|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Firdaus when her name was called at graduation.
2. Who slept on the floor in Firdaus' room in Chapter 2?
3. What could Sheikh Mahmoud offer Firdaus' uncle?
4. Why does Firdaus' uncle return her to Sheikh Mahmoud?
5. How did Firdaus manage her life at the Sheikh Mahmoud and her uncle's homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What study led El Saadawi to find Firdaus?
2. Why did Firdaus' uncle return Firdaus to Sheikh Mahmoud?
3. Why did Firdaus' uncle change? How did he change?
4. What was El Saadawi's interaction with the warden at the prison?
5. How did Firdaus feel about her upcoming marriage?
6. What happened the night Firdaus saw Miss Iqbal crying?
7. Who is Sheikh Mahmoud ?
8. Who is Bayoumi and how did he help and hurt Firdaus?
9. How did Sheikh Mahmoud treat Firdaus?
10. What were Firdaus' instructions to El Saadawi and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Firdaus and her madame. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways that the madame helps and hurts Firdaus.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)