|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Firdaus manage her life at the Sheikh Mahmoud and her uncle's homes?
2. What did Firdaus see at the place her uncle takes her after graduation?
3. How did Firdaus help at her uncle's house?
4. What did her uncle tell Firdaus is a sin in Chapter 2?
5. Who interrupted Firdaus' packing in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when El Saadawi went to her car at the end of Chapter 1?
2. What is Firdaus' initial reaction to El Saadawi's interest in her story?
3. Who did Firdaus spit on and why?
4. What was El Saadawi's initial meeting with Firdaus like?
5. Why did Firdaus' uncle change? How did he change?
6. Why was Firdaus able to maintain her sanity at her uncle and husband's home?
7. What was El Saadawi's interaction with the warden at the prison?
8. Why did Firdaus' uncle return Firdaus to Sheikh Mahmoud?
9. What happens between Firdaus and her uncle on cold nights?
10. What happened the night Firdaus saw Miss Iqbal crying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering El Saadawi's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for this book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe El Saadawi set out to achieve with this book? Did she accomplish it?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of Firdaus' uncle returning her to her husband's home. Why did Firdaus return to her uncle's home. How did his rejection effect her?
Essay Topic 3
What role does El Saadawi play in this book other then author? How does she relate to Firdaus? Do they learn from each other or is El Saadawi the only one that benefits from the relationship?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)