|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the object Jake picks up off the ground by the vacant lot?
2. What does the contract say that the mobsters and the second-hand bookstore owner were reading ?
3. What does the stranger tell Roland specifically?
4. When the ka-tet goes to sleep that night after meeting the villagers, what happens?
5. How often do the Wolves come to Calla Bryn Sturgis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake react to the newcomers?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, how does Father Callahan come to recognize a certain type of fictional creature?
3. What is significant about the setting for this story?
4. What is Tian's motivation for bringing the community together and suggesting that the entire village stand up and fight against the Wolves?
5. Why does Roland tell Jake to spend the night with Benny Slightman?
6. Why does Roland demonstrate the ka-tet's abilities to the group from the Calla in Part 1, Chapter 6?
7. The leader of the mysterious group following the ka-tet approaches the ka-tet and reveals the group's purpose. Who is this group and what is their purpose?
8. Roland and his ka-tet meet Father Callahan and the rest of his group from Calla Bryn Sturgis. Why does this group approach the gunslinger and his ka-tet?
9. Why does Roland assign Susannah a role where she is to sit back and observe the strangers from the Calla rather than take an active part in their conversations?
10. What type of person does Father Callahan appear to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the community of Calla Bryn Sturgis. What kinds of people live there? What are the relationships of the villagers like with each other? How does this make their victimization from the Wolves even more devastating?
Essay Topic 2
Jake feels guilt over what he saw at the embankment and at the Dogan as well as when Benny is killed during the battle with the Wolves. Is there any justification in his guilt? Explain your answer and use the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Jake brings up the topic of trust when speaking with Roland about Susannah. Jake believes that Roland is hurting the ka-tet's cohesion by not being honest with everyone. What are the risks and benefits of Roland's secrecy?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)