|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Iqbal?
2. Who is Firdaus?
3. What was El Saadawi's response to Firdaus' death?
4. How did Firdaus feel about herself in Chapter 2?
5. How does Firdaus feel about her "unknown journey" in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Firdaus unlike the other prisoners?
2. Why was Firdaus sent to jail?
3. What happened the night Firdaus saw Miss Iqbal crying?
4. How did Sheikh Mahmoud treat Firdaus?
5. What was Firdaus' family like?
6. Why is El-Saadawi interested in studying prison settings?
7. How did Miss Iqbal treat Firdaus after she saw her crying?
8. How did Firdaus cover up her fears as a prostitute?
9. Why was Firdaus able to maintain her sanity at her uncle and husband's home?
10. Describe the boarding school that Firdaus is sent to.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is symbolism and how did El Saadawi use it in her book? Provide two examples of symbolism and what they mean to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe one central conflict in El-Saadawi book. How does this conflict effect the actions of Firdaus?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Firdaus and her madame. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways that the madame helps and hurts Firdaus.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)