|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Felice mean?
2. Cleofilas considers that her husband and the other men at the bar are “nightly trying to find the truth lying at the bottom of the bottle like” what?
(a) A stone on a mountaintop
(b) A ring in a drainpipe
(c) A gold doubloon on the sea floor
(d) A friend in a grave
3. In the second section of the story, the narrator speaks in direct address to the reader, asking “Did you watch last night’s episode of” what show?
(a) The Rich Also Cry
(b) The Farmer’s Wife
(c) Days of Our Lives
(d) The Bold and the Beautiful
4. What does the baby do as he pulls up fistfuls of grass by the creek?
(a) He laughs
(b) He weeps
(c) He screams
(d) He sings
5. According to the narrator, Juan Pedro is not very tall and doesn’t look like the men on what?
(a) The newspapers
(b) The magazines
(c) The telenovelas
(d) The nightly news
6. Cleofilas laments that her life has become like a telenovela except there is no what in sight?
(a) Screaming harpy
(b) Handsome suitor
(c) Loving family
(d) Happy ending
7. What cartoon character is described on the baby blanket that Cleofilas lays by the creek?
(a) Woody Woodpecker
(b) Donald Duck
(c) Speedy Gonzales
(d) Mickey Mouse
8. Woman Hollering Creek is known as the creek one passes on their way where, according to the narrator?
(a) Austin, Texas
(b) Laredo, Texas
(c) San Antonio, Texas
(d) Seguin, Texas
9. What does Cleofilas make for the doorways without doors in their home?
10. Cleofilas tells her husband that she has a doctor’s appointment on what day of the week and asks him to take her?
11. According to the narrator, Juan Pedro has a bit of a belly from what?
(a) The wine he drinks
(b) The beer he drinks
(c) Eating sweets
(d) Eating too much meat
12. Cleofilas believes that Juan Pedro has “a very important position” at a company that makes what?
13. What is the heroine’s relationship to the family whose son she falls in love with in Maria de Nadie?
(a) She works for them
(b) She has robbed them
(c) Her family has a rivalry with them
(d) She has been adopted by them
14. Cleofilas considers her hometown to be “The town of gossips. The town of dust and” what?
15. Who is the laundromat attendant whom Cleofilas asks about the name of Woman Hollering Creek?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons did Dolores lose in the last war?
2. What Spanish word from the story translates to “pregnant”?
3. Maximiliano was said to have killed who in a bar brawl?
4. Of Woman Hollering Creek, the narrator says that “no one could say whether the woman had hollered from anger or” what?
5. What is the full name of Juan Pedro in “Woman Hollering Creek”?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)