|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ibrahim become engaged to?
2. What did Di'aa tell Firdaus he wanted to do with her?
3. What did Ibrahim confess to Firdaus at the bus stop?
4. Why did Sharifa Salah el Dine believe men did not know Firdaus' true worth?
5. What river did Firdaus watch from her window every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ibrahim?
2. What does the quote "I am speaking the truth. And truth is savage and dangerous" mean?
3. Why did Firdaus tear apart the Arab man's money?
4. What happened when Firdaus stopped speaking? How did El Saadawi react?
5. Who is Marzouk and what did Firdaus do to him?
6. Why did El Saadawi feel ashamed after hearing Firdaus' story?
7. What were Firdaus' thoughts on men after Ibrahim's engagement?
8. How did Firdaus' life change at the age of 25?
9. What happened when Firdaus saw Ibrahim four years later?
10. Who is Di'aa, and how did he change Firdaus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does El Saadawi play in this book other then author? How does she relate to Firdaus? Do they learn from each other or is El Saadawi the only one that benefits from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events of Firdaus' life. How does she change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Firdaus is innocent at the start of the book? Choose one other character in the book (other than El Saadawi) and explain their relationship with Firdaus.
Essay Topic 3
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)