|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie notice about the stranger immediately?
2. When the Wolves come to the community, what do they take with them?
3. With whom is the second-hand bookstore owner in trouble?
4. Why does Jake pick the object up off of the ground in the vacant lot?
5. Why does Eddie think that there is a reason he and Jake traveled to the bookstore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jake grab off of the ground when they are at the vacant lot?
2. What is significant about the setting for this story?
3. What is the significance of Eddie and Jake traveling back to Manhattan in the year 1977?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Roland feel when he arrives in Calla Bryn Sturgis?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, how does Father Callahan come to recognize a certain type of fictional creature?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 2, "Dry Twist," what affliction does Roland reveal to readers and why is it a cause for concern?
7. What type of person does Father Callahan appear to be?
8. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, what does the group from the Calla explain to Roland and his ka-tet about the Wolves?
9. What does Roland tell Eddie at the end of Part 2, Chapter 2, about Susannah?
10. Why is the vacant lot so important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances in this book that appear to be coincidences on the surface but, when examined deeper, are much more important. For instance, the word "Calla" is part of Father Callahan's name, and Father Callahan is really the individual responsible for bringing the village, the gunslinger, and the ka-tet together. What other such coincidences exist in the text, and how are they relevant to one another? Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Jake brings up the topic of trust when speaking with Roland about Susannah. Jake believes that Roland is hurting the ka-tet's cohesion by not being honest with everyone. What are the risks and benefits of Roland's secrecy?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Father Callahan being a Catholic priest and his being an alcoholic?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)