|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sheikh Mahmoud beat Firdaus with the time she ran to the streets?
2. Where does Firdaus invite El Saadawi to sit when they meet for the first time in Chapter 1?
3. Why does the doctor in Chapter 1 want to change Firdaus' sentence?
4. What job did El Saadawi hold in 1972?
5. Who came to see Firdaus at the playground the night of her graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Firdaus' family like?
2. How did Firdaus feel about her upcoming marriage?
3. How did Firdaus cover up her fears as a prostitute?
4. How did Firdaus react after spending the night with Sheikh Mahmoud ? Why did she react this way?
5. How was Firdaus unlike the other prisoners?
6. What happened the night Firdaus saw Miss Iqbal crying?
7. How did El Saadawi finally meet Firdaus?
8. Who is Bayoumi and how did he help and hurt Firdaus?
9. What happened when El Saadawi went to her car at the end of Chapter 1?
10. What was Firdaus's relationship with her uncle when she lived with her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the significance of Firdaus' uncle returning her to her husband's home. Why did Firdaus return to her uncle's home. How did his rejection effect her?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the quote "I value my honor and reputation more than the other girls, but my price is much higher than theirs." When did she say this and in what context?
Essay Topic 3
Firdaus meets many interesting people at boarding school. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or a few that she meets that influence her life, and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)