• This book is about life of Firdaus, an Egyptian woman sentenced to death for killing a man.
• Firdaus is imprisoned for killing a pimp who beats and rapes her.
• Nawal El Saadawi writes this novel after an encounter with a woman in the Qanatir Prison.
• El Saadawi decides to research the case studies of women suffering from neurosis in Egypt.
• She decides to interview women in prison, it is hear she meets Firdaus.
• El Saadawi focuses on her twenty case studies and publishes "Women and Neurosis in Egypt" in 1976.
• El Saadawi returns to the same jail she visits in 1981 as a prisoner.
• When El Saadawi is imprisoned in 1981, she tries to catch a glimpse of Firdaus .
• Chapter 1
• El Saadawi tells the story of a real woman she met several years earlier at Qanatir Prison.
• The doctor at the prison tells her about a woman...
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)