|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the man in the luxury car offer Firdaus for her services?
2. Who did Ibrahim become engaged to?
3. Why did El Saadawi step on her accelerator?
4. What did Firdaus learn about men?
5. Why did Ibrahim admire Firdaus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new job did Firdaus take after speaking to Di'aa? What did she think of the job?
2. What happened between Firdaus and Ibrahim at the bus stop?
3. How did Firdaus change after going to the restaurant?
4. How was Firdaus' relationship with Ibrahim similar to her relationship with Miss Iqbal?
5. What did Firdaus believe being a prostitute proved to people?
6. What does the quote "I am speaking the truth. And truth is savage and dangerous" mean?
7. What did the guards mean in Chapter 3 when they said "Your time has come"?
8. How did Firdaus' relationship change with Sharifa Salah el Dine from her first few days at her home and later as time progressed?
9. What happened to Firdaus when she went to the restaurant?
10. How did Firdaus' life change at the age of 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does El Saadawi address the theme of power in her book? Choose two examples of power and explain how these examples contribute to Firdaus' experience.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship Firdaus had with both Ibrahim and her teacher from boarding school. Why was she unable to express her feelings for these two people in words?
Essay Topic 3
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)