|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Juan Pedro say he’ll take Cleofilas to buy her wedding dress?
(a) Laredo, Texas
(b) Amarillo, Texas
(c) Houston, Texas
(d) Dallas, Texas
2. Corin Tellado published more than how many novels in her lifetime?
3. Dolores’ husband is said to have died from what in the story?
(d) A heart attack
4. Cleofilas laments that her life has become like a telenovela except there are no what for comic relief?
(a) Clown characters
(b) Illegitimate affairs
(c) Funny romances
5. Who does the truck belong to that Felice picks Cleofilas up in?
6. “You or No One” is a title of what the short story?
(a) A folk song
(b) A Bollywood film
(c) A stage play
(d) A telenovela
7. The first time that Juan Pedro beats Cleofilas, the narrator describes her lip bleeding like what?
(a) A rose
(b) A cockscomb
(c) A sunflower
(d) An orchid
8. In some variations of the legend of La Llorona, she merges into what mistress of the conqueror Hernan Cortes?
(a) La Malinche
(b) La Viuda
(c) La Llorona
(d) La Consentida
9. Graciela tells her friend on the telephone that Cleofilas has what all over her body?
10. The creek that runs behind Cleofilas’ house in America is called what in Spanish?
(a) Mala suerte
(b) La Gritona
(c) Mi querida
(d) Que vida
11. What is the name of Cleofilas’ neighbor to the right when she lives near Woman Hollering Creek?
12. What is Cleofilas doing when Maximiliano makes a rude gesture implying she needs to have sex?
(a) Washing dishes
(b) Cooking dinner
(d) Reading a book
13. What word from the story refers to a dead body?
14. On the nights when Juan Pedro does not come home, Cleofilas is said to lie on “her side of the bed listening to the hollow roar of” what?
(a) The thunder
(b) The owls
(c) The wind
(d) The interstate
15. What is one of the central themes in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
(a) Political corruption
(d) Parental revenge
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, Juan Pedro is not very tall and doesn’t look like the men on what?
2. What does the Spanish word “pues” translate to in English?
3. The narrator compares the men of the bar do what creatures, “chasing their own tails before lying down to sleep”?
4. What does Graciela say she was performing on Cleofilas when she began crying in her phone call?
5. Cleofilas imagines that she will wear outfits like what television star once she lives in America?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)