to the family whose son she falls in love with in Maria de Nadie?
(a) She has been adopted by them
(b) She has robbed them
(c) Her family has a rivalry with them
(d) She works for them
5. What word from the short story refers to limited–run serial dramatic television shows that are popular in Latin America?
(c) La Malinche
(d) Mi querida
6. How many sons did Dolores lose in the last war?
7. Regarding Cleofilas’ feelings for Juan Pedro, the narrator states, “She has to remind herself why she loves him when she changes” what?
(a) The baby’s Pampers
(b) The bed sheets
(c) Her clothes
(d) Her daily routine
8. Of Woman Hollering Creek, the narrator says that “no one could say whether the woman had hollered from anger or” what?
9. On what day of the week does Graciela’s friend agree to take Cleofilas to the bus station?
10. What Spanish word from the story translates to “pregnant”?
11. How many brothers does Cleofilas have in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
12. What kind of vehicle is Felice driving when she arrives to meet Cleofilas?
(a) A sedan
(b) A sports car
(c) A luxury car
(d) A pickup truck
13. In Seguin, Cleofilas feels that “the towns here are built so that you have to depend on” what?
14. In Graciela’s phone call in the third section of the story, she tells her friend she can’t talk louder because she’s where?
(a) At school
(b) At the library
(c) In church
(d) At work
15. According to the narrator, Juan Pedro is not very tall and doesn’t look like the men on what?
(a) The nightly news
(b) The telenovelas
(c) The magazines
(d) The newspapers
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city where Cleofilas was born and raised?
2. It is pointed out in “Woman Hollering Creek” that Cleofilas does not speak what language?
3. How is Juan Pedro said to laugh, according to the narrator?
4. What does Graciela say she was performing on Cleofilas when she began crying in her phone call?
5. Where does author Sandra Cisneros live?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)