|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does Firdaus run to when she becomes afraid of Sheikh Mahmoud?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her mother.
2. In what year does El Saadawi go to prison?
3. What instructions does Firdaus give El Saadawi at the start of Chapter 2?
(a) Do not look her in the eyes.
(b) Close your eyes.
(c) Do not interrupt.
(d) Ask questions.
4. In Chapter 2, how did Firdaus' uncle treat his new wife?
(a) With courtesy.
(b) With love.
(c) Like a slave.
(d) With hatred.
5. What does Firdaus do when Sheikh Mahmoud beats her?
(a) Fights back.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Calls her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bayoumi offer Firdaus help in finding?
2. Who is Firdaus?
3. What did Firdaus' father teach her to do that replaces her mother's job?
4. Why is Firdaus' uncle concered about Sheikh Mahmoud?
5. Why did Firdaus complain about Bayoumi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Firdaus react after spending the night with Sheikh Mahmoud ? Why did she react this way?
2. Why is El-Saadawi interested in studying prison settings?
3. What did the guards mean in Chapter 3 when they said "Your time has come"?
4. What was Firdaus' family like?
5. Who is Di'aa, and how did he change Firdaus?
6. Who is Marzouk and what did Firdaus do to him?
7. Who is Ibrahim?
8. What happened when Firdaus saw Ibrahim four years later?
9. How did Firdaus' life change at the age of 25?
10. Who did Firdaus spit on and why?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)