|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Firdaus when her name was called at graduation.
2. In Chapter 2, what did Firdaus promise her cousin?
3. What did Firdaus see at the place her uncle takes her after graduation?
4. How did Firdaus stay warm on the cold nights at her uncles' house?
5. How did Firdaus' mother mutilate her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Firdaus perform at school? What were here interests?
2. Why is El-Saadawi interested in studying prison settings?
3. What is the doctor's opinion of Firdaus?
4. Why was Firdaus sent to jail?
5. What were Firdaus' instructions to El Saadawi and why?
6. Why did Firdaus' uncle return Firdaus to Sheikh Mahmoud?
7. How did Firdaus react after spending the night with Sheikh Mahmoud ? Why did she react this way?
8. Why does El Saadawi refuse to believe Firdaus died?
9. What was Firdaus' family like?
10. What was Firdaus's relationship with her uncle when she lived with her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is symbolism and how did El Saadawi use it in her book? Provide two examples of symbolism and what they mean to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events of Firdaus' life. How does she change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Firdaus is innocent at the start of the book? Choose one other character in the book (other than El Saadawi) and explain their relationship with Firdaus.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Firdaus and her madame. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways that the madame helps and hurts Firdaus.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)